Sign in to follow this  
JimmyAGR

Eotech, Aimpoint or Trigicon?

Okay I know there is a large difference between them, but if anyone has experience with them I would appreciate any input. I was at the range today with my standard AR. It has an "F" front site and Trot flip rear. This was my second time shooting it and was a good learning experience. I was able to dial in and consistently hit a 4" circle off hand at 50 yards, twice that at 100, and on paper 18X18 at 200 meters. I already have an SPR type AR with a Leupold 6X18 for 300 yds plus that I am very comfortable with, but I am looking for something that will be best for 25 to 250 yds or so. I like the easy part of the Eotech and can possibly add a magnifier, but wondering if the Trigicon would suit that better. I have never used a red dot site so I am wondering if it worth it? Any suggestions would be appreciated from those with experience with any of the above mentioned.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Readers digest since im short on time this AM

Aimpoint:

Main focus is CQB distance. GREAT in this arena.

Can fire accurately at distance but not its fortay.

Has no magnification so target ID at distance is an issue

Has no BDC in ret or knob.

Eotech same as above with exception of some new models with BDC dots calibrated for 62 gr. 5.56. I have one on T&E. I dont like it at all. The entire ret is so grainy I dont see getting any accuracy at the distances the dots subtend, but I havent tried to either so YMMV.

My personal opinion on magnifiers. I dont see it but cant deny there are many that are effectively using this method. To me the complication of a swinging optic and taking a big dot and putting mag in front of it making it BIGGER seem counter productive to me.

Acog:

Many models filling many different roles. Likely you can find a solution here if you need an optic that can pull double duty as CQB and magnified distance firing. Other versions of the Acog are suitable for longer distance precision fire but not so hot for CQB. I use a TA33H-G for the all around CQB with some distance thrown in. BAC needs to work for you with this solution.

Accupoint:

If they put a ret in there like the TA33H-G this would be the heat...but they dont so a variable optic with no BDC??? I dont see it. Post ret is no good IMO.

Shane

Your welcome! The one that I think comes closest to one size fits all is the Elcan Specter DR. but my wallet sweats just thinking about it! There are solutions on the horizon that make the Elcan look like the bargain :shock: So like in racing, speed costs, how fast can you afford to go, such is usually the case in optics!

I'm an eoptics n00b, but I have an eotech on my AR, and I can get about 4" at 50 yards like you off hand. But I'm better with the iron sights at that distance.

At 50 yards irons are no problem as I can still see the target, it's when I get to 100+. See the thread on age, LOL. At past 100 yards I'm able to hit the target because I remember where I put it :D . I don't have good target confirmation as I am only shooting small pieces of paper, not full sized silhouettes.

I just want one optic that can do it all, that is affordable, LOL. Not too much to ask is it?

Jimmy

maks, just be aware of one quirk if you will of the Specter and a bit of a turn off for me. You zero it at 4X because the way the internals work, there is a POI shift when you flip to 1 X. Now since 1X is for CQB, the shift shouldnt be enough to matter but... I know some people that had a fair amount of shift. AT this time I'd hold up to get a look at the new offerings coming from premiere and S&B. They are unique in that they have a first focal plane ret AND a second focal plane dot.

Shane

I have an Aimpoint CompM4 that I greatly enjoy at close range (<50 yds), and even out to 100 yds. You can use the adjustable brightness settings to make the dot appear smaller for the longer range shots, which is quickly done by spinning the dial with the support hand.

I also have an Acog - which remains the cleanest glass that I own. I have the TA01-NSN, but is not BAC compatible. It has a drawback at "bad breath" distance, and anything less then 20 yds or so. The 4x magnification can make it more difficult to find your target at that range then a red dot sight would.

I have never shot an EoTech, but have looked through a number of them. I have an astigmatism is both eyes, and when looking through an EoTech the circle looks like it's slightly twisting around (harder to explain then I thought it would be). With the Aimpoint, the single dot makes a clearer sight picture, which is why its on my beat 'em up carbine :twisted:

Hope this helps

I have an astigmatism is both eyes, and when looking through an EoTech the circle looks like it's slightly twisting around (harder to explain then I thought it would be).

Really? I have Astigmatism as well, though it's corrected through my glasses.... still - without them I can still see circular objects as such...

Most of my experiences were with EOTechs, but I wasn't all that thrilled when I bought one for personal use. A bit cluttered IMHO, though with NVG-use I prefer the EOTech. I switched over to the Aimpoint H-1, and while it took me some time, I highly prefer it. The housing seems to disappear into the FOV, making target acquisition quite easy (and its very, very light).

Aimpoint H-1 will most likely be my next purchase... Huge weight difference compared to the CompM4, and I think the smaller objective size should not be a problem. Not to mention Larue just released a slick little lightweight mount for the H-1/T-1 :twisted:

I have considered the trijicon several times. The one stalling point for me is that the fiber optics are supposed to last for about 7 years...can't remember where I read that. I would hate to but one and then have to replace it just because it went bad from time. Granted it probably will last a little longer, but you never know. Anyone have any personal expereince with them?

Also, one thing I notice a lot about pictures coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan are that most of the troops seem to be using the trijicon ACOG with battery backup.

I believe the shelf-life is around 10-12 years. Regardless, ACOGs are built like a tank and can take a hell of a beating (I know this from the field). The fiber optics and tritium are only used to illuminate the reticle, and the ACOG will still work even if the tritium and fiber optics lose their illumination capabilities. I wouldn't recommend an ACOG for casual use, but I also know better then to judge how a person spends their money. With that said, a person who's "mission orientation" means they'll be using their rifle day-in-day-out in situations where they need a bit more range, then sure it makes perfect sense. Otherwise, its something to think about twice IMHO.

And a battery backup for ACOGs? I guess you might be taking about the micro-dot systems that can be attached, but no ACOG model uses any type of battery. ACOGs only utilize either tritium or tritium and fiber optics.

I have an Eotech A65 on demo so I tossed it on my Colt 6940. Took that and my XCR with an Acog TA33G-H to the three gun last weekend. Results were almost identical to when I did this same thing but with an aimpoint instead of an Eotech. I was a little over a second faster with a RDS over the Acog. I would accept this time penalty and choose the Acog over a RDS becaue of the broader spectrum of capabilities. I am VERY used to RDS. What was intersting is the more I shot the ACOG the faster I was getting and closing up the gap a little bit. However, I did have 1 anomaly run where I was just blazing. It was with the Eo, I cracked off a run as accurate as the rest but just about 3 to 4 seconds faster than all the other runs. I dont really see much difference in operation between aimpoint vs eotech. My preferance is for the aimpoint by a good margin. Even though I ran it well, I just dont care for the big globby grainy ret of the Eo. The next time I go I am going to try and run the ACOG like an OEG site with a cap closed over the front and see if I can really cut down the margin between the RDS and an ACOG, my gut feeling says I can close to within less than half a second.

I run an Eotech and it fills my needs, but if your looking for something with a dot and variable power (1-4x) this doesnt look so bad, i dont know anyone who has one but its worth looking at.

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx

I ran an HWS, switched to an Aimpoint, but have the Millet DMS 1 as my backup (run it with the PEPR mount too). Pretty solid, clear glass... but it's a bit long compared to other variable power scopes, meaning it's a bit heavy (with mount, almost 2 lb). SHTF, I would probably throw it on my AR, or at least consider it strongly (pounds are pain unfortunately).