usnmars

Monster Mosin.....Almost done. Updated 6-15-10

Well the project is progressing. I have a write up about 90% done on smooothing a bolt and lapping the lugs. Write up should be posted sometime tomorrow. The hard part so far was smoothing out the reciever, it looked like it was originally finished by a beaver. Here are some pics of the carnage so far!

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

This is going to have a ZB-59 machine gun barrel on it in the end. It is coming short chambered so I'll have to ream the chamber to adjust head space. As for removing the barrel, It wasn't bad. I kept the bolt in the whole time to keep everything from tweaking. The barrel came out quite easy with an impact wrench.

Well yesterday I started the stock. It was quite a pain to get everything to line up, but so far the buttstock looks good. I spliced in a psl style buttstock and sanded in finger grooves that fit me perfect. All splices are doweled and when it is all said and done with I am planning on fiber glassing it to give it a little more strength. I still have a ton of sanding to do and have to figure out something to do for a forend/handguard. Anyone got ideas for that?

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

Well I can say it aint ya momma's mosin anymore. Still need to figure out something for a handguard/forend. Here are some pics, it's just mocked up now, nothing tight yet.

Best of all, here is the parts breakdown.

Junk mosin for parts: $20.00

barrel:$49.00

psl stock: Free from friend

total cost of my project so far........$69.00!

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

here is the link for the barrel blank. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158044356 It shipped really quick, and screwed right in. I am going to have a buddy spin it on a lathe and make a nicer contour for me, right now that big bulge in it is driving me nuts. But I put it in tonight and it headspaced good, and also feeds good with dummy rounds!

I made a ton of progress today. I roughed out a fore end on the stock and drilled and tapped the receiver for the scope mount. Scope is mounted and ready to rock. rounded the trigger guard a little to be more comfortable. Pics coming when I get a chance. Damn it sucks waiting for glue to dry!

I still have an absolute ton of filing, sanding and filling before I get to fiberglass it. I still have to figure out an end cap, I am going to use the psl butt plate. Like I said before all joints are doweled and glued but I am going to put a solid couple of layers of fiberglass on it to tie it all together. Once I get a test fire out of it I am planning on doing a vietnam style tiger stripe using duracoat over the entire rifle, scope and all. My name is Eric and they call me BUBBA! :mrgreen:

4.jpg

1.jpg

The better question is, when are you building me one???

I will keep my eyes open for another $20 mosin for you. From there it is mainly all hand tools. Other than having the barrel spun on the lathe, the only power tools I used is a drill. Everything else was hand tools. It is so far a cheap and easy project, just VERY time consuming.

That is the barrel I used. It is pre cut for mosin threads. The crown is cut but has rough machining and needs to be smoothed out. The only thing I needed the lathe for was to cut that big bulge out of the middle of the barrel. It was aesthetic reasons not functionality, it was just ugly. From what I have seen so far, it headspaced good without reaming and seems to be timed right for the extractor. I wont know for sure until I do a test fire though. It does cycle with dummy rounds and seems like an awesome deal though.

Well boys, call me bubba too cuz i went and ordered one of those barrels to mess around with. now to find a donor rifle to sacrifice. :twisted: Anyone have a bare receiver lying around?