ChrisJM981

Emergency Preparedness at Work

Its smart, and its nothing really new. I know of companies that have had these types of signs or training (like fire drills) dating back to the '70s, some as early as the '50s. My last job had emergency CLS kits, enough cots and MREs to last for an undefined amount of time, as well as a backup generator that had an undefined running time-- not to mention a call and challenge system, and other undefined systems ;)

Still, I recommend a BOB/GOOD for everyone... FT/PT, students, retirees, etc. Wojo can probably break it down better then I can with statistics, but its always good to be prepared.

Are you only allowed to transport firearms if you are heading to a range or some kind of firearms shop or a sanctioned event? Basically meaning.....even if you followed the transportation guidelines of having the firearm in your trunk, and the ammo up front....could you essentially carry it with you wherever you went? My guess is no...

Standard issue and part of most companies emergency preparedness plans.

When I worked at UBS, every year we would get a new emergency kit, inside it had medical supplies, water, flashlight, etc.

If they supplied it I'd be happy about it. Giving us a list has in their lawyers' eyes released them from any and all liability. We're not permitted to have weapons on company property.

Add this one to the list. Probably a good idea to keep an eye out for problematic co workers that are getting fired. You don't want to be in their line of fire if they come back shooting the place up. Just had another one last night.

I keep a bug out bag in my car. I own a jewelry store. I have 2 range bags loaded with ammo, holsters, cleaning kit, and it would be very easy to put both pistols in the appropriate bags because they are very accesable(one is always on me depending how im dressed). I guess I have 2 bug out bags at work!

Good for your company. We encourage companies to be more proactive about disasters. I did an analysis today on the Discovery Channel shooting incident and compared their plans and preparations to those of the Coors plant in CT and last night's shooting in Philly at Kraft Food. Scroll down to the second article.

FWIW, I keep small BOB's in each vehicle and modify them for the season...throw in a few blankets and old jackets for winter. I have four kids and the worst case would be a disaster happening and we get separated. At least I know that they will be warm and have some Energy Bars / Snacks / Juice Boxes / Water to last a day or two until Dad arrives with the chain saw and zombie repellent.

http://www.firestorm.com/en/art/506/

Workplace violence

HEADLINE: Discovery Communications hostage crisis a reminder to review emergency plans

ANALYSIS: The employees and management at Discovery Communications deserve a big round of applause. Their planning and training paid off great dividends. They were faced with a very real crisis and came out of it with no employees getting hurt and with a minimal disruption to their business. Last night