Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJM981

N00b Replacing a stock and a barrel swap

Okay I need some help here. I want to replace my crappy uncomfortable pinned retractable carbine stock. It's the one that came with my Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine. I'm looking at an ACE Skeleton stock. They make one that is 9.9" and uses a standard A1/A2 receiver extension tube, buffer and spring. There is also the 7 & 1/4" ACE Entry Skeleton Stock which uses CAR length buffer and spring. Which one will work with the buffer and spring from the Bushy M4A3 Carbine Post Ban?

I'm also looking to free float my barrel. Would it be less expensive to buy a new barrel or bring it to a gunsmith with the rails I want and have him cut the compensator off and then reattach it? I don't have a vise or the clamp blocks for removing the barrel so I'd have to buy them as well if I bought a new barrel.

My humble recommendations:

For the stock, take a serious look at the Sully Stock. I have one, highly recommend them, and would use one in a second on my next build. Some will say they are pricey ($120ish) but they are built like a tank, and the weight helps balance out most rifles. LOP is 8-9", and if you want something longer you can get a spacer for $5. It comes with a carbine buffer tube, spring, and buffer (which factors into the cost)

For the rail, I would also recommend anything from Daniel Defense, including the Omega line of rails. These require no change to the weapon, and snap on using the existing delta ring which makes its really easy for us poor souls with tacked on muzzle devices. All you have to do is remove the handguards on your rifle, drop in the DD rails, and tighten 2 set screws to lock it up. Not to mention they are lighter then most M4 Double shielded handguards.

Again just my opinion, but I did precisely these things to my first build. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm not familiar with ACE stocks, so I can't really comment on that.

However, I do have a Sully stock on my AR as well, and I would recommend one as well. Just checked the LOP, and it is indeed 8'' exact. The extender for another $5 adds one inch. Here's the link for Sully stocks and its [short] list of accessories: http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servl ... Categories

As for FF, getting something like the DD omega rails would be a cheaper (or at least more simple) alternative, as Proactive pointed out. It doesn't require any gunsmithing or special tools, just some money.

it's $132.95 (less shipping) for the entire shebang from Ace ltd, Stocl tube spring and bufffer. I put one on my current rifle back around christmas, and I like it a LOT. If you want shorter, there is the ACE Entry, or the Sully. I know Greg Sullivan and he's a Solid guy and his products are as well. Next build is going to carry a Sully Stock.

Thank you everybody for the advice. The Omega rail makes sense. then I don't have to get that fronyt sight off. The stock came in a Post Ban Configuration directly from Bushmaster. I do not believe it was a collapsable stock that was pinned, but rather a stock meant to look like a collapsable. I'll have to look into what length the spring and buffer are.

Edit: A fixed length

Thank you everybody for the advice. The Omega rail makes sense. then I don't have to get that fronyt sight off. The stock came in a Post Ban Configuration directly from Bushmaster. I do not believe it was a collapsable stock that was pinned, but rather a stock meant to look like a collapsable. I'll have to look into what length the spring and buffer are.

Edit: A fixed length

Man, it really irks me when AR guys call assembling a bunch of parts on the kitchen table a "build"

Last I looked, you dont Install Barrels, or Drill, Pin, and Weld Muzzle Devices on the Kitchen Table.

Hey, as long as it's that level of detail. I've seen people attach an upper to a lower and call it a "build"

Let them call it whatever they want, it's their rifle and their BUILD!

Would you prefur ASSEMBLY? or ATTACHMENT?

I'm also looking to free float my barrel. Would it be less expensive to buy a new barrel or bring it to a gunsmith with the rails I want and have him cut the compensator off and then reattach it? I don't have a vise or the clamp blocks for removing the barrel so I'd have to buy them as well if I bought a new barrel.

By the time you do all this it may be less expensive to buy a new upper and partially finance it by selling your original. IMO, a possibility to consider.

Hey, as long as it's that level of detail. I've seen people attach an upper to a lower and call it a "build"

Either assembly or attachment would be good. As long as they're not saying build.

