Sign in to follow this  
AndyM

Beretta 92 FS vs Taurus PT 99

Just got a new Browning Buckmark Contour with 7.25 inch barrel and I love it. You can feel the quality when you squeeze off a round. I also own a very old but mint .357 S & W, but we all know one more gun would be nice. I shot a .40cal and didnt like and liked the 9mm due to lower cost ammo and smooth firing. I have a neck injury and am not looking for a cannon. This will be my last gun for a LONG time (per the wife). I looked at the Taurus PT 92 and 99 and damn they look sexy in stainless. Then my buddy walked in with a Stainless Beretta 92 FS which fely great, but probably retails for $ 750 to $800 which is a bit high priced for me. I am now trying to decide on the black Beretta vs the stainless Taurus. One dealer called the Taurus junk and said only pimps carry stainless guns, LOL. He was of course a Beretta dealers and said Im better off getting the plain Beretta for reliabilty and quality. These retail for about $600 in NJ after shopping around a bit. Just wondering what some of the experienced shooters here would consider

Although Ive never fired the PT99 I have read good things. For the price I think they are well worth. Though I believe if you checked around you could find a used 92fs. Here is the PT99 at buds. 443 is pretty good.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/31370

• Like 1

This is a tuff decision. Over on the beretta forum noone complains about the quality of the Taurus PT 99. Either one is good but that beretta Inox is nice! Caso's has one and it is a real "pimp gun"!!!

I have owned both and will give you my honest opinion.

The only major difference between the two is that the Beretta has it's safety mechanism located on the slide, the Taurus has it's mechanism on the frame, much like a 1911. You can carry the Taurus cocked and locked if you wish. The blueing might not be as "deep" on the Taurus, but the grips are nicer on the Taurus then on the Beretta. I also liked the sights on my taurus more then the berettas. The outlined U sight on the Taurus were much nicer.

I think if you get the Taurus you will not be disapointed at all. Half the price, mags and parts interchange (except for safeties as mentioned above) and the same stout design.

The only time you will not like your Taurus is when it is time to sell or trade it. If you can get one cheap enough, you might recoup your money.

when I was looking for a 9, I looked at the Beretta, the Taurus and the CZ. I finally went with the CZ, but that's not the point. Both the Beretta and the Taurus were nice guns. They pointed the same for me, balanced the same, and to my eye had virtually identical fit and finish. If I had decided against the CZ, I most likely would have gotten the Taurus for the vast difference in price.

Yes it is. Hey sigman what day where you there ?? did you have your sig with you ??

I just ordered mine the 92fs inox is next in line.

I wish sig still made the 226ST this thing are hot too.

I was there Sat. morning from around 10:00am to 11:00. I didn't have the Sig (.40S&W Equinox)with me. I have about 1000 rounds through the Sig and it is buttery smooth. I was shooting a ruger GP100 and P95.