Tom sounds like IDPA is what you are looking for. You draw from a holster and shoot as many targets as they set up. Most of the time you have to double tap the targets as well.

It is going to be at the somerset wildlife prective blah blah blah. Indoor and last time I went it was alot of fun. I will either be wearing a GFH shirt or my NJGF shirt.

Tom sounds like IDPA is what you are looking for. You draw from a holster and shoot as many targets as they set up. Most of the time you have to double tap the targets as well.

It is something I am very interested in, I should have been more specific I was referring to a place where I can practice moving and shooting multiple targets before I enter a Match. CR does not allow holsters and although I never set up multiple target stands I don't think the RO's would apprecaite it, this is why I questioned is there a place where I can practice this.

Is there a range that will allow you to draw from a holster and engage more than 1 target at a time ?

My friend and I practice at Shongum. We set up our own stages with multiple targets and draw from holsters, and shoot the stage at competition speed. The safety officer knows us and we have no problems.

I was thinking of putting on an introduction class. It would give you a feel for shooting IDPA and USPSA. You could learn the rules of the games without the pressure and distraction of a match. Is anyone interested?

Is there a range that will allow you to draw from a holster and engage more than 1 target at a time ?

My friend and I practice at Shongum. We set up our own stages with multiple targets and draw from holsters, and shoot the stage at competition speed. The safety officer knows us and we have no problems.

I was thinking of putting on an introduction class. It would give you a feel for shooting IDPA and USPSA. You could learn the rules of the games without the pressure and distraction of a match. Is anyone interested?

Yes......yes......yes.....

......and did I say yes...?

:D

That sounds like a great idea. I am not sure how other evens are but ours are very instructional and laid back. They tell you as a new shooter work on accuracy not speed. You get gigged for your mistakes, better to shoot clean and slow then fast and sloppy.

My first concern is safety. New competitors should forget about the clock. Shoot the stage slooooow. Try to get all "A"s or "None Done". I have seen too many newbies get disqualified at their first match. It's a bad way to start.

Great idea, Col.. Please add me to the list.

Col. If you want to run it I would be happy to assist you.

Are you a member of Shongum? At this point, I am thinking of a three person class. I am fairly sure Shongun will allow me to have an informal session where I cover the safety, rules and strategies involved in USPSA and IDPA. The three students would be my guests. I will start the process for a formal class with the folks at Shongum.

NJChiroDoc:

Thank you for the offer. If I remember correctly, you are a member at Bridgewater. If you want to have the formal or inform class there, I will assist you. The only downside at Shongum is we cannot draw from a holster at the indoor range. The outdoor range allows drawing from a holster. Since it is getting cold fast, we may have to use the indoor range.

What do you think?

BW has a very stringent policy on visitors. You can bring them but it is one per person and they do not wan to see them there on multi occations. There thought is if they are coming that often they should be come members. The only time you can draw from a holster is durring competion or the wed night sanctioned practice.

I have emailed the event person at Shongum for an intro class but I am still waiting for an answer. Once I have the process moving, I can set a date. The following NJGF members are on the list:

NJ-Tom

67gtnut

Kenw

Caine

I may have a two person mini-class as a dry run. I can only have two guests so I am limited to two students. If so, I will PM the people currently on the list for their availability.

NJChiroDoc:

I could really use your assistance for the full fledged class for the IDPA part as I have limited experience with it.

Np you got me. Where is the range you want to hold the class.

It would be at Shongum. I have the forms and I will go to the monthly meeting on Wed. 10/21 to start the process. It seems we have a lot of interest so filling the class does not seem to be a problem. I want to co-ordinate the class so that it is the Saturday before the USPSA match at Shongum which means it would be the last Saturday of the month. The IDPA matches are typically two weeks after the Shongum matches so that works out fairly well. I cannot set a date yet. I have two forms from Shongum and one says they require 30 days notice and the other 90 days. Hopefully, I will have a better idea after the monthly meeting. The class will be held in the clubhouse and at the indoor range so weather will not be a factor unless we have a snow storm.

To all: Once I have a date set, I will make a general announcement . All those who expressed interest will be given the chance to sign up first.