By the time you do all this it may be less expensive to buy a new upper and partially finance it by selling your original. IMO, a possibility to consider.

Yea that is what my brother recommended. Does anyone make a low cost high quality upper, or like with most firearms stuff(except Magpul) you get what you pay for?

Either assembly or attachment would be good. As long as they're not saying build.

I said barrel swap. ;)

For $265 plus shipping you could free float your barrel yourself in about 10 minutes...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=393043

I'm assuming you have 7" handguards. It would help if you had a second pair of hands to remove your existing handguards, or you could borrow/buy a handguard remove tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=664260

For $265 plus shipping you could free float your barrel yourself in about 10 minutes...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=393043

I'm assuming you have 7" handguards. It would help if you had a second pair of hands to remove your existing handguards, or you could borrow/buy a handguard remove tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=664260

That's looking like the cheapest option at this point.

If you use an ACE stock, you'll need a new receiver extension (buffer tube), and perhaps a new buffer and spring, which depends on what you have and what you want to get.

I have this rifle. Do you know if it's a carbine buffer or a1/a2?

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp

I've made up my mind on the rail option. I just want to order the stock at the same time to save on shipping. I asked Bushmaster and they haven't responded. :(

If you use an ACE stock, you'll need a new receiver extension (buffer tube), and perhaps a new buffer and spring, which depends on what you have and what you want to get.

I have this rifle. Do you know if it's a carbine buffer or a1/a2?

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp

I've made up my mind on the rail option. I just want to order the stock at the same time to save on shipping. I asked Bushmaster and they haven't responded. :(

That is a carbine Buffer. the A1/A2 Buffer tube is a cylinder without the bottom lug for the Adjustable stock.

Okay thanks pipes. The spring would be carbine length too then? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Affirm, you would need the A1 tube, rifle spring and rifle buffer. I just bought the whole thing directly from Ace. Looks like the price went up a little bit.

Let us know what you end up with, so I can live vicariously through your new purchase ;)

Okay I'm going with the omega rails and the ace skeleton. And a rear buis. Maybe some other goodies as well. Not sure just yet, but I'll post pictures when I'm done. ;)

Thanks again to Pipes and everyone else for the help.

you DID order the Buffer Tube, spring, and Buffer....right?

I order a Receiver Extension Buffer Tube for AR-15 A1/A2 Stock and spring. I guess I can't use the buffer that's in there? :(

Edit: Do I need to buy a new lock ring too?

I order a Receiver Extension Buffer Tube for AR-15 A1/A2 Stock and spring. I guess I can't use the buffer that's in there? :(

Nope you need a rifle buffer... i might have an extra around here if you need it. No lock ring is necessary because it doesnt use the plate, it screws in and bottoms out on a rim, at the right distance to hold in the buffer retainer.

Nope you need a rifle buffer... i might have an extra around here if you need it. No lock ring is necessary because it doesnt use the plate, it screws in and bottoms out on a rim, at the right distance to hold in the buffer retainer.

Yea ordered the buffer from Midway listed in stock then get the "oops it's back ordered" email. So the web page lists it as in stock but right after I check out it's listed as back order and not available till May 23. Sneaky sneaky. But I digress. This is all arbitrary since I lost my detent spring after watching my buffer stop pin shoot across the room after I twisted the buffer trying to get the foam on the buffer tube. :teasing-dunce: Anyone know a reliable place to order from?

Edit: After telling me May 23rd it shipped the next day after charging me for another 12 bucks for shipping. :evil:

Love Midway to death, and ive bought a lot of stuff from them, but Brownelles is SO much better for soem things. Anyway i kind of forgot to tell you to Lube up the tube, or putting the foam on is a stone bitch. unfortunately i DONT have those parts in my kit or id get them off to you tomorrow. Do you have the rest of the LPK installed, and if nor do you know the "Trick" for setting the front takedown pin Detent..without spending the $8-$40.00 for the fancy armorer's tool?