AntZ

FiOS vs Cable

I am using cable moden (optimum) to access internet and now have a choice to switch to FiOS. I have exprienced FiOS internet connection at a friend's house and the speed was disappointing compare to cable. At least it is not worth the trouble to switch if there is no Sportsman channel offered by FiOS TV. Is Sporsman channel going to teach me anything or it will just show off fancy stuff I will never buy?

I am using cable moden (optimum) to access internet and now have a choice to switch to FiOS. I have exprienced FiOS internet connection at a friend's house and the speed was disappointing compare to cable. At least it is not worth the trouble to switch if there is no Sportsman channel offered by FiOS TV. Is Sporsman channel going to teach me anything or it will just show off fancy stuff I will never buy?

I have both, but cable only for backup internet

Fios i get 25mbps download and 20mbps upload.

I had cable for 5 years and its slower than fios imo

612837743.png

I have 3 computers running and this is a wireless network connection

Thanks, Grunt. These are good results. I can only get 1/5 of the speed you got on a old laptop. I'll try on a better machine to see what happens.

looks like location makes big difference, according to speedtest.net's data. Cable is slower at some place and faster at others.

Cable is actually a shared internet connection, so your speed will be dictated by what your neighbors are downloading.

Fios is supposed to be dedicated. =P

612875085.png

And this is what it is on the same fios connection but through 802.11g wireless router.

I have Optimum business in the office, will check what that is tomorrow.

That's about the same what I got throught a 802.11.g wireless router and it is two routers away from the cable modem. Looks like I need to reconfig the network. But it looks like FiOS is good to get, even I got the same speed because the sportsman channel. I hope the sportsman channel is good. The short videos on their website are boring.

I have been on Fios since it was available in my area...probably about 3-4 years now.

Would never go back to cablevision. Better reception. Havent lost connection in internet or tv...yet. Faster internet. Nicer service techs on the phone.

I have 5 cable boxes, 3 of them HD DVR's. Hi speed internet running their wireless router & my own wireless router. Running 2 hardwired desktops & 3-4 wireless laptops. Have thier phone service as well with unlimited & included long distance.

It came out to about $60 cheaper than cablevision.

And yes, they have the Sportsman Channel & the Outdoor Channel

Im not really sure how these read out, mine a good speed?

like most counter thingys having to do with numbers and stuff, the bigger the better.

612925855.png

fuck cable, fios FTMFW

Really? My laptop is actually really fast. according to my numbers I should be on an

Etch A Sketch.

613180317.png

If you are into "filesharing", one *BIG* advantage of FIOS is you can actually use your maximum upload speed on a sustained basis and not be penalized.

Optimum/Cablevision will actually severely throttle your connection (reduce both your download and upload speeds) if you upload over a certain speed on a sustained basis. This is because uploading on a cable modem actually impacts the speed of the local branch of the cable modem network much more than downloading does.

Once I had a 20GB database to transfer to work, and I tried sending it to work via FTP from home. I started it from home in the morning, went to work and when I came home I noticed my cable connection was crawling. Called up Optimum and they scolded me for filesharing, told me they would uncap it "this time" but that next time it would be permanent.

We gave comcrap the big FU about a year ago and havnt looked back since.

For the longest time comcast was the ONLY high speed option in the area (and much of NJ for that matter). Only now that verizon is moving in and sweeping customers over, is comcrap actually offering decent prices on their services -- screw that, I hope they burn

If you saw what I get at work you'd all **** yourselves. :p

Recall that you're talking to IT guys here. We use a Wanscaler to our live backup site and have 400mbit effective. I can drop a file from one folder to another 8 feet or 2000 miles away and you can't tell.