NJJim

Why? Mosin Nagants and their relatives.

OK! I can't hold it in any more.

WHY!?!?? Why do "you guys" buy junk that the Russians et al have tossed on the scrap pile? :facepalm: They look like crap. Have little or no monetary value. Obviously aren't rare collectibles. Do they shoot well? Super accurate? Huh? :)

I've been told because they're cheap and ammo's cheap. If all you want to do is make bang bang, buy firecrackers that would be even cheaper.

Just had to ask. :)

Jim, I know you will read this and probably think I'm like pissed or something. I'm not, I don't care, so go easy :lol::lol: I should probably write one of these disclaimers every time I quote-reply to posts :lol::lol:

WHY!?!?? Why do "you guys" buy junk that the Russians et al have tossed on the scrap pile?

$150 gun

$0.20 bullets

3ft fireballs

Massive noise

It can hit a body at 200 yards.

Cleans up with windex

Lol...What's NOT to love? I would not call these rifles "junk"... they are extremely durable and have obviously stood the test of time. Just because a more modern war rifle was designed I would not immediately call something junk. That's like saying a K98, K31, 1903, and Lee-Enfields are all junk because semi automatic rifles were invented.

:facepalm: They look like crap.

Maybe that beat up rusted out Mosin you saw sitting in a rusty old bucket at a gun show was?? I really like how mine looks!

Have little or no monetary value.

They are worth $100-300 bucks. I'd like to see you go outside right now and burn $300... no? ok then.

Obviously aren't rare collectibles.

How many Ford Mustangs were made? Those are not rare collectibles and people LOVE them! They even turn like crap, are loud and obnoxious, and only go straight really fast. Hell the brakes even suck on them! HAHA!

Do they shoot well? Super accurate? Huh? :)

Accurate enough... who cares tho? Want accurate get a modern rifle with a scope. This was a mass produced war rifle meant to hit bodies, not 1" squares.

I've been told because they're cheap and ammo's cheap. If all you want to do is make bang bang, buy firecrackers that would be even cheaper.

Yes, Yes.... No!! Instead of shooting your $1500 .44 Mag revolver...ehh... just go buy some M2000 wussycrackers. Same thing right?

You ever shoot one? :| :|

I love them because they are cheap and highly accurate. And for someone that is collecting, the distributors have so many of them they don't even pick out the rare ones. Last year I picked up a 1943 Finnish 91/30 made by Tikka. That is a very desirable gun because Tikka only made 750 in 1943 with a round receiver. I paid a whole $125 for it and have been offered many times well over $1,000.

I love doing a little tweaking to a regular mosin, going to the range and outshooting a guy with a new "Remchesterby," all with a rifle that I paid $90 for. It has happened on several occasions. If you get a good one, they are often capable of 1 MOA or less in the hands of a competent shooter. Any body that has shot mine, know what I am talking about.

And for the price, you get a high powered rifle for the same amount of a higher end BB gun........

I'm with you, Jim. I just don't get it either. I can appreciate the work some of the guys on here (Eric, Sirsloop) are putting into them, but I still don't get it. I was at Cherry Ridge on Wed and ran into a guy with a 1903 and a 1917. THOSE I get. To each their own tho... I know most people see my ARs and think I'm nuts.. so it works both ways I guess :D

So how is a 1917 and a 1903 an different than a MN? They have a peep sight? I have peep sights on the Mosin now...big deal. We'll see how good the MN is tomorrow at 200 yards. I bet once I sight it in i'll be on the steel pretty consistently with it. The sights on the MN, IMHO, are its biggest shortcoming.

You could say the same thing about a Sherman Tank and a Panzer. One was mass produced and crude, one was a finely tuned machine and not mass produced. Look what won. Russian has TONS AND TONS of people, so they made the rifles in haste and threw people at the problem. Switzerland does not have tons of people to throw at a problem, less people to arm, a general mentality towards precision so you see what kinda rifle they made.

I think its mostly the shellac that they put on them. Yes mine looked like hammered shit with the old shellac. It strips off very easy and you can put on something that looks half way decent. I personally think mine came out awesome... and you could easily do it to any mosin inside a week fartin around 30 minutes a couple times a day.

So how is a 1917 and a 1903 an different than a MN? They have a peep sight? I have peep sights on the Mosin now...big deal.

No, they are a part of USA history. Just like I don't understand people that have to see Europe but have not seen their own state or the US.

All I can say is I felt the same way.."what's the big deal?" I said. Until I fired one at the BH one night. After that, I had that "I gotta get me one of these!" feeling. :twisted:

To each his own I guess. As one would say "Whatever floats your boat..."

I was not looking for an argument. Just asking why.

I want everyone to know I have nothing against the "old junk" or collectors. I just wanted to know WHY others are enamored with it.

Old mustangs, old mosins, old anything that does not work as well as modern counterparts don't compute for me.

If the thing was rare or had some other significant reason for being, I could see it. I understand Mosins do have historical significance but, just like black powder guns and muzzle loaders, ?????????? Why use primitive tools?

Reminds me of people collecting state quarters. Why? Every time you get 25 or more cents change you get one.

Different strokes for different folks is OK.

Just askin'.

lol... REMINGTON made Mosin Nagants :lol::lol::lol:

I wonder how many Americans have been killed by MN's, or how may were saved because of the MN? Its vast numbers armed Russia's army allowing us to succeed in wearing out the commies...

I own an older mustang... its clunky, its not a super car, but its fast, loud, and simple. You don't need to spend a fortune to have fun... and I can appreciate simplicity.

...If the thing was rare or had some other significant reason for being, I could see it. I understand Mosins do have historical significance but, just like black powder guns and muzzle loaders, ?????????? Why use primitive tools?....

Mosins arent primative. Thats like calling a remington 700 or a M40 or winchester model 70 etc etc primative. Simply bed the action and it would kick the crap out of an AR-15 at 800 meters :lol:

Plus, the mosin wont jam like an AR would.

Jim, I know you will read this and probably think I'm like pissed or something. I'm not, I don't care, so go easy :lol::lol: I should probably write one of these disclaimers every time I quote-reply to posts :lol::lol:

Not trying to pick on anyone!

WHY!?!?? Why do "you guys" buy junk that the Russians et al have tossed on the scrap pile?

$150 gun

$0.20 bullets

3ft fireballs

Massive noise

It can hit a body at 200 yards.

Cleans up with windex

Lol...What's NOT to love? I would not call these rifles "junk"... they are extremely durable and have obviously stood the test of time. Just because a more modern war rifle was designed I would not immediately call something junk. That's like saying a K98, K31, 1903, and Lee-Enfields are all junk because semi automatic rifles were invented.

:facepalm: They look like crap.

Maybe that beat up rusted out Mosin you saw sitting in a rusty old bucket at a gun show was?? I really like how mine looks!

Have little or no monetary value.

They are worth $100-300 bucks. I'd like to see you go outside right now and burn $300... no? ok then.

I would equate burning $300.00 cash with buying a Mosin. You're right. I wouldn't do it.

Obviously aren't rare collectibles.

How many Ford Mustangs were made? Those are not rare collectibles and people LOVE them! They even turn like crap, are loud and obnoxious, and only go straight really fast. Hell the brakes even suck on them! HAHA!

Right you are. Again I ask, "WHY?".

Do they shoot well? Super accurate? Huh? :)

Accurate enough... who cares tho? Want accurate get a modern rifle with a scope. This was a mass produced war rifle meant to hit bodies, not 1" squares.

If it ain't accurate it is junk. Buy a $200.00 10/22 Ruger (not particularly accurate) spend 5-7 hundred on it to make it accurate. ?????????OOPS there I go again. Now it's the Ruger fans turn. :facepalm::D:lol:

Yes, Yes.... No!! Instead of shooting your $1500 .44 Mag revolver...ehh... just go buy some M2000 wussycrackers. Same thing right?

Don't have a 44 mag. Don't want one. I don't shoot to make noise. I enjoy the challenge of hitting my target. I'd be happy if they didn't make any noise.

You ever shoot one? :| :|

Nope

Sorry, but I just don't get it and don't think I ever will.

I'm getting out of here now!

If anybody is looking for me I'll be at the range for the rest of the day shooting my new CZ 453 American. If it shoots the way people say, I'll keep it.

If anybody is looking for me I'll be at the range for the rest of the day shooting my new CZ 453 American. If it shoots the way people say, I'll keep it.

I challenge you to a 800 meter outdoor match. My $80 mosin vs your .22 which cost alot more. You can even use a scope :lol:

...If the thing was rare or had some other significant reason for being, I could see it. I understand Mosins do have historical significance but, just like black powder guns and muzzle loaders, ?????????? Why use primitive tools?....

Mosins arent primative. Thats like calling a remington 700 or a M40 or winchester model 70 etc etc primative. Simply bed the action and it would kick the crap out of an AR-15 at 800 meters :lol:

Plus, the mosin wont jam like an AR would.

Today's battles are not at 800 meters. At 800 meters I would choose a modern rifle designed for that range. Obviously the AR was not meant to be used at that range either. In battle, would you rather have an AR or a Mosin Nagant.

I will say again. Not here to debate just asked reasons to buy one of "those" guns.