Sign in to follow this  
tommy3rd

Silencers

In just about every movie I've seen, any gun where a silencer is used all you hear is a wffft or almost complete silence. However, in every YouTube video of guns with silencers, there is still a distinct pop. My question is...is there such a silencer seen in the movies or is it just truly hollywood's version of a silencer?

It's truly hollywood's version. They're not silencers, they're suppressors. Most of the crack you hear is the bullet going supersonic. If you use subsonic ammo, some suppressors will nearly silence the gun. you won't even hear the "Whuff". Look up MP5 Suppressed on youtube. Pretty much all you hear is the bolt noise.

Here is a great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF2Z6U4Z5Vg

Only thing is.... refrain from calling them silencers.... just a bad thing to do.... they are suppressors. Much like you do not shoot with a gun tilted over gangster style.

The government (or some entity related) has said that anything over 140dB will cause damage to hearing. There are companies that do make suppressors that are technically below 140dB-- making them "safe" to be used without ear-pro... albeit, the dB the suppressors create are around 130-- haha, so, I'd rather stick with my ear pro regardless.

The government (or some entity related) has said that anything over 140dB will cause damage to hearing. There are companies that do make suppressors that are technically below 140dB-- making them "safe" to be used without ear-pro... albeit, the dB the suppressors create are around 130-- haha, so, I'd rather stick with my ear pro regardless.

Shoot a good suppressed 22 and get back to me. All you hear is a pft, the action (if semi), and the bullet hitting the backstop. It is definitely hearing safe.

To the guys watching youtube videos, just keep in mind that the sound on video is often very different that reality.

Edited to add: Suppressed supersonic 223 sounds about like an unsupressed 22 rifle shooting supersonic ammo. Subsonic 223 is pretty damn quiet, but most loads will no cycle a semi.

$200 to make or transfer most items, $5 to transfer an AOW.

If any of you are going to be in St. Mary's County, MD some weekend, get in touch with me and I will make arrangements for you to try some suppressors (and just go shooting in a privately owned gravel pit with no silly NJ rules B)).