AntZ

FiOS vs Cable

FiOS no question. We dropped Cablevision as soon as FiOS came to our area. We were the first in our little sub-development to get it installed. They couldn't pay us to go back.

Two complaints.

1. Sales people are not Verizon employee's.. so they will prolly mess up your order. But one call to the customer service number got it right and they gave us some free channels to make up for it.

2. The actiontec router is pretty much a piece of crap. The NAT table is very small, so you can lock it up by overloading the table with bit torrent very easily. You simply can't just switch out the router because the Cable Boxes get their guide information from the router. There are some work around's for this posted on the web, but it can get complex if your not an IT guy, and you need a decent router(real router) to add to the mix. I decided to hold off on doing it because it's my parent's service and of course it will go down when I'm not home.

I've been wanting to go take the cover off the ONT and try to plug directly into the CAT5 jack :-P

617417602.png

Office net is still slow.

But as far as do I feel it? Not really.

At one of the locations, I got 30+ on with speedtest but I don't feel the browser sessions are any faster with any of the sites, yahoo, foxnews msdn, google, cnn, bloomberg.... 5 probably is enough for most of the sites.

I see a lot of comparisons for High Speed Internet, but what I am really curious about is how they stack up on the TV side of the house.

Can anyone break down their likes and dislikes of each?

I have Cablevision and their equipment sucks, so much so I run Tivo boxes with cable cards.

Quality and Channel Selection are much better on FiOS. My Cablevision Boxes would lock up at least once a night.

With Fios, I noticed a slight amount of Pixel-ing one or two times for less than a minute the entire time we've had it.

The only thing better about optimum was the Free Video on Demand had more selections (Past episodes of Tv shows and such).

The ActionTec Router Fios gives you is a piece of crap, but so was the surfboard.

I perfer FIOS over Cable both in internet and TV. For internet it seams to depend on the browser I am using, Internet Exp. is about the same if not a little faster then cable but Google Chromn is very fast. TV picture is much better than cable and you can control your settings between 720p and 1080p.