silverado427

ATV driver crashes into a police car

3 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Article I read said that the officer blocked that side of road with  his car to protect the pedestrians with the baby that he just passed.

Correct.

The PD and City are behind the officers actions and saying he prevented a tragedy. 

ATV was not even supposed to be in that part of the park.

14 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Article I read said that the officer blocked that side of road with  his car to protect the pedestrians with the baby that he just passed.

Why would he think the ATV rider was going to run over the pedestrians? Were the pedestrians laying in the road? Sounds fishy.

A good lawyer will have a field day with this one.

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Why would he think the ATV rider was going to run over the pedestrians? Were the pedestrians laying in the road? Sounds fishy.

A good lawyer will have a field day with this one.

Seriously? “Sounds Fishy”? You can’t think of a reason why the cop thought that was going to happen after watching the video?

The cops are there after multiple reports/complaints of vehicles in the pedestrian walkway and reports of near misses.

The ATV is on a pedestrian walkway where there are not supposed to be any vehicles and is moving at very fast pace. If he couldn’t stop for the police car, what makes you think he could stop in time for a pedestrian. He dynamited the breaks to avoid hitting the car and lost complete control of the ATV. Luckily the mass of the car prevented it from continuing to tumble down the walkway and take out pedestrians like bowling pins.

If he had hit the brakes like that to avoid hitting a pedestrian instead of the car, would the ATV not have flipped? What would the now out of control ATV have done to any people in the walkway? Would the first person be hit have enough mass to stop the ATV in its proverbial tracks?

I have seen plenty of pedestrians stuck. It is never like the movies. They don’t parkour out of the way of a speeding car - especially when pushing a baby carriage and the vehicle is approaching from the rear in a place where you think you are safe because vehicles are not permitted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Seriously? “Sounds Fishy”? You can’t think of a reason why the cop thought that was going to happen after watching the video?

The cops are there after multiple reports/complaints of vehicles in the pedestrian walkway and reports of near misses.

The ATV is on a pedestrian walkway where there are not supposed to be any vehicles and is moving at very fast pace. If he couldn’t stop for the police car, what makes you think he could stop in time for a pedestrian. He dynamited the breaks to avoid hitting the car and lost complete control of the ATV. Luckily the mass of the car prevented it from continuing to tumble down the walkway and take out pedestrians like bowling pins.

If he had hit the brakes like that to avoid hitting a pedestrian instead of the car, would the ATV not have flipped? What would the now out of control ATV have done to any people in the walkway? Would the first person be hit have enough mass to stop the ATV in its proverbial tracks?

I have seen plenty of pedestrians stuck. It is never like the movies. They don’t parkour out of the way of a speeding car - especially when pushing a baby carriage and the vehicle is approaching from the rear in a place where you think you are safe because vehicles are it permitted.

What's the crime for riding a dirt bike on the street? Most likely a fine, misdemeanor at most. That justifies causing severe bodily injury through use of lethal force by auto? 

There is no way to predict that he would have hit anyone, it's more like a 99.9% he wouldn't have hit anyone. 

And that was a 2 lane road, not a pedestrian walkway.

Hopefully he hires a good lawyer and everyone is held accountable for their actions.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Thanks for this.  It wasn’t clear from the video that it is a pedestrian path.  It looked like a dual use back road.  

What's the crime for riding a dirt bike on the street? Most likely a fine, misdemeanor at most. That justifies causing severe bodily injury through use of lethal force by auto? 

It wasn’t a street.  It is a paved pedestrian path.  There is no expectation by those using it of any vehicles. What would a cop be expected to do if a dirt bike was careening down a busy sidewalk in the city?

Second, the police car had stopped.  Any force in this equation LITERALLY came from the ATV.  

• Like 1

There is no way to predict that he would have hit anyone, it's more like a 99.9% he wouldn't have hit anyone. 

And that was a 2 lane road, not a pedestrian walkway.

Hopefully he hires a good lawyer and everyone is held accountable for their actions.

It's not really a road. It's supposed to just be open to pedestrian traffic.

"Farnum Drive has been open to just pedestrian traffic since 2020. A large number of people, including families with children, were in the area."

Voy beat me to it.

10 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Thanks for this.  It wasn’t clear from the video that it is a pedestrian path.  It looked like a dual use back road.  

It wasn’t a street.  It is a paved pedestrian path.  There is no expectation by those using it of any vehicles. What would a cop be expected to do if a dirt bike was careening down a busy sidewalk in the city?

Second, the police car had stopped.  Any force in this equation LITERALLY came from the ATV.  

It's physically a 2 lane road where there was plenty of room to avoid the pedestrians. Including the "parent and child" that were literally on the roads edge. The camera is a fisheye, and the ATV was much closer than it looked coming around the curve and there was no time to stop. The cop caused the crash and injury while further endangering pedestrians. This could have been handled differently, without injury. E.g. He could have set up further back and turned his lights and sirens on and gave the ATV time to stop.

Again, illegally riding an ATV is a fineable offense, that's it. Does not justify lethal force by auto. 

I hope he sues and wins. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

It's physically a 2 lane road where there was plenty of room to avoid the pedestrians. Including the "parent and child" that were literally on the roads edge

You’re right.  It’s totally the pedestrians fault for being pedestrians on a pedestrian-only road.  They definitely should have moved to the gravel so that the illegally-driven ATV could safely illegally drive.   

43 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

The camera is a fisheye, and the ATV was much closer than it looked coming around the curve and there was no time to stop

The reason there was no time to stop is because of the speed of the illegally driven ATV.  

45 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

The cop caused the crash and injury while further endangering pedestrians.

The legally walking pedestrians were in less danger with the mass of the car in between them and the illegally driven ATV.  

