Sign in to follow this  
NickySantoro

County Mounties out in force

The badged up dullards more commonly known as the Bergen County Police are out in full force today trying to generate revenue to justify their putrid existence. Watch yourselves, especially on Rt 17 in Paramus.

ETA: What's with the "thes" becoming "teh"?

teh badged up dullards more commonly known as teh Bergen County Police are out in full force today trying to generate revenue to justify their putrid existence. Watch yourselves, especially on Rt 17 in Paramus.

ETA: What's with teh "thes" becoming "teh"?

the internet broke. i called google and they said it should be fixed tonight.

teh badged up dullards more commonly known as teh Bergen County Police are out in full force today trying to generate revenue to justify their putrid existence. Watch yourselves, especially on Rt 17 in Paramus.

From what I heard, they are a police force that no town in bergen county needs, so they try to justify their existence.

Personally I think they should merge all police into the county system.

That being said as it stands the county police are kind of redundant at the moment.

If you only knew how much of a delay there would be before an officer begins responding to a 9-1-1 call in a County Dispatch system you would change your mind very very quickly.

Listen I am all for enforcing laws but I have been pulled over by the infamous Bergen County police on Route 17 in Paramus because I didnt have ratchet tie down strap holding my ladders down. I had the cam lock straps. Come on now??

That does seem absurd, and I can't say I've ever had to deal with PD up there as I avoid North Jersey like the plague. I just have to deal with a crapload of cop-bashing on the automotive forums I frequent, and it gets old very very quickly.

That being said as it stands the county police are kind of redundant at the moment.

bergen is one of the last counties that still maintains a County PD, almost all of the rest have merged with the SO.

Bergen is the last county with this many layers of police, we also have our beloved Palisades Parkway Police, and the court looks like that movie 'nothing but trouble' from the 80's...

Too many cops around here, county police are just parked looking for tickets...my advice to all motorists is to drive within the speed limit as theses guys are now 'revenue grabbers' for the state and local pocket. Also State Schwastafflers are on the TPK in numbers these days as well.

Keep that high quality radar detector on, as sometimes the cops car emits a radar, or they go to 'low power mode' and just cruise looking for perceived infractions...

The badged up dullards more commonly known as the Bergen County Police are out in full force today trying to generate revenue to justify their putrid existence. Watch yourselves, especially on Rt 17 in Paramus.

What are "County Police" here in NJ? Unless that is a nondescript reference to the Sheriff, I am unfamiliar with the term.

What are "County Police" here in NJ? Unless that is a nondescript reference to the Sheriff, I am unfamiliar with the term.

nope, not part of the sheriff's dep't. just a redundant force, giving out tickets. I heard a couple town PDs don't really get along with them.

They should rename themselves to be called "Ticket Givers"

When I was living out in North NJ the wife and I got pulled over by one who was a real a-hole. You could tell he was looking for more when he couldn't find anything he gave us a ticket for tint and even had the nerve to give us a ticket for having mardi gra beads on the rear view mirror. Now I don't mind the tint but beads. Really? They weren't even big enough to obstruct our view.

nope, not part of the sheriff's dep't. just a redundant force, giving out tickets. I heard a couple town PDs don't really get along with them.

So then, operating within Bergen County are the County Sheriff, the County Police and the local township/city police? These mixed in with the State Police as well?

I think a good case for redundancy can surely be made there. And I suspect that unless a balance has been struck within the townships to account for these extra officers, it appears to be a potential waste of taxpayer funds as well.

But aside from that, what is the root of the seemingly very hard feelings? Is it that many feel as though they just don't belong, or are their enforcement tactics and overall attitude what drive the resentment? I am getting the impression they look for petty violations, but what is their motive? Why would they look to cite petty stuff any more than the surrounding departments, this since they all have an interest in generating revenue?

the state police patrol the state highways, sometimes they just happen to be in the towns. They do have the resources to assist towns when needed...like if a town doesn't have a bomb squad unit, crime scene unit, or swat team. The towns also bring their evidence to the state police labs for analysis.

the state police patrol the state highways, sometimes they just happen to be in the towns. They do have the resources to assist towns when needed...like if a town doesn't have a bomb squad unit, crime scene unit, or swat team. The towns also bring their evidence to the state police labs for analysis.

Appreciate the information, but I am well aware of how the State Police operate. Just unfamiliar with a County Police, this but for the Sheriff.

Still, maybe someone can shed light on what the real issue appears to be with these folks. As of now it essentially seems to be blind hostility so far. On top of that the OP referred to one gentleman as being simple just for implying that they are doing their job.

No facts so far, just rhetoric.

If you only knew how much of a delay there would be before an officer begins responding to a 9-1-1 call in a County Dispatch system you would change your mind very very quickly.

