cbr929rcr

I am armed!

So I have a hypothetical question. Let's say I am walking down the street with my wife. A man approaches us in a threatening manner. Am I legally ok to inform the potential threat that I am armed. I am NOT pulling my gun out and I am NOT showing my gun......just simply informing that I am armed.

Law says it must be concealed.  First amendment says you can talk about it.  But threatening someone isn't covered (and shouldn't be) by the 1st amendment so tread lightly whenever you talk about it.

But, if the situation has gotten so bad that I need my opponent to know that I'm armed right now, I'm probably not going to give him a verbal warning first - because I don't want him to have a chance to respond before I have a chance to act.

But 99.99% of potential threats never turn into immediate threats.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:32 AM, cbr929rcr said:

So I have a hypothetical question. Let's say I am walking down the street with my wife. A man approaches us in a threatening manner. Am I legally ok to inform the potential threat that I am armed. I am NOT pulling my gun out and I am NOT showing my gun......just simply informing that I am armed.

Hmm...what is the purpose of informing him you're armed?  He's threatening you?  In what manner?  Do you hope to scare him off?

On 1/27/2024 at 7:32 PM, cbr929rcr said:

So you want to give up the element of surprise?

I see zero value in announcing to a (potential) bad guy that you're 'armed'.

It's up to him to fuck around and find out...

• Agree 1

Yea...I guess that is a good point. I just thought that maybe a "warning" before the shit hits the fan would a good idea.....I guess was wrong. I guess this state has my worried about protecting me and my family. I guess this is not a cover your as$ situation.

On 1/27/2024 at 7:32 PM, cbr929rcr said:

Why are you wanting to escalate the confrontation? In public, you have the duty to retreat if you know you can do so safely. The better course of action is to deescalate and remove yourself from the confrontation. If the aggressor pursues you and becomes an immediate threat of death or serious bodily harm, you are within your rights to draw your handgun and point it at them, firing a shot or shots if necessary.

How do you expect to benefit from declaring having a gun? It seems like an alternative to saying "I know Kung-fu!"

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I wouldn't say anything other than something similar to "get away from us" while making as much space as possible between us and him. 

Back away.  Cross the street. Leave the area.

The other person continues to close the distance faster than you can make space? Move garments to get access to your holster and get a grip on the firearm, but don't draw. Continue to back away/make space/make efforts to leave.

At that point you haven't drawn, you haven't brandished, but it should be obvious to the other person you're armed without you having said so.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

I wouldn't say anything other than something similar to "get away from us" while making as much space as possible between us and him. 

Back away.  Cross the street. Leave the area.

The other person continues to close the distance faster than you can make space? Move garments to get access to your holster and get a grip on the firearm, but don't draw. Continue to back away/make space/make efforts to leave.

At that point you haven't drawn, you haven't brandished, but it should be obvious to the other person you're armed without you having said so.

Instead of saying "get away from us", I would use "leave us alone."  It is applicable in more situations, and someone may have a right to be near you, and you are demanding that the leave an area they me legally be allowed.  They do not have a right to bother or harass you and you saying "leave me alone", implies they are doing or are about to do something to you that they should not be, for witnesses in earshot to hear.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ESB said:

Instead of saying "get away from us", I would use "leave us alone."  It is applicable in more situations, and someone may have a right to be near you, and you are demanding that the leave an area they me legally be allowed.  They do not have a right to bother or harass you and you saying "leave me alone", implies they are doing or are about to do something to you that they should not be, for witnesses in earshot to hear.   

Very good point.....the issue is with Jersey nothing is black and white.....WAY to much gray. It sucks that I would even have to think about this just to cover my as$ god forbid

I get it.  One of the things in NJ is that you need to give them an opportunity to stop what they are doing that makes you feel threatened, if doing so would not put you in unreasonable harm.   Leave me alone should cover most situations, IMO.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cbr929rcr said:

Is there "class" or something along that I can attend that goes over some of the gray? I have a feeling that you almost have to be a lawyer to even carry a gun. 

Was this not covered in your use of force class that you took to get/keep your permit?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I would say "Do you feel lucky punk? Go ahead make my day"

No, seriously, in NJ you almost have to get shot at first to shoot someone. Just walk away and if followed, just prepare yourself to draw if needed.

4 hours ago, cbr929rcr said:

Yes...maybe I was just thinking something along the lines of a question and answer kind of thing.

US Texas Law Shield holds seminars around the state from time to time. Attending one of those should get a few of your questions answered.

I see the value in a verbal warning that it may save you the shot. Unlike Hollywood movies many people, including criminals do not want to get shot and are not bat shit crazy.

Also if you have to escalate you know you did everything you could before doing so : )

6 hours ago, ESB said:

Sounds like a wordgame but you do have a point.

31 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I see the value in a verbal warning that it may save you the shot. Unlike Hollywood movies many people, including criminals do not want to get shot and are not bat shit crazy.

Also if you have to escalate you know you did everything you could before doing so : )

There is a point to this. Many years ago when I was in my 20's, my girlfriend and I were leaving a party on the upper west side of Manhattan and some asshole was following us a little too close and for a little too long. I turned around and said you better have a gun cause if you don't Im gonna kick your ass. He turned away. Thank god he didn't have a gun. Young and stupid.

8 minutes ago, FDHog said:

There is a point to this. Many years ago when I was in my 20's, my girlfriend and I were leaving a party on the upper west side of Manhattan and some asshole was following us a little too close and for a little too long. I turned around and said you better have a gun cause if you don't Im gonna kick your ass. He turned away. Thank god he didn't have a gun. Young and stupid.

Reminds me of a line i used when someone would pull a knife on me.  I'd pull gun, not point it at.anyone, hold it in the air and ask, "what do.you think.this is, a pretzel?".

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2