usnmars

What is your most interesting gun?

Do you have a gun with a interesting history or story behind it? If so what ya got?

I have a Peter the Great M91 that is completely covered in shrapnel. Makes you think what the hell happened to this thing?

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

Or I have a bringback German K98(repro sling) that smells like hell. It is so bad I dont even keep it in my safe with the other guns. When you shoot it, If you shoot it a lot it makes you smell, so it doesn't get shot that much. I asked the vet that gave it to me about it and he said "the previous owner was all over that damn gun when he picked it up." After smelling the gun I believe it. A couple of board members were present when I shot it once, they didn't believe me. Once it got hot they were firm believers and asked me to put it away.

thepair-2-1.jpg

My most interesting gun would also fulfill the categories of "favorite" and "most valuable". Here it is...

model71.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a Winchester Model 71 Special (also called "Deluxe"). I first shot this gun when I was about 10 years old. It was my father's and he had purchased it from a PA State Policeman in about 1956. It also accounted for my first whitetail. For those unfamiliar with the 71, it was the only gun ever chambered in .348 Winchester. Many of these guns were converted to .405 caliber (shooting a necked-up .348 cartridge) and were favored by Alaskan guides. Winchester's idea was to try and duplicate .30-06 ballistics with a tube-magazine lever action. The 71 was a strengthened 1886 receiver and was the strongest lever action they made.

I so coveted this gun that when Browning announced they were going to make replicas of it (as they have of so many other classic Winchesters since) in the early 1970's, I promptly got on the waiting list. I told my father about the gun and that I was on the list - at a time when I was newly married and was not making enough money for such an extravagance. The plan was to save in the meantime and have the money by the time the Browning 71 was available (we've all been there). That Christmas, my father gave me his Winchester Model 71. While I eventually inherited all his guns, this one means so much to me because he gave it out of love.

What really sets this gun apart is that it is a Special/Deluxe model, which means it is checkered and has sling swivels and sling (still has the original sling). Also it is equipped with a peep-sight, rather than a barrel-mounted notched blade-type. The peep on this one is a Winchester bolt-mounted sight with a screw-out aperture. Later rifles used Williams receiver mounted peeps. This is also what they call a "long-tang" gun. Later models used a short-tang. They manufactured this model from 1935 through 1957. This particular Model 71 has a three-digit serial number and was made in the first year of production.

Thanks for reading.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

downsized_0321001518.jpg

I have 2 Colt Officer's Model Match pistols that are exactly the same, except for caliber. One is a 38 special and the other a 22lr. They were given to me by my mom for whom they were given to by her mom and dad. They were bought used from an East Orange gun shop in the fifties for a tiny amount. I have the original bill of sale, business card of the gun shop, and colt key that came with these 2 pistols. Still shoot them alot and the 22 is a plinking man's dream!

Out of curiosity...What's it smell like? :?

a mix of roadkill on the road in the summer and moldy mildewey. As per my gunsmith I keep rubbing vanilla into it once a month to try to neutralize the smell. It has helped quite a bit, but once it gets hot it starts coming out agin.

Out of curiosity...What's it smell like? :?

a mix of roadkill on the road in the summer and moldy mildewey. As per my gunsmith I keep rubbing vanilla into it once a month to try to neutralize the smell. It has helped quite a bit, but once it gets hot it starts coming out agin.

Strip it down and soak it in Febreeze! :dance:

Ray Ray, I have a twin to yours (.38) with the original grips. I got an info sheet from Colt showing it was sold to a Boston gun shop in 1912!

PICS or it don't exhist! Nice bro, the 22 is a true plinker and the 38 has a real nice trigger.

I have a P-17 Enfield from Eddystone, PA. I had it rebuilt because the original was in such horrible condition. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot and I love holding a piece from WWI.

Probably my Smith and Wesson 66-3. May not be the most interesting to anyone else but I got an insane deal on it with the box and original papers. it even has the original cleaning kit unused. As well as the original receipt from the first buyer from 1989.

Picture234.jpg

I really don't have anything curious, unfortunately. I'd say my most interesting gun is Max-11 with Gemtech Viper.

file.php?id=950

I have a Colt 1903 hammerless pocket pistol made in 1925. I find it a little interesting, but no pic available at the moment.

brooklyn firearms company teat fire revolver.not worth a lot of money but its very interesting as a transitional piece.loading gate is in front of cylinder.the bullet is 32 cal the case is strange as it is not rim ,center,or pin fire it has a primer like apendage soldered on rear of case.the gun has a lot of engraving nikel plating birds head grip and a spur trigger