46 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

E.g. He could have set up further back and turned his lights and sirens on and gave the ATV time to stop.

Sure, he could have set up further back but then the pedestrians would not have been behind him.  Hard to protect pedestrians from the ATV when they’re both in front of you.    And how do you know his emergency lights were off?

• Agree 1

It's physically a 2 lane road where.......  The selfish dickhead ATV operator did not belong, and endangered the health and safety of the pedestrians on the PEDESTRIAN only road.

I dunno what part of this you are not understanding.  The ATV guy fucked up, all full of himself, making his own laws, riding with a fuck you attitude.

In a sense, Mr. ATV fucked around and found out.

It really is THAT simple.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

I dunno what part of this you are not understanding.  The ATV guy fucked up, all full of himself, making his own laws, riding with a fuck you attitude.

In a sense, Mr. ATV fucked around and found out.

It really is THAT simple.

How many of the other 50 pedestrians he passed did he kill or try to kill? 0. How many people did the cop intentionally attempt to kill? 1.

10 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Ahhh... I understand now.  You hate cops and like dickhead law breakers.   Nuff said.  Done with you, NNTR.

The ATV guy was completely wrong. But what was the crime? A felony? Violent felony? Misdemeanor? Or a fineable offense? How many times have you been pulled over for speeding? Should a cop have tried to kill you by putting you into a ditch at 75mph? After all, you are jeopardizing everyones safety around you, no?

Stop being such badge lickers....

3 hours ago, voyager9 said:

The legally walking pedestrians were in less danger with the mass of the car in between them and the illegally driven ATV.  

Since we all love hypotheticals, what if the ATV flips over the cop car, barrel rolls down the road (because of the high rate of speed and pure momentum at that speed) and kills the all the babies at the roads edge? Who's fault is that?

Chances are, if the ATV's path of travel wasn't interrupted, he would have just driven right by everyone, and no one would have gotten hurt. The cop could have pursued, with lights and sirens blasting, pulled him over, impounded the ATV, and gave the perp a summons. But instead, someone factually, almost died because of the cop.

8 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Since we all love hypotheticals, what if the ATV flips over the cop car, barrel rolls down the road (because of the high rate of speed and pure momentum at that speed) and kills the all the babies at the roads edge? Whose fault is that?

The ATV driver.  If the ATV is going fast enough that post-collision it had enough momentum to roll 100 yards down the road like the Indiana Jones boulder then that is excessive speed and reckless driving (in addition to driving on a road closed to vehicles).  

11 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Chances are, if the ATV's path of travel wasn't interrupted, he would have just driven right by everyone, and no one would have gotten hurt.

Sure.  The chances are somewhere between 0 and 100%.  The cop weighed risk/benefit and chose to block the road.  A safe play since it is clear that the ATV driver didn’t have control and was going too fast to stop in time.  

The way you’re blaming to cop makes me think you are the ATV driver.   

LMFAOAY

If being on the side of law and order makes one a "badge licker", I guess that makes you an asshole licker, cuz ATV guy is an asshole.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

The ATV guy was completely wrong. But what was the crime? A felony? Violent felony? Misdemeanor? Or a fineable offense? How many times have you been pulled over for speeding? Should a cop have tried to kill you by putting you into a ditch at 75mph? After all, you are jeopardizing everyones safety around you, no?

For the sake of argument, if this was a car speeding down the street with the same speed, would you expect a cop to not intervene? Would it still just be a fine? 

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

For the sake of argument, if this was a car speeding down the street with the same speed, would you expect a cop to not intervene? Would it still just be a fine? 

Ok, the top speed of the Yamaha Banshee 350 2-stoke was the fastest ever ATV manufactured. It was 68 mph. This was not a Banshee. It was a run of the mill ATV with a top speed average of 40 mph. On payment, the cop car could easily keep up and pull over the ATV. 40mph in a car is unassuming . Attempted murder was not necessary.  

But again, should murder by cop be justified because you were speeding?  

You guys don't realize it, but you are CINO's. Which is conservative's in name only. You buy a gun and think you are conservatives or constitutional conservatives, but in reality you are indoctrinated liberals that are all for big government, big brother, and support all of it. 

56 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

The way you’re blaming to cop makes me think you are the ATV driver.   

Nope. I was 2 wheel kind of guy. I always had complete control of my dirt bike, and never injured anyone, let alone tried to murder anyone

Just now, diamondd817 said:

Ok, the top speed of the Yamaha Banshee 350 2-stoke was the fastest ever ATV manufactured. It was 68 mph. This was not a Banshee. It was a run of the mill ATV with a top speed average of 40 mph. On payment, the cop car could easily keep up and pull over the ATV. 40mph in a car is unassuming . Attempted murder was not necessary.  

But again, should murder by cop be justified because you were speeding?  

You guys don't realize it, but you are CINO's. Which is conservative's in name only. You buy a gun and think you are conservatives or constitutional conservatives, but in reality you are indoctrinated liberals that are all for big government, big brother, and support all of it. 

You know nothing about me lol. I frequently watch auditors and call out bad policing when I see it. Im not even agreeing what the cop did was the perfect decision. The point I'm making is that an atv at that speed hitting a person on a path would kill someone.

Freedom doesn't include breaking the law and endangering the life of people walking by. He's free to do that dumb sht where he can legally do so. If the atv driver is going so fast he can't avoid a cop car, then he certainly can't stop before hitting a person.

I gurantee if your son or daughter was hit by some moron on an atv and paralyzed for the rest of his life, you wouldn't be complaining about "big brother." 

1 minute ago, diamondd817 said:

Nope. I was 2 wheel kind of guy. I always had complete control of my dirt bike, and never injured anyone, let alone tried to murder anyone

So you acted like a responsible adult. Why would you write this guy a free pass? Not terribly logical.