GoNRA

Break the law and your new 'friend' may be the FBI

they wouldnt impersonate anyone you know.

But if you think anything on facebook is private, sadly mistaken.

When you sign up for a facebook profile, you click the checkbox acknowledging that anything you post becomes property of facebook.

When I did hiring for Ameriprise and UBS, at the office level, we would routinely check facebook, myspace, and do an overall google to see what kind of "winnner" we had on hand. You would be surprised what stupid shit people do and post in public.

Btw, remember the nutjob from arf.com that posted pics of him with high cap mags, pointing a gun at his friends face, pictures of him stabbing him.... yeah, the "winner" that was arrested for selling full auto converted ar15's to an undercover fbi agent. I am sure they got plenty of ammo, pun intended, on facebook.

maybe we will have less spam on facebook. =P

When I did hiring for Ameriprise and UBS, at the office level, we would routinely check facebook, myspace, and do an overall google to see what kind of "winnner" we had on hand. You would be surprised what stupid **** people do and post in public.

+1

Just curious.. and you dont have to answer of course.. but how many of you are participating in criminal activity.. people post stuff like this on the net all the time... and i just don't get the concern.. my life is an open book.. all 5 firearms i own were all legally purchased, no flash hiders, no "large capacity mags", etc.... i have paperwork for them all sitting in a nice neat binder in my safe... there is nothing i do that i really feel the need to hide.. i think that when people act paranoid it sends the message that you ARE up to something.. while i do NOT like my private personal space invaded.. i am also not going to lose sleep thinking that some fed that views me as an "extremist" might know i went out partying Saturday night with my g/f for her birthday :roll: ... or that i just bough a new (to me) mustang.. i just live a simple lawful life, and therefore have NOTHING to worry about..

Just curious.. and you dont have to answer of course.. but how many of you are participating in criminal activity.. people post stuff like this on the net all the time... and i just don't get the concern.. my life is an open book.. all 5 firearms i own were all legally purchased, no flash hiders, no "large capacity mags", etc.... i have paperwork for them all sitting in a nice neat binder in my safe... there is nothing i do that i really feel the need to hide.. i think that when people act paranoid it sends the message that you ARE up to something.. while i do NOT like my private personal space invaded.. i am also not going to lose sleep thinking that some fed that views me as an "extremist" might know i went out partying Saturday night with my g/f for her birthday :roll: ... or that i just bough a new (to me) mustang.. i just live a simple lawful life, and therefore have NOTHING to worry about..

while I can agree with your arguement, I also have to wonder how you would measure security with privacy.

To bad they dont have a warrant so nothing they get will hold up in court.. lmfao

False. Why do you think they would need a warrant?

Which Kevin smith movie is that from? I see some parts from Jay and silent Bob strike back...but don't recognize the others.

while I can agree with your arguement, I also have to wonder how you would measure security with privacy.

my g/f and i both have a facebook account.. we use them to communicate with people we do not see on a daily basis and to share images and video with friends and family.. there are really only a handful of people im "friends" with who i do not actually know in real life.. with that said facebook CAN be an ENORMOUS security liability.. my g/f being on 21 (i am 32) is of that age of people who like to use facebook to announce to the world that they are doing things prior to doing them.. "hey guys will be away for the next two weeks going to europe! yay!" (in other words come rob my house)... we do NOT partake in those types of postings.. she understand that she can post anything she wants about our trips and activities AFTER they have occurred lol.. that is really the only security issue i see with social networks such as facebook... yeah sure i am "friends" with some people who might be considered a little on the extreme side, but last time i checked you can not be tried or convicted for merely talking to someone who is somewhat questionable..

i am pretty sure that if YOU ALLOW them access to your face book via accepting them as a friend a warrant would not be needed... along the same lines as inviting an officer into your home when you really don't NEED to..