I dont know about that.I'm from Long Island originally and the county Police there are super fast to respond to 911 calls. Unless Jersey is the third world I dont think the transition would even be noticed. To be honest I think I have seen maybe 10 county cops since moving here 5 years ago. I must not know the donut shop they hangout at.

Copied from the Bergen County Police website:

Since those early days the Bergen County Police Department has been able to offer support services to all of the Bergen County municipalities.

Copied from the Bergen County Police website: ...

The State Police already have all that, and is paid for with state taxes. Why do they need redundant units? I don't really care that much, because I'm not paying for their salaries (unless of course they are covered by the state pension system). the county residents have to flip the bill.

Appreciate the information, but I am well aware of how the State Police operate. Just unfamiliar with a County Police, this but for the Sheriff.

Still, maybe someone can shed light on what the real issue appears to be with these folks. As of now it essentially seems to be blind hostility so far. On top of that the OP referred to one gentleman as being simple just for implying that they are doing their job.

No facts so far, just rhetoric.

Bergen Sheriff's Dept Used to ONLY do the courts and corrections. At the time the BCPD handled everything else in the county, there really wasnt a redundency. NOW, the BCSO also does patrol, and has special units that BCPO does as well, which is where the redundency comes in now. Te REAL issue is that 2 of the above posters are consitant in their animus towards ALL LE. Once you put it into perspective, it's easy to filter out. Oh, and for the record, Doesnt matter if it's a Municipal or County Officer issuing the summons, if it's a state Statute, which ALL of the Moving violations are 80% of the fines monies go to the statem and NOT the Town/County. I can write 10, summonses or 1000 doesnt matter a damn to me. Hell I probably SHOULD write more since every court date is overtime for me (one of the benefits of working nights), but i know MY court specifically schedules Morning Courts for the guys who work Am and days, and evening Court for the guys who work 2-10/7-3.

Te REAL issue is that 2 of the above posters are consitant in their animus towards ALL LE. Once you put it into perspective, it's easy to filter out.

It doesn't sound like it. I think they're just pissed they didn't get a break when they were pulled over.

I've been pulled over a couple times by local PDs...Of all the agencies, only BCPD didn't give me a break. even the "professional courtesy" card didn't work.

My 0.02

I have absolutely no problem with LE when that is what they are doing jobs to make people safer.

When our pinhead politicians keep coming up with ways to make LE a source of income, that's when I have a problem.

I recently moved to Bergen county and cannot belive the amount of police cars on rt 208. Last week in Oakland the police were standing in the middle of an intersection on Ramapo Valley Rd. Just looking at inspection stickers and checking for seat belts. I know they are just following orders but shouldn't they have more important things to do ?

I guess right now it's all about generating revenue.

My 0.02

I have absolutely no problem with LE when that is what they are doing jobs to make people safer.

When our pinhead politicians keep coming up with ways to make LE a source of income, that's when I have a problem.

Makes perfect sense to me, very sound logic.

I suppose the question then is are these officers more prone to writing trivial tickets than others, or is there just resentment because some feel they are illegitimate overall?

One of my good friends is an officer for Bergen County Sheriff's Dept. He was asked to join the Bergen County Police Dept. Based on his test scores for Civil Service Exam I believe. He didn't want to do it as they want you to go out and write tickets. A lot of tickets. I got pulled over by a Bergen County Police Officer a few years back. After dealing with me he had someone else pulled over by the time I put my information away and merged back into traffic on Rt. 17...

Where Route 4 and 17 meet is the worst for Bergen County Police. They are always and I mean ALWAYS out there year round. Don't matter what the weather is. Don't even try to use those PBA cards. They work in a lot of areas but not for the Bergen County Police. From what I understand they started nailing commercial vehicles for safety violations for years. Anything from a dangerous overweight load to something trivial like an unclear license plate. Lately for the past couple of years they have been writing some petty offense tickets. Tinted windows, noisey muffler, crooked license plate, and yes I am serious. Drive down Route 4 with a crooked license plate and I bet he pulls you over. I am so glad that I moved out of that area. I was with them all the way when they were pulling over those trucks that were not maintained properly as that is dangerous to everyone but now they are getting desperate. I have probably been pulled over by them a dozen times driving different company vehicles in a 5-7 year span.

The BCPD is still around? I moved out of there almost 20 years ago, have no desire to go back. they used to patrol the county owned parks and Bergen Community college, IIRC. I don't remember them being very active in southern Bergen co. When I was living in new Brunswick, the Middlesex County PD gave me a ticket once for something. I have since seen that they have been dissolved or made into park police only. Must be some benefit to politicians to keep the redundant BCPD going--