usnmars

Monster Mosin.....Almost done. Updated 6-15-10

The whole shebang is getting sprayed with alumahyde in vietnam tiger stripe camo, scope, bipod and all. I fiberglassed it today, and have a ton more sanding now. Hopefully monday after the test shoot I can start painting.

That is going to be my next project. I am going to have to use either single stack lahti mags or bren mags. The double stack psl mags were too wide and ended up being too much of a pain in the ass. I do have a receiver and mag well partially milled so soon you will see another monster project.

I am waiting on the pics of my targets. My dumb ass left them in the bed of Teds truck. Also I have a video of it in action coming too. It shot one ragged hole at 250 yds and was insane! Most of my day I was shooting 50 yds just to get everything zeroed. No issues with it what so ever, the stock even held up like a champ. I will say it makes the fireball of an m44 look like nothing.

Actually there was one problem. The trigger I slapped in it just so I could test it was by far the worst mosin trigger I have ever seen. It had to be a 15lb pull. You needed to tie the trigger to the bumber of a truck to get it to go off. I guess that gives me reason to start making a run of triggers......

here are some targets. I wasn't going for perfect zero today because I am going to be replacing the rings(they are junk) and take it apart so I can "paint" it, so why go for perfection. Today I was testing and seeing how it grouped. I was rather happy. On the first target is my first zeroing in, you can see how I walked it into center. The second target I was "playing" at 100 yds and the last target is 250yds 2 shots. At 250 it shot low(who cares right now) but you can see they are tighter than a gnat's ass. The horrible wind today wasn't helping any, I am sure without the wind they would be tighter.

100_11172.jpg

100_1118.jpg

The wind did suck today it blew a ammo can off my table and a plastic chair passed me :p

I will tell you I was surprised Eric didnt start a fire today while in the prone shooting position the fire ball coming out of that thing was wild and the sound it was like a cannon.

I tried to get a video with my phone but it didnt pick up the flash one of us did bring a camera so maybe that picked it up.

I just got my heavy barrel today and the chamber face concerns me. When comparing it to a genuine russian mosin barrel, there is an extra cutout leaving the shell a slight area where its unsupported. Do you suspect this will have any adverse effect on safety? I don't want to end up with a case rupture from this slot.

MN H-bar with extra slot

MN original russian bbl with no slot

I am not an expert, but I just went with it. I shot almost 250rds through mine and didnt have any issues with it. I figured if it was fine for the mosin extractor groove, the other groove will be just fine.

I know it's apples and oranges, but...

Unsupported chambers made Glock 40S&W pistols go kaboom occasionally with heavy loads. On Glocks, it's real obvious when you are exceeding the pressure you should. It's called a "Glock Smiley" on the brass.

I imagine that your 7.62 x54R ammo is running at 45,000+ psi, a lot more than a pistol round. I might stand to the side for the first shot, then extract the case and look at its base for any signs of bulging.

The gun has transformed quite a bit since the last update, but I still have a bunch of work to do. I need to camo the rings, bolt, and bipod and put a coat of clear on everything. I used my Dad's BDU's from Vietnam as a reference( I know I am a youngin') but I think it came out pretty darn close. My dad has affectionately nicknamed it "the snake eater," so I think I impressed him which is hard to do. There are a bunch of blemishes and goof ups, but for my first attempt at a sporter I think it is starting to look pretty bad a$$.

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00306.jpg