my g/f and i both have a facebook account.. we use them to communicate with people we do not see on a daily basis and to share images and video with friends and family.. there are really only a handful of people im "friends" with who i do not actually know in real life.. with that said facebook CAN be an ENORMOUS security liability.. my g/f being on 21 (i am 32) is of that age of people who like to use facebook to announce to the world that they are doing things prior to doing them.. "hey guys will be away for the next two weeks going to europe! yay!" (in other words come rob my house)... we do NOT partake in those types of postings.. she understand that she can post anything she wants about our trips and activities AFTER they have occurred lol.. that is really the only security issue i see with social networks such as facebook... yeah sure i am "friends" with some people who might be considered a little on the extreme side, but last time i checked you can not be tried or convicted for merely talking to someone who is somewhat questionable..

agreed. I play social networking games, so I have on a few accounts over 10,000 friends... good luck viewing all of them lmfao 3/4 of them I dont know.

Just curious.. and you dont have to answer of course.. but how many of you are participating in criminal activity..

Nothing to do with criminal activity in my case. The way I look at it, if someone I know needs to contact me, they know how to. If they don't know how to, then, chances are, I don't want them to contact me. Also, because of my profession, I'm naturally distrustful of having too much info about myself accessible online.

I'm just a private person. Hell, my real name isn't even Pete 8-)

Honestly, if the Fed wants to investigate you, they will find the means too. Whether they use DOJ SOP or call in the heavy from the DOD assets, you can't hide from them :naughty:

So, like Damaged, I don't concern myself with privacy issues. Sure, I do concern myself with OPSEC, but that's against the criminal public, haha. For example, if I get a few purchases, I won't just leave the boxes outside to advertise I just got some new, expensive stuff. I also tuck things away in my trunk (if I happen to go shopping), and leave the inside of my vehicle as barren as possible as a deterrent. I also don't put bumper stickers on my vehicle because [they're pointless and a mess to clean off] I don't want to be a moving advertisement of stuff that people might want.

But in terms of my life as a whole, its an "open book." Just look at the fine print of everything you sign if you're truly paranoid... and if it still bothers you, live off the grid because that's the only way to be free of it.

As for foreign CI and hackers (because they're often one in the same/contracted/equally capable), that's the only gray area. I'm careful with the information that I broadcast over the internet, limiting it to information that could be accessed regardless. But in terms of limited access materials, I use different methods of hardening.

I get a few purchases, I won't just leave the boxes outside to advertise I just got some new, expensive stuff. I also tuck things away in my trunk (if I happen to go shopping), and leave the inside of my vehicle as barren as possible as a deterrent. I also don't put bumper stickers on my vehicle because [they're pointless and a mess to clean off] I don't want to be a moving advertisement of stuff that people might want.

i do all that same stuff!... lol

So is it safe to say that "authorities" scan this forum? I am betting yes.

sssshhhhhh you have to pretend like they are not here.. ;)

To bad they dont have a warrant so nothing they get will hold up in court.. lmfao

If I'm not mistaken your trash at the curb does not need a warrant?

Facebook is the same deal. You put it out there for the world to see.

The is why I do not join and facebook games. You give up to rights when you join.

Follow the rule of don't post anything on the internet that can come back and bite you in the butt. I'm always surprised about what some people I worked with post. Seemingly innocent, just the perception comes across badly.

Kind of like those people that email somewhat "racy" photos of themselves to friends then are surprised when they start appearing all over the internet.

I see it as kids being a bit too trusting in some cases. Adults should know better and yet they still fall for the Nigerian Lottery Winner scams. If I were a parent I'd be scared to death every time the kids got on the computer. There are just too many out there willing to take advantage. Years ago I gave some simple seminars to parents who had no idea what was involved with the internet. AOL was the big service and IM's were the rage. I was dumbfounded when parents told me they thought AOL or other providers screened every message for content. Then we did a search using relative tame words. they were somewhat surprised what popped up. Probably most went home and disconnected the CPU's.

The bucket 3, and the other parts of the site are in fact only viewable to members. so google is not going to pick it up, but if someone registers on th site, they can view it.

I havent gotten any investigation requests, so knocking on wood. lol.

besides... there is plenty of LEO amongst us anyway. lol.