NFRs2000NYC

Really Getting Annoyed, looking for advice.

So I live in Millburn, NJ, a relatively small town. For the last 3 weeks, I've been trying to file for my FID, but have been told that the only person who can do this for me at the Millburn PD is one detective. I can't get him on the phone, he won't return phone calls, and I can't get in touch with him. I know for a fact that he has been in, and isn't on vacation or anything. Any advice as to my next step? I don't want to piss him off, but also don't like being jerked around.

go their and ask for him..if he is not their wait for him..

Thats what I was planning on doing tomorrow. However, I'm sure if I do find him, he will tell me he is busy, and that I need to call him to make an appointment. It also seems you need to file in your town, so I can't go to another PD.

I do believe that the Milburn PD is breaking the law. The are required to have your documents accepted by the same people that give out all the PD forms and documents like Crash Reports etc etc. I dont have the statue handy so I can not be quoted... but hopefully someone will come along and help out. If they will not give you the forms, that is also illegal. Those forms fall under public request documents, and when requested they are supposed to hand them out immediately.

I do believe that the Milburn PD is breaking the law. The are required to have your documents accepted by the same people that give out all the PD forms and documents like Crash Reports etc etc. I dont have the statue handy so I can not be quoted... but hopefully someone will come along and help out. If they will not give you the forms, that is also illegal. Those forms fall under public request documents, and when requested they are supposed to hand them out immediately.

All the forms you need are available on the State Police Website.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/forms.html#firearms

You need to fill out the Consent for Mental Health Records search form (one copy as I recall)

You also need to fill out the Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/Application to purchase a Handgun (two copies as I recall)

By the way, those are the ONLY forms required or permitted BY LAW. Fill them out in the PDF form, print them and bring them with you. You will also need a few money orders, I don't recall the amounts any longer.

Strange, like everyone else here, I handed in my stuff to the nice ladies at the Records section, who also give out police report copies, dog licence forms and whatnot. They checked it real quick and then they called me when all was done, about 6 weeks later. Getting intial FID I had to get fingerprinted and chatted with the Det during that exchange, but that was it. Have heard from some folks on here they have to go to an interview with the Chief. Maybe the Det. is swamped, and due to cutbacks this is one of many hats he/she wears? As far as NJSP, not sure that would work in the case where there is a PD in your town. Sems like the best advice so far is to go there and wait for them.

My town is the same way (one detective) though he is very open and fairly easy to get in contact with.

Price honestly depends on the PD, some charge you for their time and others just charge you what the state charges them. I live in one of the lucky towns where it only costs 18 dollars for "unlimited" permits where others pay 18 + 2 dollars for each additional permit. Find out first because they only accept money orders so it'd be a pain in the ass to get it only to find out it's incorrect.

Some food for thought, since 1 gun a month, you might have a hard time getting more then 3 or so permits depending on your PD...

yeah, nj sucks. BTW, you wouldn't happen to be dave would you? :)

Have you gone to the station? Detectives never return phone calls, they have better things to worry about, just show up at the station and it will probably be fine

I went last week, but he wasn't in. I will try again tomorrow, with hopefully, better results.

Check first. Many PD's have a sed day of the week where they do firearms stuff. The Majority of departments do NOT have someone assigned to work Firearms permits all the time, especially the smaller ones.

One more thing, can anyone tell me EXACTLY how much my money order needs to be for the application and 5 permits?

App. is $5 and each permit is $2 right? Total of $15, or do I have that wrong?

I believe the Background check with State Police is $18 money order. Each pistol permit is $2.

Well, good news. Went down there today, the detective was in, and he took care of everything for me. It just seemed like he just never checked his messages. Very nice guy actually, gave me some advice on first guns and all. Scheduled my fingerprinting for March 29th!

Some notes for others, but please take this with a grain of salt, as it might only be MY department.

They no longer want money orders when you apply. They collect payment when you actually come in to pick up your card.

Well, good news. Went down there today, the detective was in, and he took care of everything for me. It just seemed like he just never checked his messages. Very nice guy actually, gave me some advice on first guns and all. Scheduled my fingerprinting for March 29th!

Some notes for others, but please take this with a grain of salt, as it might only be MY department.

They no longer want money orders when you apply. They collect payment when you actually come in to pick up your card.

Interesting, I've dealt with two different towns, and they always wanted the money order when you apply, made out directly to the State Police. As well as the cash for the permits and FID up front.

Interesting, I've dealt with two different towns, and they always wanted the money order when you apply, made out directly to the State Police. As well as the cash for the permits and FID up front.

I just got mine last week and the ony thing I paid was $7 for the pistol permits and the $62 to Saigen Morpho. The guys behing the desk thought I had to give a money order too but the detective doing the work knew better.

All in all a pretty good experience for me

18.00 money order made out to sbi and 2.00 for every permit so that is 10.00 to your pd..give your pd cash and get a reciept..

for a grand total of 28.00 spent..

wish i was able to apply for more than one permit.. glad to see their are only a few being held up on 1 permit per app..

One more thing, can anyone tell me EXACTLY how much my money order needs to be for the application and 5 permits?

I believe the Background check with State Police is $18 money order. Each pistol permit is $2.

The $18.00 background check fee is only if you have your FID and are applying for more PP which are then $2 each. If you are applying for your FID and Pistol permits at the same time it's $60.25 plus $2 for each PP and $5 for the FID. I believe they are not allowed to charge more than that by NJ law.

So, I am not sure applying for 5 permits makes sense with OGAM. The permits are good for 90 days, and it is going to take 30 days per permit, so you need 31 days for 2, 61 days for 3, 91 days for 4, and 121 days for 5. I think the 4th and 5th permits are going to expire before you can use them. I know you can apply for extensions, but that may be terrible in Millburn....