theRU

question on ranges

Do all ranges require a membership? Are there places where you can just go and pay to shoot each time? And are there any in central jersey? I seem to have only found private ranges in the local area of East Brunswick.

How often would you like to shoot?

Will you be shooting pistol, rifle, shotgun or all three?

How far are you willing to drive?

Do you have a preference forj outdoor or indoor?

In central Jersey it seems like a minimum 30+ mile drive to get to a range.

these are points that I considered before finally deciding to join the OBRPC... 10 minutes away from outdoor and indoor(24/7) facility means I get to go as often as my schedule permits. Expensive but well worth it :dance:

Well heres the story..i found a range im willing to be a member of but you can only shoot .22 out of rifles. The initiation and membership fee is just 150 each... and just over an hour away. I've found some other ranges that dont have restrictions but the initiations were over 300 and the membership another 350 which is just more than i'm looking to spend right now. So either I pay to shoot a rifle occasionally or I find another inexpensive range that i can shoot all three.

Thanks for all the info guys.

these are points that I considered before finally deciding to join the OBRPC... 10 minutes away from outdoor and indoor(24/7) facility means I get to go as often as my schedule permits. Expensive but well worth it :dance:

yea its too expensive for me right now..i've also heard that it gets extremely busy there. Is this true?

My buddy who lives in the southern portion of Edison (near EB/NB) has the same problem. I have a few more options as I'm a bit further south closer to Range 14.

Even then, I've run into the same problem. I am a member at BA, but did walk-on there prior, and at ShoreShot in the past. Range 14 is relatively cheap, even if you have to be a member. Even on a student budget, and a person who doesn't go to the range as often as they should, its light on the wallet and doesn't make me regret it because its supremely better shooting outdoors (given the weather is decent).

yea its too expensive for me right now..i've also heard that it gets extremely busy there. Is this true?

there are scheduled activities for different disciplines... both in the indoor and outdoor ranges and can be busy during those times. However, if you shoot outside these schedules it's pretty quiet.

there are scheduled activities for different disciplines... both in the indoor and outdoor ranges and can be busy during those times. However, if you shoot outside these schedules it's pretty quiet.

+1

I am in East Windsor... exit 8 on the pike.

I have a membership at Brick Armory to shoot indoors, and have a membership at Fort Dix for outdoor.

Absolutely worth it.

Also, for walk ons, Shore Shot has a great offer extended to NJGF members, for $10 walk on (IIRC), just mention that you are a forum member.

As far as OBRPC goes, its very steel match and event orientated at the outdoor range. Weekends are pretty tied up there. If you want to use the outdoor range,if possible weekdays are best.If your'e heavy into competition its the right place for you.If you're a casual shooter and just shoot for fun this might not be the place

If you're willing to drive 1 hr, I'd recommend EFGA near Easton PA. $40 a year and you get 4 ranges:

25yd pistol (shooting area covered, you can shoot any pistol caliber firearms here and .22 rifle)

15yd rimfire (shooting area covered)

tactical range(you can shoot shotguns with shotshells and also practice draw)

100yd rifle range(shooting area covered, you can also shoot shotguns with slugs here)

It's rarely crowded and I never had to wait for a port. A lot of times I'm the only one at the pistol range.

it's open all year and if you're willing to travel you can't beat the price. You can also pick up ammo at local Walmart for dirt cheap :p

Your more than welcome to come to BA or SS as my guest anytime you like. BA might be best since your mosin can come as well, and we wouldn't want to leave that out :D

Regulator,

I'm going to have to take you up on that offer. I just finished cleaning all the cosmo off the mosin, but i'm not sure what i should do to finish the stock. It seems as if there is some shellac on it (possibly worn off of other parts) so i dont know if i should reapply shellac or if tru oil can go over whats there if i use some steel wool on it. Any ideas???

Your more than welcome to come to BA or SS as my guest anytime you like. BA might be best since your mosin can come as well, and we wouldn't want to leave that out :D

Regulator,

I'm going to have to take you up on that offer. I just finished cleaning all the cosmo off the mosin, but i'm not sure what i should do to finish the stock. It seems as if there is some shellac on it (possibly worn off of other parts) so i dont know if i should reapply shellac or if tru oil can go over whats there if i use some steel wool on it. Any ideas???

Use 0000 steel wool with denatured alcohol will take that stuff off. Then use steel wool and rub BLO into the stock. Usually 2 to 3 coats, wait 24 hrs between coats. then 2 coats hand rubbed in. Rub with palm until it's warm. When all done you can apply wax if you want.

beware BLO is extremely flamable even the vapor. Do it outdoors if you can and all the paper towel or rag you use to wipe off excess should be left outside until they are completely dry.

As far as OBRPC goes, its very steel match and event orientated at the outdoor range. Weekends are pretty tied up there. If you want to use the outdoor range,if possible weekdays are best.If your'e heavy into competition its the right place for you.If you're a casual shooter and just shoot for fun this might not be the place

Are you an OBRPC member? Because I am, and beg to differ on this point.