Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Obamacare may ban guns

With the gubbermint moving to make gun violence a public health issue rather than a national law enforcement issue, we have this little gem:

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/10/09/obamacare-could-be-used-to-ban-guns/

It just keeps getting better and better.

Yep, I can't really see this happening.

Maybe, maybe not. How about a $2,000 federal tax on all gun purchases and a 500% federal tax on all ammo purchases, with the proceeds going to help fund Obamacare? That goes along with the current tax on alcohol and tobacco products and the proposed taxes on "unhealthy" food and drink. Since guns will be considered a public health issue, how is it any different from drinking, smoking or obesity?

Just sayin'.

Maybe, maybe not. How about a $2,000 federal tax on all gun purchases and a 500% federal tax on all ammo purchases, with the proceeds going to help fund Obamacare? That goes along with the current tax on alcohol and tobacco products and the proposed taxes on "unhealthy" food and drink. Since guns will be considered a public health issue, how is it any different from drinking, smoking or obesity?

Just sayin'.

They are not allowed to levy those kinds of taxes on anything.

It has been tried before ( can not remember the exact instance to quote), but their is some federal regulation that prevents an absurd tax like 500% on anything.

Just sayin'.

It has been tried before ( can not remember the exact instance to quote), but their is some federal regulation that prevents an absurd tax like 500% on anything.

Yeah, now. If it's a law, it can be changed. If it's a Constitutional mandate, it can be ignored with the rest of the document.

What about the confiscatory tax on corporate bonuses that came within a hairsbreadth of passing? Ya think this would be any different? I suspect the dialog has been ongoing behind the big doors.

You wont get both the congress and senate to pass a law with absurd taxes on ammo or guns.

Too much lobbyist money to throw around to prevent it anyway even if it comes up for debate (which it hasn't and I will bet anyone on this board that it won't- as in going to the house or senate for a vote).

ASIDE from the fact what you are referring to was taxing bonuses on execs of companies who received federal bailouts with your and my money.

OUR tax revenue went to pay bonuses of companies that had to be bailed out.

QUITE different (and they should never been allowed to receive bonuses with taxpayer money PERIOD)!

What Ken and many others (myself included) have been exhibiting can be explained: We don't trust the government and we don't believe that it is here to help anyone but itself.

Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of free men quicker than the phrase "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

What Ken and many others (myself included) have been exhibiting can be explained: We don't trust the government and we don't believe that it is here to help anyone but itself.

Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of free men quicker than the phrase "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

Look I agree and think they are all a bunch of self serving a$$holes, but worrying about 2000 tax on guns and 500% tax on ammo when no one is talking about it but us is silly.

Look I agree and think they are all a bunch of self serving a$$holes, but worrying about 2000 tax on guns and 500% tax on ammo when no one is talking about it but us is silly.

I suppose I shouldn't be worrying about ammo registration that we see happening in Kah-lee-for-knee-ah.

I suppose that the rest of the population should not have run out and got guns and crap loads of ammo because of Obamafear either.

You wont get both the congress and senate to pass a law with absurd taxes on ammo or guns.

Too much lobbyist money to throw around to prevent it anyway even if it comes up for debate (which it hasn't and I will bet anyone on this board that it won't- as in going to the house or senate for a vote).

ASIDE from the fact what you are referring to was taxing bonuses on execs of companies who received federal bailouts with your and my money.

OUR tax revenue went to pay bonuses of companies that had to be bailed out.

QUITE different (and they should never been allowed to receive bonuses with taxpayer money PERIOD)!

It doesn't matter if the bonuses were right or wrong. That isn't the issue. Look past that for just a second. The federal government took steps to levy a 100% tax on a select group of people, for a specific amount of money, related to a unique set of circumstances. If they can get away with doing it to them, what makes you think they can't get away with doing it to you?

BTW, did the words "They are not allowed" come out of your mouth? Are they allowed to own stock and have voting rights in private corporations?

Just sayin'.

When the National Firearms Act was passed in 1934 it levied taxes in excess of 2000% on items such as Short Barrels Shotguns and Suppressors. This Supreme Court (in an amazingly bad decision) held it to be constitutional, and it is still in effect today. Due to inflation the tax ($200) is generally under 100% now.

I would not put anything past any Politician, especially our Campaigner in Chief. if Govt HealthCare ever passes, they WILL find a way to charge you more or make you get rid of things that are considered dangerous. And then when we are all fat and lazy because everything was cinsidered dangerous, they will charge an obesity tax to cover the extra cost od heart disease or whatever else you get sitting around being lazy.

There is no end to how these buttnuggets will think of ways to seperate you from your money and a means of resisting their attempts.