Sign in to follow this  
chefhunter34

Why do we have so many overweight cops?

About whether LEO's should get paid time to keep in shape:

The difference between a LEO and a boiler-crawler is that there is no requirement for the latter to be in shape to keep his job. Whatever shape he is in, as long as he can squeeze in where he needs to be, he can perform his tasks. Contrastingly, if a PD requires officers to be in shape as part of their job description, then the maintenance of their physical fitness is something that can reasonably be expected to be compensatory.

How about strippers?

Hell no, them dudes are diesel! Now, local cops and Port Authority cops? I've seen some guys that make me think, "and how's he gonna catch anybody?"

I've asked a couple friends and they basically have the same answer..."they can't be faster than motorola!"

hehe, from my camaro days...

"You can outrun a Crown Vic, but you cannot outrun a Motorola."

About whether LEO's should get paid time to keep in shape:

The difference between a LEO and a boiler-crawler is that there is no requirement for the latter to be in shape to keep his job. Whatever shape he is in, as long as he can squeeze in where he needs to be, he can perform his tasks. Contrastingly, if a PD requires officers to be in shape as part of their job description, then the maintenance of their physical fitness is something that can reasonably be expected to be compensatory.

Most jobs have physical requirements built into their job description. And, employers generally don't compensate their employees to maintain or meet those requirements. I've both written and enforced requirements of job descriptions.

Yes, if someone doesn't make the requirements an accomodation MUST be made per ADA. Yes, a program can be set up to bring them up to snuff. But, it is not required that this be done at the employer's expense. I and the people of the state of NJ, through the governor, are restistant to pay for percs that occur in public service that do not exsist in the private sector.

A few years ago the NY Daily News tried to elicit outrage when the city opened a gym for the department of sanitation and giving the workers time to use it. It didn't work. Everyone I know read the story and realized that people that ride on the back of trucks only to jump off and haul garbage cans off all sizes into the hopper should be fit. In fact it is said that the gym costs far offset the costs of disability claims.

I would guess that that public in general would support some sort of compensation for police officers to get fit, be it time to excercise or rewards for echieving a fitness level without actually requiring it.

FWIW, when I was in the Army Reserves I wrote off my gym membership every year for 10 years.

Well you could not keep a job at Hooters if you became out of shape so why should a Police force be any different ?

Maybe they should hire Hooters girls , I wouldn't mind being searched by one of them.

Great Idea!! I can see it now........Do you have anything in your pants that is going to poke me? Hell yeah I do!!

To answer your topic question.

Many rookies get stuck with the shitty midnight shift, what places are open during 12 pm to 8 am? Burger King? Mcdonalds? Dunkin Donuts? WaWa? ... so when they have the veteran status to obtain a good shift, they are on the chubby side :)

A few years ago the NY Daily News tried to elicit outrage when the city opened a gym for the department of sanitation and giving the workers time to use it. It didn't work. Everyone I know read the story and realized that people that ride on the back of trucks only to jump off and haul garbage cans off all sizes into the hopper should be fit. In fact it is said that the gym costs far offset the costs of disability claims.

I would guess that if they are jumping on and off the truck and picking up large cans of trash - WTF do they need a gym for? When I worked at UPS (nights in college) I was more fit than ever in my life. Picking up packages and walking around for 4 hours straight every night will put nearly anyone in shape.

I would guess that if they are jumping on and off the truck and picking up large cans of trash - WTF do they need a gym for? When I worked at UPS (nights in college) I was more fit than ever in my life. Picking up packages and walking around for 4 hours straight every night will put nearly anyone in shape.

OMG this is soooo true. I use to work nights at UPS for 2 years. Put me in shape quicker then any work out schedule. Not to mention the garages had no AC so you would sweat about 10 pounds every shift during the summer.

To answer your topic question.

Many rookies get stuck with the shitty midnight shift, what places are open during 12 pm to 8 am? Burger King? Mcdonalds? Dunkin Donuts? WaWa? ... so when they have the veteran status to obtain a good shift, they are on the chubby side :)

Who says they have to eat out? Pack a healthy lunch. Millions of shift workers do it daily.

Most jobs have physical requirements built into their job description. And, employers generally don't compensate their employees to maintain or meet those requirements. I've both written and enforced requirements of job descriptions.

Yep. At my old job, you had to be able to lift 50 pounds, able to bend over repeatedly in cramped spaces, and be able to get in and out of a big truck at least 100 times a day. In the employee handbook, no ifs, ands, or buts.

As stated before, we are not allowed to defend ourselves in public, our only hope are the cops. I'd rather not end up in a coffin, or paralyzed in a wheelchair, because some fat ass cop didn't have the self restraint to cut out the KFC double downs for a little while and lose some damn weight.

As for the night shift thing? Tell them to think back to second grade and bring a brown bag to work. I worked graveyard shift for almost two years, and managed to stay in relatively decent shape. it's not hard to buy some sliced turkey and make a sandwich or two the night before.

OMG this is soooo true. I use to work nights at UPS for 2 years. Put me in shape quicker then any work out schedule. Not to mention the garages had no AC so you would sweat about 10 pounds every shift during the summer.

Yep, working the garage at night is easily the best cardio I've ever done.

As stated before, we are not allowed to defend ourselves in public, our only hope are the cops. I'd rather not end up in a coffin, or paralyzed in a wheelchair, because some fat a** cop didn't have the self restraint to cut out the KFC double downs for a little while and lose some damn weight.

Oh come on.. those things aren't even that good at all. I wouldn't trust the judgment of a cop who liked those.

As stated before, we are not allowed to defend ourselves in public, our only hope are the cops. I'd rather not end up in a coffin, or paralyzed in a wheelchair, because some fat a** cop didn't have the self restraint to cut out the KFC double downs for a little while and lose some damn weight.

Oh come on.. those things aren't even that good at all. I wouldn't trust the judgment of a cop who liked those.

Yeah, I'm just trying to think of something with a massive saturated fat content. Maybe I could just fall back on the old donut stereotype?