rauchman

Action shooting ranges?

Greetings,

My wife and I just joined Cherry Ridge this past Sunday, and while the range is great, I was dismayed to learn that their competitions don't include and kind of "Action Shooting". I was hoping to try my hand at IDPA or 3 gun competitions. Are there are local ranges that offer this?

I feel the same way. CR is a great facility, but the lack of some sort of action/defensive shooting activity is a real disappointment. The range at Shongum Sportsmen's Association does an action shooting (IDPA?) event each month that's open to non-members, but it would be nice to have a place to just practice that type of shooting outside of a competition setting.

ETA: nice to see another NJGF member joining CR. See ya there.

Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club seems to do IDPA, IPSC, and 3gun matches pretty regularly, and they just started a new rimfire match recently http://www.obrpc.org/

ETA: OB isn't exactly "local" though - prob about an hour from teaneck

All of the Matches are open to the public too, you don't have to be a member. Cost is $20 for the public as opposed to $5 for club members.

Indoor IPSC/USPSA is every 1st and 3rd friday night of the month.

Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club seems to do IDPA, IPSC, and 3gun matches pretty regularly, and they just started a new rimfire match recently http://www.obrpc.org/

Thanks for the info. When my grandparents were alive, they lived in the Glenwood apartments in OB between Rte 9 and Rte 516. Can you tell me where the range is in relation to this area?

Thanks for the info. When my grandparents were alive, they lived in the Glenwood apartments in OB between Rte 9 and Rte 516. Can you tell me where the range is in relation to this area?

The outdoor range is 2 minutes further down 516, on the very end of "the other" jake brown road. (By Double D's Catering)

The indoor range is on Maple Street, off Rt 18 behind the wawa.

I'm actually pretty new to NJ, and I live up north in Bloomfield. So, I'm not very familiar with that area and can't really say how close it is to anything. I'm also not a member.. was just passing along the info. I will be there in November for a Carbine class, but it'll be my first trip there. That said, I looked it up on google, and hopefully this image can help a bit

[attachment=0]obrpc1.jpg[/attachment]

Based on what you said about Rt9 and 516 and looking at this map, it sounds like it would be pretty close to what you're describing.. maybe 5-10 minutes away.

One of the guys that puts together some of the matches is a member here, altho he doesn't post much. I believe he uses the name OBRAMS. Might be worth sending him a PM if you have specific questions.

ETA: Looks like coldsolderjoint knows the area :)

The outdoor range is 2 minutes further down 516, on the very end of "the other" jake brown road. (By Double D's Catering)

The indoor range is on Maple Street, off Rt 18 behind the wawa.

Excellent and thanks!!!

I'm actually pretty new to NJ, and I live up north in Bloomfield. So, I'm not very familiar with that area and can't really say how close it is to anything. I'm also not a member.. was just passing along the info. I will be there in November for a Carbine class, but it'll be my first trip there. That said, I looked it up on google, and hopefully this image can help a bit

[attachment=0]obrpc1.jpg[/attachment]

Based on what you said about Rt9 and 516 and looking at this map, it sounds like it would be pretty close to what you're describing.. maybe 5-10 minutes away.

One of the guys that puts together some of the matches is a member here, altho he doesn't post much. I believe he uses the name OBRAMS. Might be worth sending him a PM if you have specific questions.

ETA: Looks like coldsolderjoint knows the area :)

..... and thank you too. Having the map helps.

I feel the same way. CR is a great facility, but the lack of some sort of action/defensive shooting activity is a real disappointment. The range at Shongum Sportsmen's Association does an action shooting (IDPA?) event each month that's open to non-members, but it would be nice to have a place to just practice that type of shooting outside of a competition setting.

ETA: nice to see another NJGF member joining CR. See ya there.

:) Ken you need to go talk to the powers that be and let your big mouth be heard. If enough people ask for it, they may grant it. There was a time they didn't have the sillouette range, and now they do.

It's not an OVERLY expensive range to put together but it does take some time and some thought and tons of safety which is probably one of the reasons CR doesn't have it. But if you can outline why it would make CR a better place to join and give them reasons to back it up and examples of how it can be safe you just might luck out.

I know BA just opened one. Can any of the guys that use their course tell us how it works. Is there a dedicated RO there. Do you have to take a hands on safety course before you are allowed to use it etc etc.

M

Re: Action shooting ranges?

"Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club seems to do IDPA, IPSC, and 3gun matches pretty regularly, and they just started a new rimfire match recently http://www.obrpc.org/

ETA: OB isn't exactly "local" though - prob about an hour from teaneck"

http://www.obdogs.com/

http://www.obcats.com/

Tutorial IPSC Class on the First and Third Friday night of each month

Schedule:

Sept:

http://www.obrpc.org/calendar/Calendar_ ... l_2009.pdf

Oct:

http://www.obrpc.org/calendar/Calendar_ ... 09_Cal.pdf

Nov:

http://www.obrpc.org/calendar/Calendar_ ... l_2009.pdf

I am surprised nobody mentioned Shore Shot's Monday Night Fun Shoot? The do tactical set ups on Monday nights. Bring a holster and 4 mags, it is a lot of fun and a different scenario every week. Sometimes they do bowling pins (harder than it sounds), pole shoots or just hidden targets and Andy and the guys there are very helpful. I was going pretty regularly with my son until he switched jobs.

You should come by and watch. Shongum is just as far from you as Cherry Ridge

http://www.shongum.org/activities/ipsc.html

I am thinking Parkway North to 24 West to 287 North to 80 West.

IDPA at Somerset: http://somersetidpa.com/

Both places are good with new shooters.

is this close to where you can merge on to RT 18 from Rt9, it looks like it... How much are the members fee's to this range? always been interested in getting a membership to an outdoor range, wouldn't mind traveling a little out of the way either. Can you shoot anything or just rifles and pistols? can you shoot clays there?

Also since it is outdoors is it open to members any day of the week?

is this close to where you can merge on to RT 18 from Rt9, it looks like it... How much are the members fee's to this range? always been interested in getting a membership to an outdoor range, wouldn't mind traveling a little out of the way either. Can you shoot anything or just rifles and pistols? can you shoot clays there?

Also since it is outdoors is it open to members any day of the week?

Yes, it's pretty close to the merge.

Indoor Range is 25 yards, pistols (no magnums) and .22 Rifles only. Open 24/7 except when scheduled matches are held (not too bad at all, lots of time available).

Outdoor range- Anything you can legally own, you can shoot there. 100 yard and 50 yard rifle ranges, 5 or 6ish pistol pits, and a shotgun range, 7 days a week, 9am to half hour before sundown (except when scheduled matches There's almost always at least one range open)

First Year is $300 initiation plus $360 Dues.. (I think those numbers are correct).. payable in two installments, plus 12 work hours per year. (It sounds like a lot, but it's not too bad at all, and a pretty good value).

I heard CJ has comparable or better facilities, but it's too far for me to drive.

I have been a member at both and CJ is much better than OB. Plus dues are $200 and no work hours. How much are dues for hours not worked at OB?

I think it's $15/hr

Is there ever a wait at CJ? I've gone to the indoor range at all different times and at most, there was one other party there. On the outdoor range, the only time I had to move/accommodate others is when we wanted to use the whole 100 yard (start at 25, and then work back).. but that was inconsiderate if others were there, so we moved.. but other than that.. never had to wait to shoot and pretty much always have our "own" range.

KenW, I asked about action shooting when I was there on Sunday and everyone said it would be a good idea but they don't do it. How do we go about discussing this with ownership? I would definitely sign up if they had action shooting as I want to get involved with that as do others here.

KenW, I asked about action shooting when I was there on Sunday and everyone said it would be a good idea but they don't do it. How do we go about discussing this with ownership? I would definitely sign up if they had action shooting as I want to get involved with that as do others here.

I don't really know who the contact person would be. I guess it would be the Match Director or Event Manager (if they have such a position).

My thinking is that if they haven't done it yet, they probably aren't too excited about the idea. I'm pretty sure the idea has come up before. AFAIK, the only thing they do there that's not "from the line" is the 2x4 event they do each month.

Maybe it's an insurance issue, maybe they don't want the attention, maybe they just don't like that type of event. I don't know.

coldsolderjoint there is only been one time I went to CJ and had a wait at the indoor range and it was a short wait. So dues are $360+$15 for hours not worked? Which means dues could max at $540? I guess it makes sense they have a fraction of the membership of CJ.

coldsolderjoint there is only been one time I went to CJ and had a wait at the indoor range and it was a short wait. So dues are $360+$15 for hours not worked? Which means dues could max at $540? I guess it makes sense they have a fraction of the membership of CJ.

Ehh.. what can I do.. for me, the increased cost is worth it in distance. 15 minutes vs over an hour to go shoot. I go at least once a week..

I don't really know who the contact person would be. I guess it would be the Match Director or Event Manager (if they have such a position).

My thinking is that if they haven't done it yet, they probably aren't too excited about the idea. I'm pretty sure the idea has come up before. AFAIK, the only thing they do there that's not "from the line" is the 2x4 event they do each month.

Maybe it's an insurance issue, maybe they don't want the attention, maybe they just don't like that type of event. I don't know.

I was told they did not want people drawing from a holster. That is not a problem. The stage can start with the shooter in a safe position, pistol ready but pointed low or the pistol can be on a table. Therefore, I don't see why Cherry Ridge won't host a USPSA match. Maybe some one (kenw?) has to put it together.

I was told they did not want people drawing from a holster. That is not a problem. The stage can start with the shooter in a safe position, pistol ready but pointed low or the pistol can be on a table. Therefore, I don't see why Cherry Ridge won't host a USPSA match. Maybe some one (kenw?) has to put it together.

The only person with a loaded gun in his holster is the person actually on the line.. and he is closely watched by the RO. Seems like a paranoia to me.. but that's my two sense :-P

The only person with a loaded gun in his holster is the person actually on the line.. and he is closely watched by the RO. Seems like a paranoia to me.. but that's my two sense :-P

1) it's two cents

2) even the RO's don't carry at CR - it's the epitome of a cold range.

1) it's two cents

2) even the RO's don't carry at CR - it's the epitome of a cold range.

I thought a cold range are ranges that don't sell ammo. The only person with a loaded firearm in a holster would be the person shooting. I think it's lazyness. They are making money and don't want to mess it up, but if you put together action shooting then you would bring in a lot more. Come on KenW, you seem to be the go to guy here on this issue.

"I thought a cold range are ranges that don't sell ammo. The only person with a loaded firearm in a holster would be the person shooting. I think it's lazyness. They are making money and don't want to mess it up, but if you put together action shooting then you would bring in a lot more. Come on KenW, you seem to be the go to guy here on this issue. "

From what I have been told, CR's insurance policy prohibits the drawing from a holster except for the police matches.