Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

For the veterans!!!!!

One of the best things to hit the net in a long while, but yet not a word is spoken. Seems like veterans understand it. The people I showed that weren't in the military didn't get it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2487638612433437293&q=Vetera

Don't think I've ever posted this on here. This past May I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii and also visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial. If you havn't gone, I suggest you put it on the to-do list before its your time because it's an experience you will never ever forget.

Here's a picture that I took while on the Arizona Memorial. Don't mind my crappy photo skills, the picture does say it all though.

DSC_0253_1024.jpg

I never critique other's work. It's a nice image, and the lens flare could be reduced or eliminated, but I don't mind it at all. I think it adds to the overall impact.

Ah, squids, haha. I have to admit that I have participated in painting the anchor black and gold during the Army-Navy game where I was stationed (it was a JSHQ). But I'd also have to admit that I'd take a first class over an SFC any day. Regardless, I have the utmost respect for all the branches, as we all fulfill critical components to make the mean machine drive on. Hooah!

And yes, Pearl Harbor is quite mesmerizing. I visited a long time ago, before my service days. I honestly don't think I would go back there, same reason why I won't go to Arlington-- I just don't think I would be able to hold it together.

It's ok if you don't hold it together BBK. Myself and a lot of others weren't. After watching the video they show, if you don't atleast get a tear in your eye, something just isn't right.

Right now they are currently building a all new welcoming center. Its costing something like 300 million dollars. I was extremely upset when I went because for all of you that have been there, inside the welcoming center they have that amazing fountain setup with all the plants. Well apparently the welcoming center is sinking, so it must of cracked and leaked, they had all the water drained out of the fountain and all the plants were dead. But besides that it was an amazing experience.

One of the best things to hit the net in a long while, but yet not a word is spoken. Seems like veterans understand it. The people I showed that weren't in the military didn't get it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2487638612433437293&q=Vetera

To my regret, I was never in the military and that rang loud and clear. What is there not to get? Wonderful video.

Great Video. Anyone who "didn't get it" is missing out.

Matt, as a photographer, its flaws that make a picture unique. Millions have probably taken the same picture, but the lens flare actually leads the eye right to the flag, as does the framing. Nothing crappy about it.

My favorite part about that whole picture is the sun. If i may and I hope I don't stretch it to far or step on anyones toes or anything but this is the way I feel about that picture.

The sun to me, with the way that its just glaringly bright is like an Aura of sorts to me. No put an Aura into that picture and the context of where it was taken and I feel as if that Aura is all of the fallen soldiers who are out looking over us to keep us safe.

Btw, this is old news, but the VA released a memo in late 2008 (I don't feel like digging it up, sorry) that allows vets to now officially salute the flag when not in uniform. I know this probably sounds like a no-brainer, but it is what it is. So, if you're a vet and at a ball game or whatnot, you can now salute during the anthem instead of putting the hand/hat over the heart.

Btw, this is old news, but the VA released a memo in late 2008 (I don't feel like digging it up, sorry) that allows vets to now officially salute the flag when not in uniform. I know this probably sounds like a no-brainer, but it is what it is. So, if you're a vet and at a ball game or whatnot, you can now salute during the anthem instead of putting the hand/hat over the heart.

It is a wonderful thing isn`t it....

It was part of the National Defense Authorization Act 2008 signed into law by the President on January 28, 2008 the change to allow active duty and veteran military to salute rather than hold hand over heart has been authorized.

There seems to be some confusion on if this went through or not so I am putting this up as official notice.

SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.

Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking `all persons present' and all that follows through the end of the section and inserting the following: `all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.'.

New Law Authorizes Veterans