Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Buying guns from a non-FID holder

Firstly, is this even possible? If so, what information would go on the COE and/or PP, since the "seller" would not have an FID.

For example, my aunt inherited a rifle from her father, and let it sit in her attic for 10 years. Now she's doing some cleaning and wants to get rid of it. She is not a prohibited person, but has zero interest in obtaining an FID. In order for me to purchase it, what steps need to be taken?

Pistols are the same thing as buying one normally. Just that the copies of the permit have to be provided to the NJSP and local PD as usual.

I don't understand why there is a box for the FPID numbers on the permit because as its been stated ad nausem, the FPID has nothing to do with the purchase of a pistol.

I guess it makes finding the records easier for the PD.

If the seller has no FPID, why not put "None" or "N/A" ?

Pistols are the same thing as buying one normally. Just that the copies of the permit have to be provided to the NJSP and local PD as usual.

I don't understand why there is a box for the FPID numbers on the permit because as its been stated ad nausem, the FPID has nothing to do with the purchase of a pistol.

I guess it makes finding the records easier for the PD.

If the seller has no FPID, why not put "None" or "N/A" ?

I'm not sure if they will except "N/A" for your SBI number. If your buying a gun in NJ from someone who doesn't have an SBI number, then you would be purchasing an unregistered handgun, the police could go and arrest the person who sold it to you for being in possession of a unregistered handgun with out proper permits.

By law she is supposed to either obtain the proper permits, or hand the guns over to an FFL. Best bet would be to take the Guns to a FFL and have them transfer the handguns over to you, the rifles wont have to tho.

Your SBI number tells authorities who is who in there enormous database, If you didn't give them your SBI number, they wouldn't know who you are. Guess how many John Smiths they have in there data base.? Now, on the other end, they need the sellers SBI becuase they have to go into the database and remove the registration and move it to you. Local Pd's, and i was explained this by the officer who did my paperwork, that it's important they receive proper paper work for purchase of handguns, since they keep it all on file. If i sold one of my guns, i would tell them and have them remove the registration from my file. Like he told me, the usually have a lot of permits on file for people who don't actually own the guns anymore, and it can make for a mess.

I'm not sure if they will except "N/A" for your SBI number. If your buying a gun in NJ from someone who doesn't have an SBI number, then you would be purchasing an unregistered handgun, the police could go and arrest the person who sold it to you for being in possession of a unregistered handgun with out proper permits.

Registration of guns is Voluntary in NJ. What you are in effect saying is that a person who purchased handguns legally in a different state and moved to NJ would be unable to sell them. Furthermore, if someone is a prohibited person and they inherit guns, they must get rid of them within 180 days. If they aren't allowed to sell them, how do they sell them?

Registration of guns is Voluntary in NJ. What you are in effect saying is that a person who purchased handguns legally in a different state and moved to NJ would be unable to sell them. Furthermore, if someone is a prohibited person and they inherit guns, they must get rid of them within 180 days. If they aren't allowed to sell them, how do they sell them?

Good point. I guess i misinterpreted the laws, i just read through them and thinking about it while i read it's pretty clear.