Redfish62

What a great morning

Picked up my new Springfield Armory M1A Loaded, Walnut stock, carbon barrel and CZ 75 Compact .40 S&W Blue, 10 round. Starting talking to my FFL dealer about picking up a Mosin and he shows me his Finnish Mosin-Nagant M39. WOW was the first thing out of my mouth. This was the first time I had ever seen one in person and it was beautiful. Pictures dont justify the beauty of this firearm. There I was picking up my M1A that I've wanted for so long and the only thing I can think of is that Mosin, what the heck is wrong with me?

I'm basically a handgun guy, but I appreciate a nice rifle. What's the big deal about a Mosin?

I can't explain it. You have to go see it, hold it, stroke it, fondle it, slowly bring it up to your shoulder and look down the barrel. It becomes one with you as an extension of your body. Only kidding it just one bad MF!

Redfish, you scared me for a minute.....I thought you were talking about a woman!

I guess I'm going to have to watch Enemy at the Gate and check out a Mosin.

Just when I have my gun plans all settled, a new gun pops up that I might have to have!

Redfish, you scared me for a minute.....I thought you were talking about a woman!

Just when I have my gun plans all settled, a new gun pops up that I might have to have!

The Mosin Nagant is a rusty old piece of junk. It's like holding a two by four with a pipe wedged inside of it. They usually smell like crap from 5-6 decades of cosmoline, and are usually better off as a baseball bat than a target rifle.

That said, for $250 you walk out the door with a rifle and 440 rounds of ammo capable of killing anything that walks this continent. It's also nice to know that if you decided to use it as a crowbar, or a boat oar for a little while, it will probably still shoot just fine. It's also a great way to arm a family of five for under $600.

There's no reason not to own at least one of them IMO.

I will put my mosin PE sniper against any remchesterby at 200yds and see who does better. Those of you that have shot it know what I am talking about. People always blow it off as just a mosin until they see what it can do.

The Mosin Nagant is a rusty old piece of junk. It's like holding a two by four with a pipe wedged inside of it. They usually smell like crap from 5-6 decades of cosmoline, and are usually better off as a baseball bat than a target rifle.

That said, for $250 you walk out the door with a rifle and 440 rounds of ammo capable of killing anything that walks this continent. It's also nice to know that if you decided to use it as a crowbar, or a boat oar for a little while, it will probably still shoot just fine. It's also a great way to arm a family of five for under $600.

Trust me, the rifle can shoot far better than you can. =)

I would put up any mosin picked from a crate, in the competent hands of a good shooter, versus the top of the line 308, glass bedded, fully floated, in a modular AI stock, on a bench, with a 40x optic and an incompetent shooter.

:lol:

You do realize Russians about 40 years ago took a stock Mosin, made a few accurized modifications, and beat the Finns, Norwegians, and others in the winter Olympics?

Dont let the price fool you. The price is simply a factor of market demand and supply, with the later being ALOT.

I will put my mosin PE sniper against any remchesterby at 200yds and see who does better. Those of you that have shot it know what I am talking about. People always blow it off as just a mosin until they see what it can do.

Just curious, what type of ammo do you shoot through the PE sniper? I got some Yugo M30 182grn FMJ but they don't group as well I'd like for my PU sniper. I am gonna try Czech silver tips next.

thanks,

Daniel

Does this look anything like NJgunowner86 describe? I think not

21368x-1.JPG

Finnish M39

1%20Rsn%20Mosin%2091-30%20Round%20Lam%2015-608.jpg

Russian 91/30

That's a finnish M39. I think he was talking about the Russian Mosin. Although they can be beautiful when they're in good shape esp with a laminated stock 8-)

Does this look anything like NJgunowner86 describe? I think not

21368x-1.JPG

Red, once you start belting out rounds out of that M1A thoughts of that mosin will fade fast!

Yeah but the cost of 308 verses the 7.62x54R will make you remember that mosin more and more!

But the M1A is a great, great rifle.

Trust me, the rifle can shoot far better than you can. =)

I would put up any mosin picked from a crate, in the competent hands of a good shooter, versus the top of the line 308, glass bedded, fully floated, in a modular AI stock, on a bench, with a 40x optic and an incompetent shooter.

:lol:

You do realize Russians about 40 years ago took a stock Mosin, made a few accurized modifications, and beat the Finns, Norwegians, and others in the winter Olympics?

Dont let the price fool you. The price is simply a factor of market demand and supply, with the later being ALOT.

Yeah, you're right. A piece of crap 50+ year old rifle with a barrel crown worn to all hell, counter-bored, full of rust and pits, covered in cosmoline, straight out the crate at a gun show is an Olympic quality target rifle :lol: :roll:

Like I said, for blasting 100-200 yards your average gun show Mosin is just fine. I've seen some do some nice man sized groups around 400 yards or so. They're fun guns, but please, let's not pretend they are some wonderful magical rifle. Their appeal is their price and durability.

