Cheflife15

Beginner reloading set up

I'm looking to get into reloading. I'd like something that can sit on a table (doesn't need to be clipped to the side of a work bench) and I think I want a progressive loading machine.

I'll be reloading mostly 9mm and 5.56. My goal is to make ammo customized for competitions. Is there any reason to not get the dillon rl550c? It looks easy to use and convenient.  Is this overkill for just 9mm and 5.56. I can almost gurantee I won't be getting into new cartridges any time soon.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the machine under $800 (but i also dont mind spending way less) so I have plenty to spend on components.

20 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

My suggestion is to get a single stage too.  This way it's easier to build loads as for progressives I run two lee pro 1000s ones set up for large pistol primers and one for small.

20200414_134823.jpg

Why is the single stage an advantage exactly? Could I not build them on the progressive? 

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm looking to get into reloading. I'd like something that can sit on a table (doesn't need to be clipped to the side of a work bench) and I think I want a progressive loading machine.

I'll be reloading mostly 9mm and 5.56. My goal is to make ammo customized for competitions. Is there any reason to not get the dillon rl550c? It looks easy to use and convenient.  Is this overkill for just 9mm and 5.56. I can almost gurantee I won't be getting into new cartridges any time soon.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the machine under $800 (but i also dont mind spending way less) so I have plenty to spend on components.

The Dillon 550's are amazing machines.  Plenty fast, and while there are faster machines in the Dillon lineup, the trade-off is that the faster ones take longer to change between calibers, and the caliber conversion kits are more expensive.   You can use the 550 as a single stage press, one cartridge in the shell plate at a time, rotating between the stations after each handle pull.  It's a good way to start out and gain experience.

I've got a single stage press as well, used for larger rifle cartridges and the occasional oddball handgun cartridge that I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of a caliber conversion kit for the Dillon...but it sounds like those use cases aren't in your immediate future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The 550 is not a true progressive as it does not auto index, right?

I'm in the process of selling myself on a XL750.

For a starter press, you can't go far wrong with a Lee Classic Turret. It is cheap, auto indexes, and swapping calibers is easy.

NB. If you go for a manually indexed press and work multiple cartridges at once, be particularly careful to monitor the powder drop stage to avoid no powder or double charges. With an auto indexing press the risk is way lower.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Why is the single stage an advantage exactly?

Single stage will have a tighter tolerance, and you have more control over the process.  Progressives are for bulk range fodder.

Every experienced reloader gave me the same advice when I was getting into the hobby, start with single stage, so you can truly understand the reloading process and what you have to do on your end to make great ammo.  Once you have mastered that, then you can think about a progressive.

If you want to add a bit of convenience to your single stage reloading, a turret press (rotates the dies, not the shell plate) is probably better suited.  It is still effectively a single stage operation, but you don't have to keep removing and remounting dies.

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'd like something that can sit on a table (doesn't need to be clipped to the side of a work bench)

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Whatever press you get, it will have to be secured to a work surface in some way.  I bought an inexpensive 20"x20" work surface from HF to permanently mount my shotshell press on.  It is mounted very sturdy and durable with the added 1/2" hardwood plank and extra big washers.

3 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

'm looking to get into reloading

If you haven't already, you should check out some of the reloading channels on YT.  Ultimate Reloader is one of my faves, but there are scores of others with great advice.  See it in action.

• Informative 1

There is no press that you can just sit on a table.  They need to be bolted down securely so there is no flexing.  They do make complete stands that work good too.  I agree with the fact that the Lee Classic turret is a great starter press.  You cant realize the full speed of a progressive when you are first starting off.  You NEED to go SLOW until you learn the ropes.  The Redding T7 Turret press will also last forever and you can do plenty of quality rounds on it.  Be prepared to spend more on other tooling than you do on the press.  It is a never ending hobby and in no way cheap.  I am loading these right now...to the range tomorrow to get velocities..  GFH tomorrow at noon if anyone want to shoot I have guest passes to use..let me know.

