"Good" neighborhood in Brick.

AC guys left the garage door open yesterday while they were working & someone came in and cleaned off the top of the dresser. They were in & out in a minute but got 15 things, mostly irreplaceable. Guys were in the back, working. Someone saw the lady of the house drive away and decided on taking a risk. Bold move to go in a house with guys working in the back. I bet it was the 14-16 year old kids that live within eyesight of the house. They're lucky we did not catch them in the house, we both come & go at various times during the day.

No guns taken. Keeping one unlocked in the bedside table is a BAD idea and this proves it.

Keep your doors locked.

Safe lock all valuables.

WTF is this world coming to?

"Good" neighborhood in Brick.

AC guys left the garage door open yesterday while they were working & someone came in and cleaned off the top of the dresser. They were in & out in a minute but got 15 things, mostly irreplaceable. Guys were in the back, working. Someone saw the lady of the house drive away and decided on taking a risk. Bold move to go in a house with guys working in the back. I bet it was the 14-16 year old kids that live within eyesight of the house. They're lucky we did not catch them in the house, we both come & go at various times during the day.

No guns taken. Keeping one unlocked in the bedside table is a BAD idea and this proves it.

Keep your doors locked.

Safe lock all valuables.

WTF is this world coming to?

I say time and time again that RESPONSIBLE gun ownership means locking up EVERY firearm EVERY time you are not there to maintain control.. hell even the AC guys could take it.. people are FAR too trusting.. we live in a shitty world.. I don't even let people do work in or around my home unless I will be home the ENTIRE time.. the LUCKY ones were you.. I mean it DOES suck that you lost some stuff.. but at least one more gun didnt find its way onto the streets..

make a police report? I know it may seem useless, but it IS worth it on the off chance the scumbags are stopped somewhere else doing something bad, and they find even ONE of your belongings.. good luck with it...

My house was robbed a couple years ago, on a Friday afternoon. I always left my doors unlocked, as I have 2 older kids that are in and out all the time. Neighbors actually saw the car in my driveway, but just figured it was my kids friends. These little crackhead bastards have a lot of balls. I'm sure it was probably someone who had been in my house before and knew our deal, and knew my dogs wouldn't hurt them. My guns were locked away. They got a lot of my electronics.

We talked to all the neighbors and didn't see any kids. I think it was the AC people myself. I reached out to the owner and made a strong no-questions asked offer. But if these mutts think I am going to pay a f**king dime to get my own stuff back, they are in for a surprise.

What kind of "offer" would you have made to the AC company owner? Personally I would go after the company to have them pay for the loss. They were the the ones that left the door open, and if you can prove it , you have them dead to rights. Did you file a police report? Did the police question the workers that were in the house? This is one of those issues that require dotting the I's and crossing the T's, as it is not a typical break in due to workers being in the house.

What kind of "offer" would you have made to the AC company owner? Personally I would go after the company to have them pay for the loss. They were the the ones that left the door open, and if you can prove it , you have them dead to rights. Did you file a police report? Did the police question the workers that were in the house? This is one of those issues that require dotting the I's and crossing the T's, as it is not a typical break in due to workers being in the house.

Before legal action I would contact the boss of the AC company. He will most likely pay rather than have to go to court, and have his guys work it off, if the guy is self employed.

I am all over the owner of the company. He admits his liability. I spent the weekend screaming at him on the phone, that was less fun than you would think. Wife is heartbroken. We know this happens every day but it sure got personal with us. The police are showing a little more interest but I am not optimistic.

New policies at my house on security.

Man... I've been a lot more careful with my place lately too. Took forgetting to close the garage door one day, nothing stolen. Scared the crap outta me. Luckily none of your guns are missing... if one of them were used in a crime that would be a nightmare!!!

2 years ago i walked away from my desk at work for a minute while some furniture guys were moving a new table into the office behind me, snagged my ipod off my desk on the way out. I couldn't believe how bold that was considering they must have known I would know who did it. Needless to say I never got it back...

If you decide to get an alarm system, may I suggest that you have the alarm company put a room or a closet as a separate zone that can be armed independently of the main alarm. That way, the house can be open, with that one room armed. You can keep your items and valuables in that room while others are working in your house. If the door to that room is opened, the alarm will sound and you will receive a call from the monitoring company.

If you normally have your important stuff in your bedroom, it would make sense to do it with that room. That way you don't have to move anything, just set the alarm for zone 2 and go about your life with peace of mind. If someone opens the door, they've got some explaining to do.

One of the flaws of a single zone alarm system is that it will not stop this kind of theft where you have to turn your alarm off for access reasons -- hence, my suggestion.