1LtCAP

moms home care aid

is a friggin ANGEL.

her birthday was yesterday. i'd really like to do something for her or get her something for her birthday, but haven't got a clue what would/could be appropriate. as it stands, i'm leaning towards a gift certificate to a decent eatery like the lamp post diner or something similar.

anyone got any suggestions?

i'm mostly asking 'cause i'm generally not a fan of gift certificates........

A thoughtful letter and few hundred dollar bills. Eating out is nice, but she may want or need to use the money for other things.

I believe most home care aides work for big companies and are paid shit. IMHO, it is a travesty how little we pay these people.

• Agree 6

I kind of when through same things years ago.

I went the route @dajonga mentioned, later found out she was a single parent and never ate out, didn’t trust eatery food, she used it on her 2 kids.

I gave her an envelope and a note saying she was appreciated.

Also when I had to go the nursing home route, I would buy lunch every now and then for the day and night crew that took care of her as a thank you, small gestures go a long way.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

Cash and a nice note.

I would definitely do that if you've found someone to care for your mother that's truly an angel. Friends of mine are on their fourth or fifth iteration and are still not happy with the 'service'.

Here's the good news: your mother is in your house, so you know exactly what is or isn't going on. That definitely beats running back and forth to a facility of some sort. Even a close one. That's why we kept my mother with us for six years.

Best of luck and health to your mother.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:48 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i'm mostly asking 'cause i'm generally not a fan of gift certificates........

Cash is my favorite gift.

I hate gift cards.

They're a hassle, get forgotten or lost and give money to woke leftist LGBTQ loving corporations.

• Agree 1

i'm way late on this update.

i gave her a comedic birthday card, and dropped a couple $100 bills in there. left it on the table with the notebook that her and i use to keep tabs on mom.........in that nights note, she was VERY surprised, and happy. she said it made her day. i'm glad. i was looking to over-complicate things with my gift card idea, so although i shoulda thought of the cash idea myselfr, the fact is i was too much of a dumbass to. i REALLY appreciate everyones input.

• Like 5

On 7/12/2023 at 5:18 AM, Bklynracer said:

So wrong,

Your a caring son wanting to go the right thing. Sometimes we complicate things by over thinking.

you're probably on point. i am hard on myself. especially when i feel like i've overlooked something that should have been obvious. thanks man.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, 1LtCAP said:

so although i shoulda thought of the cash idea myselfr, the fact is i was too much of a dumbass to.

Cut yourself some major slack. Between running your business and overseeing (and/or actually doing) the care for your mother the small details of life tend to be crowded out. I'm sure compensation in any form would have been greatly appreciated. Cash just happens to be the most fluid and straightforward.

But believe it or not, actual RECOGNITION OF and THANKS FOR a job well done goes a long way too. So the card was an excellent idea.

One of my friends just buried his very elderly father yesterday. That was the end of a long and intense road for both of them. And another friend is still trying to find a home health aid for his mother at her own home that actually lives up to the job description. I'm sure the 'angel'' you found is a godsend.

In retrospect,. we had it comparatively easy with my mother in house for six years. But it was still something constantly on our minds.

• Agree 1