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

guarddog.jpg

• Informative 1

I also like using an Endoscope WIFI camera outputting to an old tablet.  One quick glance and there is no doubt about powder being there.  I use the Lee Pro auto disc and have loaded THOUSANDS of rounds and it has never failed to drop a load.  I cant say that for the Auto Drum.  I dont have luck with those at all. The Pro Auto Disc is so accurate with most powders it even amazes me.

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_1163.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

to the range tomorrow to get velocities.

Often overlooked by noob reloaders.  A chronograph is very handy to verify your loads are performing as expected.

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Be prepared to spend more on other tooling than you do on the press

One could easily buy $10,000.00 worth of reloading gear and components, and STILL want more.  I'd love to have one of those high end automated ammo plant presses.  Not to reload because I shoot a lot, but because they remind me of a Rube Goldberg device.  Like the game mouse trap.  It's like the ultimate gadget.

7 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Often overlooked by noob reloaders.  A chronograph is very handy to verify your loads are performing as expected.

One could easily buy $10,000.00 worth of reloading gear and components, and STILL want more.  I'd love to have one of those high end automated ammo plant presses.  Not to reload because I shoot a lot, but because they remind me of a Rube Goldberg device.  Like the game mouse trap.  It's like the ultimate gadget.

I used to have one of the old sky screen chronos,  but they dont work indoors.  So I recently broke down and bought the new Garmin Xero Pro.  It works indoors and doesnt record the guy next port over.  Buy once cry once.  I have Lee Loadmasters with ALL the modifications and they work perfect.  But I dont use them in full progressive mode.  Once all dies are set up,  I manually load a case and bullet.  Add case and bullet...pull handle...one completed round.  Repeat.  I go slow.  I am proud of the effort I put into these rounds.

• Like 2

Lyman Case Cleaning Kit with 1200 Pro Tumbler 

I have the same tumbler, it works great.  It comes with a sort of slotted bowl for media separation, but I recommend a case media separator if you will be polishing a lot of brass.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 9:53 PM, Tunaman said:

There is no press that you can just sit on a table.  They need to be bolted down securely so there is no flexing.  They do make complete stands that work good too.  I agree with the fact that the Lee Classic turret is a great starter press.  You cant realize the full speed of a progressive when you are first starting off.  You NEED to go SLOW until you learn the ropes...

Personally, I use a folding workmate with my RCBS Rockchucker bolted to a piece of 2x8 which is secured to the top of the workmate. Fold it up and stand it up to store it when not in use.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Remember, @Cheflife15 , you're the QUALITY CONTROL guy at your new ammo factory.

Make it right - EVERY time!

Your well-being is behind every round you make and shoot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Anyone use a table like this? 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1012719865?pid=629993&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=%5BADL%5D_%5BPMAX%5D_%5BCategory%5D_Reloading&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_exBhA8EiwA_kU1MoKNR-BoT2VJxp0huuXO7jEpHrnB33XiQTyD5KUeMrZmNhTEYrp9WRoCWBcQAvD_BwE

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Reloading Stand

after looking at the reviews,  this may work for you.  There really isnt to many options for portability.  This one does give you table space also...which you WILL need.

• Like 1

When I was shopping for a small movable  work surface for my press, I looked at the FA folding stand.  I saw that it had excellent reviews, but I just couldn't get past that it looks like an ironing board, and we all know how stable they are.

I'm sure the FA stand will work great, but I'm with njJoniGuy re the Workmate shop bench.  It looks more stable and as an added bonus, you could use it for a bunch of things, instead of just one.  If your space is limited, you may as well have something taking up precious space that is useful for more than just one thing.

• Like 1

My advice would be to buy a Reloading book before purchasing anything! get acquainted with reloading by gaining knowledge and information.

There's a number of good Reloading manuals out there.

The ABC's of reloading is an excellent starter as are Lyman, they make an excellent Reloading manual.

I like the Richard Lee Reloading manual also.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1