Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

NJ Gun Laws. Why so strict

2 Words: Authoritarian Politicians

Fixed that for you. Make no mistake, while gun control is supported and even funded at the ground level by typically liberal people who believe it's about protecting children and such, the politicians who vote this stuff in and write the bills, the big timers that do the real funding, know it's not about crime prevention but instead about subjugating citizens.

Also, another 2 words that are equally as responsible as the Authoritarian Politicians:

Apathetic Citizens

I mean when these bills come up isnt there anything we can do? Or could have done? Once something becomes law it's damn near impossible to reverse it.

Other states are so much more liberal with the guns and gun laws. We could be more like them if we wanted to cant we?

Seriously.. How did things get so bad?

I heard a saying once. The more laws a state has, the more corrupt the state. Makes sense in the case of NJ.

I mean when these bills come up isnt there anything we can do? Or could have done? Once something becomes law it's damn near impossible to reverse it.

Other states are so much more liberal with the guns and gun laws. We could be more like them if we wanted to cant we?

Seriously.. How did things get so bad?

I heard a saying once. The more laws a state has, the more corrupt the state. Makes sense in the case of NJ.

The laws made their way onto the books, one at a time. Each time the vice squeezed a little tighter, everyone simply sat back, shut up, and dealt with it. And every time the vice got a little tighter, and the authoritarians saw how easy it was, they did something else.

Other states have such liberal gun laws because their populations only allow it to be that way. When bills get proposed, they show up in droves at the state house, or write piles of letters. They make it very clear that they will not let politicians trample their rights.

And when laws do get through, they have large amounts of everyday people who work with organizations to get them struck down. AL just removed prohibitions on SBS/SBR. Michigan is looking at the abolition of pistol permits. Iowa just became "shall issue." Although the open carry battle in CA may be lost, people showed in droves to peacefully exercise their rights at gatherings all over the state. Arizona abolished the CCW permit system and went to constitutional carry. TN and NM worked to get guns allowed in restaurants. These are all gun rights victories sweeping the country in the last year alone.

But you don't see any in NJ. Not a single one. We're now so damn backwards our state is worried about people receiving historical surplus firearms from the CMP while the rest of the country is seeing a boom in gun ownership and gun rights unlike any other time. The established system won't allow it, and the people don't care enough to do anything about it. In fact, you will find many gun owners from NJ, who support quite a few gun control measures. A lot of them could care less if everything got banned, so long as their good ol' 870 gets grandfathered in. At this point, the game is so stacked against gun rights here, that it's hard to even bring new shooters in. Think about this for a second - if someone took an interest in guns one day, they could not even walk into a gun shop in NJ and check out a shotgun....you can't even TOUCH a gun in NJ on your own before paying all sorts of fees, references, letters to your employer, and fingerprints along with a multi-month wait. That's a really, really big deal whether you realize it or not.

That's awful, and so far, I cannot find any other state in the USA where a law abiding citizen cannot even walk into a gun shop and simply TOUCH a gun and ask a few questions. Here's another saying to chew on "all it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to stand by and do nothing"

Think about this for a second - if someone took an interest in guns one day, they could not even walk into a gun shop in NJ and check out a shotgun....you can't even TOUCH a gun in NJ on your own before paying all sorts of fees, references, letters to your employer, and fingerprints along with a multi-month wait.

Untrue. I know several that will let you handle any firearm in the shop without producing any documents. Also, I know nearly everyone in the shops and they all know me.

If you keep striking out, take the person to the range and let them shoot your guns.

Think about this for a second - if someone took an interest in guns one day, they could not even walk into a gun shop in NJ and check out a shotgun....you can't even TOUCH a gun in NJ on your own before paying all sorts of fees, references, letters to your employer, and fingerprints along with a multi-month wait.

Untrue. I know several that will let you handle any firearm in the shop without producing any documents. Also, I know nearly everyone in the shops and they all know me.

If you keep striking out, take the person to the range and let them shoot your guns.

If rather than speak out against draconian laws you'd rather brag that you're friends with the guys in the gun shop, and you consider it special doing what people in 80%+ of the country wouldn't even think twice about, then you are a shining example of why we're in the mess we're in.

I think we have an unprecedented opportunity to change the direction of gun legislation in our state. People are FED UP with the status quo. For the first time in my memory, Jerseyans are ready to stand up and fight against high property taxes and restrictive laws. We have a brief opportunity to get our rights back. Talk to your friends. Explain to them about the risks associated with the government being the only ones with the guns, about the right of every human to protect themselves and their families. We CAN change the gun laws in NJ, but it will take a LOT of effort. No one ELSE is going to do it. It is up to US!

Frank (as he steps off his soap box) :-)

I think we have an unprecedented opportunity to change the direction of gun legislation in our state. People are FED UP with the status quo. For the first time in my memory, Jerseyans are ready to stand up and fight against high property taxes and restrictive laws. We have a brief opportunity to get our rights back. Talk to your friends. Explain to them about the risks associated with the government being the only ones with the guns, about the right of every human to protect themselves and their families. We CAN change the gun laws in NJ, but it will take a LOT of effort. No one ELSE is going to do it. It is up to US!

