Sign in to follow this  
Ohnonotme

Out of State Purchase

Apologize, I'm a new member and understand this may have been discussed but cannot find the topic.

Anyway, while I was in the military I legally purchased a handgun in the free land of Arizona. Because they don't require law abiding taxpayers to jump through hoops and obtain permits or registrations, I have no "paperwork" regarding my legal purchase. (FYI, I did not have an Arizona DL but an Active Duty Military ID was sufficient).

Anyway, do I have to get a weapon's ID to keep my handgun and FMJ rounds in NJ?

Make sure its NJ legal. Otherwise, you'll need to get a FID to purchase handgun ammo (and, seemingly, any ammo these days).

Off topic, you didn't happen to be at Huachuca?

It's a Ruger .45, would that be illegal?

Can I keep the ammo I have?

I was at Davis-Monthan in Tucson. Never went down to that methlab in the desert known as Sierra Vista where Huachuca is but met a lot of soldiers who came up to Tucson for the "night life."

Were you Army Intel?

there was something about active duty being able to purchase out of state, however I do not recall any specifics.

Obviously, get FID for NJ, and make sure you have the original purchase details, bill of sale, etc.

there was something about active duty being able to purchase out of state, however I do not recall any specifics.

Obviously, get FID for NJ, and make sure you have the original purchase details, bill of sale, etc.

I'm not AD anymore, but yes I did buy it while I was. Bill of sale? That may be hard to dig up after multiple moves. I want to get FID for NJ but need to clear up an issue (see meds as a teen thread). I'm looking into talking with a lawyer.

I should be slapped for not staying in AZ.

"NJ legal" just means it can't be on the named banned list, and the capacity of magazines can be no more than 15 rounds. As for the rounds, should be fine. As others said, get a FID regardless...

And yea, I was at Huachuca for a little while, mostly for training. Sierra Vista was pretty interesting when I was there last (that was awhile ago now)... good to hear that not much has changed ( ;) ). I still remember the moment of arriving at Huachuca/Sierra Vista for the first time. It was at night, and all I saw was this patch of lights in the darkness. With the terrain and whatnot, reminds me now of FOBs in Afghanistan with how remote it all was, ha.

I'm not AD anymore, but yes I did buy it while I was. Bill of sale? That may be hard to dig up after multiple moves. I want to get FID for NJ but need to clear up an issue (see meds as a teen thread). I'm looking into talking with a lawyer.

You were perfectly legal to purchase while active duty. In NJ there is no pre-ban/post-ban on mag capacity or banned firearms, there's just banned. The Ruger P345 and P90 are both legal as far as I know, so you're good to go.

I bought guns while I lived in Ohio and I have zero paperwork for them so don't sweat it not having a bill of sale. I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be helpful to have but it's not necessary.

Buy your ammo online if you need to. I lived in NJ for 12 years before I got my purchaser ID. It's certainly a something you should get but it's not a requirement to have a gun in your home or to take it to the range.

You were perfectly legal to purchase while active duty. In NJ there is no pre-ban/post-ban on mag capacity or banned firearms, there's just banned. The Ruger P345 and P90 are both legal as far as I know, so you're good to go.

I bought guns while I lived in Ohio and I have zero paperwork for them so don't sweat it not having a bill of sale. I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be helpful to have but it's not necessary.

Buy your ammo online if you need to. I lived in NJ for 12 years before I got my purchaser ID. It's certainly a something you should get but it's not a requirement to have a gun in your home or to take it to the range.

Thanks, everyone has been really helpful. I read through the statutes and couldn't find anything regarding my situation. While I don't agree with the laws, I always acknowledge them and do my best to abide by them.

Thanks, everyone has been really helpful. I read through the statutes and couldn't find anything regarding my situation. While I don't agree with the laws, I always acknowledge them and do my best to abide by them.

Of course you do. This is why NJ firearms laws are so draconian. Those that will violate the laws will not think twice about violating them or the consequences. Only otherwise law abiding citizens concern themselves with following the law.

You do not need to register firearms that you purchased as a resident of another state when moving into NJ. With regard to handguns, leave any magazines in excess of 15 rounds behind and don't bring them to NJ. Also, I suggest leaving behind any hollow points, even though there are allowances to own them in NJ.

Use some common sense and err on the side of caution--transport your gun(s) unloaded, cased, and either locked or in a locked trunk of the car. Once you get settled, apply for a NJ Firearms ID for good measure (many police are under the mistaken belief that the FID is required just to possess at home).

