PWKARCH

Gun Safe Dehumidification

I am trying to decide on a dehumidification method for my gun safe, which obviously contains most of my guns and all of my ammunition.

I think I can recall reading somewhere on this or some other forum that a 20 or 40 watt lightbulb mounted inside is plenty sufficient for dehumidification purposes, and it is certainly much less expensive than a dedicated dehumififying appliance.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, or comments? Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to decide on a dehumidification method for my gun safe, which obviously contains most of my guns and all of my ammunition.

I think I can recall reading somewhere on this or some other forum that a 20 or 40 watt lightbulb mounted inside is plenty sufficient for dehumidification purposes, and it is certainly much less expensive than a dedicated dehumififying appliance.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, or comments? Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes - but I doubt that you want a dissertation on psychrometrics. I would suggest a goldenrod type dehumidifier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=359695

Remington sells those small units for safes for about 25 bucks. It changes color to tell you it's time for a recharge. Just plug it in any electrical outlet, and it recharges. Good to go again.

+1

I also snatch up any dessicant bags that my wife brings home in her new shoe boxes to toss into any ammo boxes that I have. Just to be sure.

Remington sells those small units for safes for about 25 bucks. It changes color to tell you it's time for a recharge. Just plug it in any electrical outlet, and it recharges. Good to go again.

+1

I also snatch up any dessicant bags that my wife brings home in her new shoe boxes to toss into any ammo boxes that I have. Just to be sure.

+1 on that, my wife had a bag of those things for all her (millions of pairs of) shoes :lol:

I have a golden rod and a can of the Silica Gel that they sell in Cabela's. I have the can that does 57 cubic feet. The can works pretty good. I average about 30% humidity with this combination. It lasts about a month and a half before recharging. You recharge it by baking it in the oven for a few hours. Get the large can. You won't have to recharge as frequently as the smaller unit.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form23