Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

1911 magazines...

A 1911 is a 1911. Unless it is one of the rarer hi-cap staggered column models they all interchange. The seven and eight rounders are identical except for the follower.

however the standard Springfield (and probably Kimber and others ) are crap. I'd go with a better quality Chip McCormack or Wilson. Once I switched magazines to the CM, most of the problems disappeared. A 1911 can be a finicky firearm at times. cost for the CM aren't much more than the standard stock models. Brownell's, Midway and others sell them at a decent price.

I hate to be the differentiating opinion here, but my Chip McCormick mags kind of suck.

My Wilsons are rock solid, and I've never had a problem with the Mec-gar mag either.

Don't get suckered into buying those 3 for $10 gun show mags that come in the brown paper.. they wont feed at all.. only buy those if you already have the rebuild kits.

out of the 3 mags I got for my kimber, I love the Power Mag by Mccormick Corp... it's easy to load, slides out with ease, I think you can get a ... whatever you call it for the bottom of the mag so it's faster to slide out, but it slides out on it's own so you really dont need that.

I like Wilson Mags.

The Ed Brown 8 packs are top notch as well.

I love extended followers like Tripp offers in certain mags and rebuild kits.

Wolff Springs are a great addition to any mag - In my experience, they last the longest before reliability issues related to a weak mag spring start popping up.

RayRay - Isn't it great when you try a bunch of different mags in your 1911 and have no issues. I'd hang on to that PARA if I were you! Sounds like a good one.

Wilson 47D. I have tried Chip Mccormick mags with no problems. I just feel the Wilson are more polished. Most of the problems with a bottom feeder are mag related because folks like to buy the cheapest aftermarket mag they can. Kinda like 87 octane in a Viper.

I have always used Colt or GI magazines with no problems. The 8 rd mags that came with my PT1911 also work well.

I do have some crappy aftermarket mags made only God knows where. They work most of the time and I still use them for practice as the malfunctions they induce are good training. Floor plates are painted red so I don't mistake them for service magazines.

I bought 2 of the CM 10rd Power Mags and they have worked flawlessly.

How bad do they stick out? Do they look decent or weird?

It doesn't look that bad. At first I thought it looked a little funny, but after they both worked without problems, I didn't care what they looked like. They might not be perfect for CC, but since we can't do that in this state anyway, they are GREAT for range use.