Bob B

Do you agree with this advice?

Today on MSN.com there was a What Should You Do If? article.

One of the questions was "What should you do if you are being robbed?" and there was a link to the Louisville, Kentucky Metro Police Robbery Unit web site:

What do you think about the first three?

http://lmpdasap.com/reductiontips.html

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BEING ROBBED:

Today on MSN.com there was a What Should You Do If? article.

One of the questions was "What should you do if you are being robbed?" and there was a link to the Louisville, Kentucky Metro Police Robbery Unit web site:

What do you think about the first three?

http://lmpdasap.com/reductiontips.html

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BEING ROBBED:

the true answer IMO is SO complex that it is nothing you can give a short answer to as EVERY unique situation will require a TOTALLY different response.. every action the robber makes may indicate different things..

the whole be quiet and cooperate might have been great advice back in the early 1900s.... but as pointed out.. with all the drug abuse... and desperate criminals... there is NO telling what would really happen..

very close to my home yesterday.. in a VERY safe area.. a gas station attendant was robbed in broad daylight.. it is my opinion that we are reaching stressful times.. and as people become more desperate the actions they are capable of become more extreme..

scary stuff..

Strong Armed Robbery?

Fuckem and fight for your life.

Armed Robbery?

Of course, my answer would be unique.

i think you only hit the TIP of the iceberg..

are you inside.. outside? others around? what are your surroundings.. as you pointed out.. do they have a weapon? do YOU have a weapon? are you with others.. are THEY with others?

there are SO many factors.. one would be my girlfriend.. in an instance where someone tried to rob me.. I think it safe to assume that my actions with OR without her would be TOTALLY different..

so like i said.. TONS of variable..

If hes armed and I am not, And it appears he just wants the money. Then he can have it. If It appears hes going to hurt me then of course I would fight back. Its hard to say what would happen. Nothing ever goes according to plan.

What is interesting to me is that the first three items listed on the police website look like they have been written by the Attorneys for the Town/City.

If the criminal were reading the first three items, what would he not want to see?

Fixed that for you. Simple fact is that if a PD actively encouraged people to resist robberies, especially here in the PRNJ, they would be sued out of existance the first time a victim was injured.

Well that was written for a store front so unlike your home, you may not have firearms, your personal property is not at stake and you would not have to worry about your family as they are not there. Like Damagedworld said, it is impossible to have a "one size fits all" solution.

Defend your self as needed, and if you have to fight, only one person should be breathing when the police show up. Self defense is just that, dead man tells nothing. I have said this before, I have looked down the barrel of a drug addict with a gun and one old man with a shot gun who did not like paramedics in uniform, I backed away from the old man, but the drug addict, was disarmed and thrown down the stairs where the police came in and "took care" of her. I will fight for my life.

The world has changed a lot and BG's are resulting to more radical and senseless means in their invasions. There is less respect for life. You have crack heads that need drugs and financially stressed thugs that will go to extreme needs to get what they want.

That being said, if you're in your house, you have every right to protect yourself and your family. Don't assume you can reason with someone that may be at the end of their line. You have no idea what the robbers situation or needs are. If you assume wrong, you may be found with a slit neck or shot to the back of the head.

If he's armed and you're not, you'll have to use your wit and best judgement to get out of it alive.

If he's armed and you're armed - I don't think I need to say more. I would take the first shot I could get off.

If he's not armed and you are, - demand him to leave or you'll fire. If any advances are made towards you - pull trigger. The last thing you want is your gun being used on you.

You cannot reason with an unreasnonable person. Even in NJ, if I feel my life is threatened, I have the right to protect myself in my home. It gets sticky if your're armed and they're not but you can't take chances in these times. Use your best judgement and do what's necessary to protect yourself and your family.