DevsAdvocate

She's BACK! My 1911 has returned to the flock!

So... after some long consternation (LINK), I sent my Kimber 1911 off to the manufacturer for some repair work. Told them the thing needed work and that I was dissatisfied with the performance of the external extractor. Now, after 6 weeks of work, I have her back, and I won't lie, I missed her so.

To start... BEFORE:

Das%20guns%20007.JPG

AFTER:

Summer%20stuff%20008.JPG

Summer%20stuff%20009.JPG

Summer%20stuff%20016.JPG

Kimber did a good job replacing the slide, polishing the barrel and other components and cleaning the whole shibang up!

Now I just need some free time to shoot the damned thing. :twisted:

If I remember correctly this was a series I gun with internal extractor problems. How much did they charge you?

It was the series with an external extractor that was the issue. Kimber went from internal to external (failed) and went back to internal.

As for the cost: free of charge. Shipping left me out like $40.

Call me a traditionalist, but a 1911 just looks much better with an internal extractor.

I agree

Internal vs external PALES in comparison to no rail vs rail.

IMO to be a true 1911, no rail...

The rail provides for options and versatility, a quaint update on an tested design. :mrgreen:

looks great.

slightly hijacking the post, what does are the disadvantages and advantages of each type of extractor. i think the sig does an external extractor on their 1911 as well

Kimber external extractors suck. S&W and Sig ones are good to go.

Long story is (from my understanding of it all): a lot of companies moved to external extractors believing them to be a superior design in terms of both performance and ease-of-manufacture. Internal extractors require precise tensioning to operate properly, whereas external ones do not, and are therefor easier to manufacture.

External extractors are a superior design when used from the ground up (GLOCK), but when shoehorned into other platforms (1911), they tend to have difficulties. Sig and S&W invested a lot in their design, and typically have good QC to back it up. Kimber... they used to be great, but then tried to cut corners with an external extractor.