Attorney Evan Nappen published a book about NJ's gun laws, which is a great guide to understanding when you're legal, and when you're not.

http://www.evannappen.com/

Also, I suggest leaving behind any hollow points, even though there are allowances to own them in NJ.

That's your opinion only. Most bulk 22's are hollowpoints.

Hollowpoints are legal to own and shoot in NJ. They are NOT legal for illegal purposes or for (the very mythical) carry.

You do not need to register firearms that you purchased as a resident of another state when moving into NJ. With regard to handguns, leave any magazines in excess of 15 rounds behind and don't bring them to NJ. Also, I suggest leaving behind any hollow points, even though there are allowances to own them in NJ.

Use some common sense and err on the side of caution--transport your gun(s) unloaded, cased, and either locked or in a locked trunk of the car. Once you get settled, apply for a NJ Firearms ID for good measure (many police are under the mistaken belief that the FID is required just to possess at home).

Attorney Evan Nappen published a book about NJ's gun laws, which is a great guide to understanding when you're legal, and when you're not.

http://www.evannappen.com/

Thanks. I dumped my hollow point hydra shocks already (gave them to a friend in Arizona who may need them more than me). That's my worry that if I'm ever in a situation where it's found that there's a handgun at my dwelling, some cop may deem that illegal even if it's not and I can't provide a bill of sale. I guess I should look for that in the meantime as I prepare my application.

Also, I suggest leaving behind any hollow points, even though there are allowances to own them in NJ.

Hollowpoints are legal to own and shoot in NJ. They are NOT legal for illegal purposes or for (the very mythical) carry.

It is not my opinion that there are allowances to own them. I did not say they were illegal; there are restrictions on them that an unsuspecting gun owner moving here may not want to deal with, particularly during an unplanned police encounter.

Possession of them is limited to the home and the range. Like you said, they can't be used for the few who have carry permits (unless they have a hollowpoint endorsement). They also can't be used for self defense--that is not my opinion either; I heard that straight from Evan Nappen. If you disagree, then take it up with him directly.

It is not my opinion that there are allowances to own them. I did not say they were illegal; there are restrictions on them that an unsuspecting gun owner moving here may not want to deal with, particularly during an unplanned police encounter.

Possession of them is limited to the home and the range. Like you said, they can't be used for the few who have carry permits (unless they have a hollowpoint endorsement). They also can't be used for self defense--that is not my opinion either; I heard that straight from Evan Nappen. If you disagree, then take it up with him directly.

There is NO such endorsement. If you are not active NJ/Fed LE you can't carry hollowpoints.

They also can't be used for self defense--that is not my opinion either; I heard that straight from Evan Nappen. If you disagree, then take it up with him directly.

before you just say something like that.. regarding the law.. you should really be prepared to back it up.. in what instance of NJ gun law does it state that they can NOT be used for self defense..

no offense.. but you are IMO spreading false information..

They also can't be used for self defense--that is not my opinion either; I heard that straight from Evan Nappen. If you disagree, then take it up with him directly.

before you just say something like that.. regarding the law.. you should really be prepared to back it up.. in what instance of NJ gun law does it state that they can NOT be used for self defense..

Just because it was uttered from the mouth of Nappen does not mean it is "the law". Further, I would LOVE to see case histories where individuals used HP ammo for self defense and were then prosecuted for such.

Just because it was uttered from the mouth of Nappen does not mean it is "the law". Further, I would LOVE to see case histories where individuals used HP ammo for self defense and were then prosecuted for such.

Rut roh...now you guys have done it... Questioning "Saint Nappen"...... Evan is a Nicwe Guy and all..but anyone who thinke he really WANTS to see the laws change is as foolis as the ones who dont think the High-end NFA collectors want NO part of seeing 922(o) repealed. Nappen's entire livelihood is based on restrictive Gun laws...every tiem they pass a new one he's dancing a jig behind his desk...while ranting about how unfair it is.

Rut roh...now you guys have done it... Questioning "Saint Nappen"...... Evan is a Nicwe Guy and all..but anyone who thinke he really WANTS to see the laws change is as foolis as the ones who dont think the High-end NFA collectors want NO part of seeing 922(o) repealed. Nappen's entire livelihood is based on restrictive Gun laws...every tiem they pass a new one he's dancing a jig behind his desk...while ranting about how unfair it is.

Well said!