Sign in to follow this  
ronoverdrive

Remington issues anyone?

Just curious if people are having problems with Remington ammo lately. My uncle has been shooting Remington 40grain hollow point 22lr in his Ruger MkII and has been having FTF's quite often. My friend Tony just purchased some 9mm Remington ammo and its all failing to cycle in his S&W Model 59. Having fired both guns with said ammo personally I noticed the slide/bolt isn't pulling back far enough on either gun to properly cycle. So has Remington's quality control gone down, changed their recipe to borderline standard to reduce costs, or both?

I refuse to buy their golden colored rimfire rounds after having so many FTF's with them over the years in my cousins Ruger.

Sadly I seem to be having the same issues with the new Winchester I'm trying out. Federal 525 Bulk Packs work best but I can't get my hands on them anywhere around here!

Now, for centerfire stuff I shoot UMC, and Golden Saber all the time without any issues at all. (ok not the GS it's expensive, but enough to know it works as my defense rounds!)

those Ruger Mark series 22's have had problems with all types of ammo, including mine.

Yeah but I have a Buckmark and it had the same problems when he'd let me use the ammo. The Winchester cycles fine but just had a lot of FTF's. Federal was by far the most reliable.

The Remington Golden Bullets would not cycle properly quite often, as if they were short loaded on powder.

as if they were short loaded on powder.

That's what I've been noticing.

Save some FTF's if you have them and send a letter.

I currently have some issues with the box of Winchester 555's where the FTF's are averaging 10%. I'm going to save a bunch from the range next Sunday and ship them back, they want to take a look at them. I'm sure they will make it right as they seem to have good customer service. Remington probably does as well.

those Ruger Mark series 22's have had problems with all types of ammo, including mine.

my Ruger Mark II will eat anything. FTF is an ammo problem.

My MKIII is fussy with Winchester Hollow Points.... doesnt like to feed, the flat nose catches the ramp and stops..... :?

as if they were short loaded on powder.

That's what I've been noticing.

Save some FTF's if you have them and send a letter.

I currently have some issues with the box of Winchester 555's where the FTF's are averaging 10%. I'm going to save a bunch from the range next Sunday and ship them back, they want to take a look at them. I'm sure they will make it right as they seem to have good customer service. Remington probably does as well.

I probably should have done that with my CCI Minimags... was averaging 1 FTF every 50 rounds. Right now with the Federal Champions I have I've gone through 300 rounds without a single hick up and the gun was cleaner compared to the same amount of Minimags fired.

I probably should have done that with my CCI Minimags... was averaging 1 FTF every 50 rounds. Right now with the Federal Champions I have I've gone through 300 rounds without a single hick up and the gun was cleaner compared to the same amount of Minimags fired.

IMO Minimags are not cheap bulk ammo and shouldn't have any FTF's at all. I'd send the FTF's back to them for review.

I expect some in the bulk boxes but you get what you pay for. Although like I said 10% is worthy of me writing a letter. :)

.22 thunderbolts + golden bullets are probably the the worst in the industry right now - very poor quality control - check out the ammo section on rimfirecentral.com - i think they were more consistant when they sold for $8.00 a brick -

Just curious if people are having problems with Remington ammo lately. My uncle has been shooting Remington 40grain hollow point 22lr in his Ruger MkII and has been having FTF's quite often. My friend Tony just purchased some 9mm Remington ammo and its all failing to cycle in his S&W Model 59. Having fired both guns with said ammo personally I noticed the slide/bolt isn't pulling back far enough on either gun to properly cycle. So has Remington's quality control gone down, changed their recipe to borderline standard to reduce costs, or both?

It's not the ammo (unless it was a bad lot - but I doubt that). It's the guns or the shooter or dare I say it.....lack of cleaning ability has allowed gunk to build up and not cycle properly. ;)

Seriuosly though......I have never had any issues with UMC in any of my guns, EVER - it's my favorite cheap stuff to shoot.

((((it's not the ammo (unless it was a bad lot - but I doubt that). It's the guns or the shooter or dare I say it.....lack of cleaning ability has allowed gunk to build up and not cycle properly. )))) -

it is definitely the .22 remington ammo - i have shot it in over 30 different rifles + handguns - average of 5 ftf's per 50 rds. - inconsistant velocities from round to round from same box - also the most dirty .22's i have ever used -

UMC 9mm, 45acp, and 38 special = no issues from me - Thousands of rounds for years - all fed and fired.

22 thunderbolts - my ruger 10/22 works fine with them (dirty as hell and accuracy is sub par though), and my bolt action 22 has no issues with them but it's a bolt with a mauser claw type extractor.

I prefer the federal bulk packs of 525 in the 22lr platform.

UMC for all my bigger stuff.

Federal copper plated hollow points make me smile in 22 though.