Frank (as he steps off his soap box) :-)

I've noticed a lot more conservatives (or common sense leaning individuals) in NJ in the last year than I've ever noticed. When that bubble bursts and you're still paying out the ass in property taxes for corrupt school unions and failing abbott districts, it's enough to drive anyone to the right. As far as gun laws, I've noticed a lot of moderates don't care if guns are banned all together. They seem to think it will be safer if law abiding citizens don't have access to firearms. People in most parts of NJ don't raise their children the same way they do in the midwest and red states. Young boys in redder states are more familiar with firearms at a young age and learn respect for guns. Most of the liberals in this state have never fired a gun and would never in a million years consider buying one, so they don't care.

Ohnonotme,

Yes, your evaluation is correct. That is the way things HAVE been. I personally know of SEVERAL people (including myself), who I would NEVER have thought would purchase a gun, doing so. Things *ARE* changing, but it is up to us to strike while the iron is hot. HELL, even if I am wrong, it can't hurt to try.

I encourage everyone to contact their state representatives, and voice your opinion. It is easy to do. Just go to:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/

Identify your district on the map, and you can send a message to all your reps at once.

Frank

I hate when people talk about voters being "apathetic" here.... it's not entirely true.

Neither is it true that this is a Democrat or Republican issue (we have supporters of gun rights on both sides here in the state... not many, but they do exist).

Problem is: gun rights are not a state issue, and pale in comparison to property taxes, abbot districts, COAH, and so on... Guns are also still accessible to those who want them, albeit, a bit of a PITA, but we're not a Chicago, Massachusets, or California.

Ideally, if we can elect those with common sense to cut spending, lower property taxes, fight the unions, overturn COAH, then the gun rights will naturally follow. Until then, we're s.o.l.

lol... I think this is a loaded thread.

Not at all. I am new to the forum and used to shoot/hunt when I was a teenager. Now I am 30 and am about to get back into it.

What annoys me is that I have to sit around and wait, wait, wait to get going at this. I wanna get a handgun to go to a range? Oh that could take 90 days on average looking at the posts on here. At this rate the money I have set aside for a gun will be used on something else.

After reading a lot on this forum and looking into the laws I find it amazing that we here in NJ have to jump thru so many hoops to get permits and have to deal with so many laws it will make your head spin. Just wonderign what happened to make it this bad.

You're singing to the choir.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8443

Once you get that call that your FID is in, you'll have a grin ear to ear. Meanwhile, you can still go to a range and rent pistols. Shoreshot has a nice collection of pistols down there... get a feel for what fits you the best. Maybe show up at one of the meets at bullethole and see if some of the member will let you shoot their pieces?

You're singing to the choir.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8443

Once you get that call that your FID is in, you'll have a grin ear to ear. Meanwhile, you can still go to a range and rent pistols. Shoreshot has a nice collection of pistols down there... get a feel for what fits you the best. Maybe show up at one of the meets at bullethole and see if some of the member will let you shoot their pieces?

Been to shoreshot and rented three times in the past few months. Actually saw my cousin there who I haven't seen in a few years (very random). He belongs to shoreshot and Central Jersey.

It's just all these laws and bullshit in this state get me fired up. Thankfully I am single with no kids so I am workin on a plan to get the hell out of here in the next few years

If rather than speak out against draconian laws you'd rather brag that you're friends with the guys in the gun shop, and you consider it special doing what people in 80%+ of the country wouldn't even think twice about, then you are a shining example of why we're in the mess we're in.

You missed my point. I'm not "friends"with anyone in gun shops. I frequent the shops often to say hello to the employees, met other firearm owners and discuss ways of changing the political climate.

Your view of someone that has garnered trust and respect is considered bragging? Don't project your lack of involvement onto me. Do more and you'll surround yourself with others that are moving our cause forward and you'll feel better about yourself. Start with voting today.

Seriously. Any paticular reasons?

Political expediency. The political hacks know there is nothing to be done about Camden, Newark, Trenton and the other "garden spots" in this state so they cook up draconian measures that affect only the law abiding. They can then crow that they are doing something to make the sheeple safe. We all know it's crap but the average hoplophobic Jersey libtard will buy into it big time and, since said libtard owns no guns, it's no skin off his nose.

Seriously. Any paticular reasons?

Political expediency. The political hacks know there is nothing to be done about Camden, Newark, Trenton and the other "garden spots" in this state so they cook up draconian measures that affect only the law abiding. They can then crow that they are doing something to make the sheeple safe. We all know it's crap but the average hoplophobic Jersey libtard will buy into it big time and, since said libtard owns no guns, it's no skin off his nose.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Nicky Santoro for Governor! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Guns are also still accessible to those who want them, albeit, a bit of a PITA, but we're not a Chicago, Massachusets, or California.

Ideally, if we can elect those with common sense to cut spending, lower property taxes, fight the unions, overturn COAH, then the gun rights will naturally follow. Until then, we're s.o.l.

Unfortunately, the people that would stand up to the machine and elect people that follow common sense have been leaving the state and going to PA or DE. Maybe now that Christie is starting to shake things up, more of those people will stick around and drag this state out of the dumpster.

Kinda OT, but MA is actually better with gun laws that NJ IMHO. I used to live there so I have a bit of experience. The licensing system is a bit different and there are more restrictions to what handguns can be sold there. An FID card can only get you low capacity rifles and shotguns so its pretty much useless. One really needs a LTC which lets you carried concealed, as well as buy high capacity rifles and handguns. A LTC is usually easy to get unless you live in a few certain towns. Once, you have that tho you can buy as many guns as you want. Magazines are restricted to 10rd unless you get one that was made prior to '94.