PS I do not even own any expensive bolt actions, they're a waste IMO.

"PS I do not even own any expensive bolt actions, they're a waste IMO."

I'll consider your statement the next time Im shooting at 1250 Yds :D

Hey, whatever floats his boat!

Wow Shane where can you shoot at 1250? No place in NJ is my guess. Wish we had something out to at least 600, but guess I'll have to wait until I move.

Jimmy

Wow Shane where can you shoot at 1250? No place in NJ is my guess. Wish we had something out to at least 600, but guess I'll have to wait until I move.

Jimmy

http://www.cumberlandriflemen.com/

Cumberland Riflemen

4030 E. Main Street, Millville, NJ 609-327-0345

Private Range

The Cumberland Riflemen is an equal opportunity club and does not discriminate on basis of race, color sex. religion, physical handicap, or nationality of country of origin. Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 yd), Outdoor Rifle (100,600 yds), Muzzleloading

Yeah, I'm just not into that kind of shooting (long range bolt), sorry.

Here you go,

50 year old, at LEAST, rifle, shooting at 1000 yards.

I have some nice Mosin's that came out of the cosmo, and cosmo is doing its job protecting the rifle.

t2M1hC4c0tc

Here you go, would love for you to tell that guy about his POS, counter bored, 100 year old rifle. :roll: The rifle is a little modified, but nothing that a weekend cant help.

Bolt actions kick ass. Whats the longest you have shot?

btw, not even the nicest AK can match a good Mosin in accuracy, never mind a remington 700, which is a sub moa rifle out of the box.

Yeah, I'm just not into that kind of shooting (long range bolt), sorry.

Here you go,

50 year old, at LEAST, rifle, shooting at 1000 yards.

I have some nice Mosin's that came out of the cosmo, and cosmo is doing its job protecting the rifle.

t2M1hC4c0tc

Here you go, would love for you to tell that guy about his POS, counter bored, 100 year old rifle. :roll: The rifle is a little modified, but nothing that a weekend cant help.

Bolt actions kick a**. Whats the longest you have shot?

btw, not even the nicest AK can match a good Mosin in accuracy, never mind a remington 700, which is a sub moa rifle out of the box.

Once again, looks like a former sniper rifle, hand picked, tuned and modified a bit. That's not the typical, gun show, piece of shit Mosin that the other 98% are. The scope mount and scope are worth more than the rifle itself. Probably well over double. I can't call his Mosin a piece of crap, because it isn't - but hey, don't worry, there's plenty of other Mosins out there to call pieces of crap. I call it a piece of crap in a loving way.

As for your revelation about the AK not being accurate....no shit, Sherlock. It never was, and never will be, a target rifle. Anyone who sinks money into the fabled "milled receivers" or "heavy barrels" and puts $600 glass on an AK is a fool that bought into advertising hype. Anyone who thinks the AK is a target rifle ought to go back and do a little history about where and why the design for the rifle came from.

Man sized group at 3-400 yards is all the AK was ever meant for. It was designed to take a beating, spit bullets, cost peanuts to build and maintain, and be able to be operated by a retard with 20 minutes of "training." I'm pretty sure indexing a front sight block in Romania involves throwing the rifle on the ground, and having a donkey stomp on it. Of course a 700 or a Mosin will be more accurate than an AK. Hey, why bother listing what guns are more accurate than an AK? Do yourself a favor, and just list what rifles aren't.

As far as singling out my shooting abilities? 300 yards, and I can use my rifles for what they were designed for at that range - a silhouette sized group. But do you really wanna measure range lengths, like it's a penis or something? This is NJ. You have people here who have never shot past 25 yards. Lots of them. So if you think you're cool or something cause you've shot regular rifle distances, go out in the real world and brag about that, where you will promptly be laughed at for doing so. How about you? How far do you shoot, and what kind of groups do you get with your Mosins?

I guess you never heard the old expression "To each, his own" ? I don't like bolt actions. Big whoop. I also don't like muzzle loaders, romantic comedies, xbox Live, shellfish, noisy neighbors, and red wine in the absence of food. Wanna flame me for all that too?

But hey, do what you want. If you'd like, we can pretend that all Mosins are magical 1,000 yard target rifles :roll:

NJ, I dont like Muzle loaders either(ive had one for 10 years, its still unfired lol)...but I dont think I would make the statement they are worthless. I can appreciate another mans venue even if I dont prefer it myself. I dont like benchrest either but...they can do some amazing things and those guns are purdy :D .

On the XBox live thing, play a little Call of Duty, you will be a convert :twisted: