Sign in to follow this  
deni

Question about mag capacity...

Is it legal to permanently modify a magazine so it complies with nj law?

because there are quite a few 9mm handguns i'm looking at that have magazines greater than 15+ capacity...

most have the option to come with 10 round mags but that really neuters the firepower...

only reason i ask is because i've seen some assault rifle mags and even those barrel can things which are welded to only hold 15

if it is legal, how would one go about doing it.

You can't legally take possession of a hi-cap magazine, even if you intend to neuter it. The work needs to be done before you take possession, by an authorized shop. Or, take possession out of state, do the work in America, and bring it in as a legal capacity.

great, so it is possible....

i was told at nj firearms guild that it had to be factory made 15 round as opposed to aftermarket permanent reduction...

does anyone know any shops that do this kind of job and how much something like this costs?

i was told at nj firearms guild that it had to be factory made 15 round as opposed to aftermarket permanent reduction...

does anyone know any shops that do this kind of job and how much something like this costs?

It has fit the criteria of "permanently modified to accept 15"

What firearms are you looking for? Alot will already have 15 round mags.

XDm's dont really have 15 round factory, however the Smith M&P series does.

in particular, the fn fnp-9 or fnx-9- each come with 16 and 17 round mags respectively...

in particular, the fn fnp-9 or fnx-9- each come with 16 and 17 round mags respectively...

If you could possibly find the FNP-9M you could avoid this nonsense about the magazine limitations. It is slightly smaller than the full sized FNP-9 and comes with 15 round mags.

WRONG! Ive heard this nonsense before as well...make a friend in PA who will let you use his work bench to mod your mags that you buy out of state...

so basically anyone can mod it? it doesn't need to be done by an ffl, nor a need for some sort of official paperwork stating that it's no longer a hI-cap mag but one that has been permanently modded?

so basically anyone can mod it? it doesn't need to be done by an ffl, nor a need for some sort of official paperwork stating that it's no longer a hI-cap mag but one that has been permanently modded?

Anyone who is not a resident of NJ, yes. You do NOT want to be in possession of a magazine (rifle/pistol) that can accept more then 15 rounds. Some dealers here in NJ will do the modifications to the mags for you, but you "can't" own one before the mod is done. As stated above you can read up on how to do it yourself, just make sure you ship the mags to a friend in PA, and do the work before you come back over the border to the People's Republic...

so basically anyone can mod it? it doesn't need to be done by an ffl,

Within NJ, only an FFL can possess a magazine over 15 rounds. So your two legal choices are have an FFL like Paul at Arms & Ammo receive and modify them for you, or travel to another state like PA then buy and modify them yourself before returning to NJ.

nor a need for some sort of official paperwork stating that it's no longer a hI-cap mag but one that has been permanently modded?
There is no paperwork, which actually makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't like the idea of having some cop see "17" stamped on the side, leaving the burden of proof on me to prove to him on the spot that I'm actually legal. Plenty of folks here do it and I've never heard of anyone having a problem, but I prefer to avoid any situations.

My solution to the high capacity 9mm dilemma was to buy the S&W M&P. S&W manufactures a factory 15 round mag just for NJ so you can be legal without a fully neutered 10 rounder. They earned my loyalty as a customer by supporting us poor NJ schleps.

Anyone who is not a resident of NJ, yes. You do NOT want to be in possession of a magazine (rifle/pistol) that can accept more then 15 rounds. Some dealers here in NJ will do the modifications to the mags for you, but you "can't" own one before the mod is done. As stated above you can read up on how to do it yourself, just make sure you ship the mags to a friend in PA, and do the work before you come back over the border to the People's Republic...

So, who are the dealers that do modifications to mags?