Wolfy

Bolt Action 22LR

Are you looking for a gun with historical significance? Match gun? Single shot bolt or magazine? tube?

Are you going to scope it or shoot irons?

Kimber 22lr Government models from CMP are top notch and come with match iron sights.

Are you looking for a gun with historical significance? Match gun? Single shot bolt or magazine? tube?

Are you going to scope it or shoot irons?

Kimber 22lr Government models from CMP are top notch and come with match iron sights.

The Mossberg M44's the CMP sells are also a great shoot, although I think they are out. For the price, am I extremely happy with mine.

Maks I am looking for a scope and magazine fed.

Wolfy,

If you want I can bring in my CZ452 in 17 HM2 on Tuesday night. I love it. I did the $15 "Yo Dave" trigger job and it now has a great trigger. 17HM2 ammo is half the cost of 17HMR. Go to the Rimfire forums for more info. The only thing that stops some people from buying them is that many companies (Marlin and CZ) have stopped producing rifles in that caliber. There are plenty out there though, and there are excellent deals to be gotten on them.

Wolfy:

To address your other question, vis-a-vis the .17M2, I think it's a great caliber and out to about 100 yards, every bit as accurate as my hummer. However, there are a very limited number of makers who still chamber for this round. I believe CZ dropped it this year. There are only two current ammo makers Eley & Remington and I think Remington is buying its primed cases from Eley - so in reality there is only one.

If you are willing to accept the possibilty that the caliber may go away completely, at some point in the future, then it's a great little caliber. Even with the exclusive Eley/Rem have on the ammo, it is about half the cost of hummer. I bought mine when ammo and makers were much more plentiful, but the writing was on the wall, and I always figure I can have it rebarrelled to .22 rimfire if need be. In the meantime I stock-up on M2 ammo - so I'm set for a while.

Good luck with your decision.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I called Cheyenne Mt looking for ammo and I don't know who I spoke to but he said the Mach 2 never took off like the 17 HMR. He said it took 3 years to sell the 10 rifles he preordered and don't be surprised this caliber fades away. That is enough reason to not buy one for me. You can't easily reload rimfire ammo. So I will get a bolt action Savage with the accutrigger.

I called Cheyenne Mt looking for ammo and I don't know who I spoke to but he said the Mach 2 never took off like the 17 HMR. He said it took 3 years to sell the 10 rifles he preordered and don't be surprised this caliber fades away. That is enough reason to not buy one for me. You can't easily reload rimfire ammo. So I will get a bolt action Savage with the accutrigger.

Like Pizza Bob said though, if HM2 ever dies, you just swap to a 22LR barrel or get your HM2 bored out to 22LR. Neither option is very expensive. I like being able to plow through 17HM2 without cost consideration. A box of 17HMR costs more than a box of 9mm.

And I can't speak for the guys at Cheyenne Mountain, but some of the worst sources for misinformation/disinformation are gun store employees. Go to Rimfirecentral.com and check out the multiple 17HM2 sections. Reports of this caliber's demise are greatly exaggerated.

I have the Savage Mark II GXP, I guess a less expensive version of the nice one Yankees showed...

I got mine from Dick's with a scope as well, a Bushnell scope actually, and mine is wood stock with real nice checkering and finish, bolt action, .22LR, normally $200 I got it for $150 on sale. It is, almost to say, my favorite thing to shoot. It looks and feels much more expensive than it is, is deadly accurate within its limits, and has very nice action/movement/etc.

They had both Savage .22LR wood rimfires Semi & Bolt on sale at the same time , take your pick. I had previously just purchased a Rem 597 so I had the scoped semi rimfire segment cornered, but I wanted the bolt action.

very very highly recommend... I seem to haven't met a .22LR I haven't liked, but still, it's just a can't miss rifle. AT THE VERY LEAST, it's an AWESOME rifle to have tucked away in case of emergency/SHTF. This and a box of 525/333/what-have-you is an excellent way to put $200 away. I could literally drive to the indoor range and if I brought only this, I'd have a lot of fun for an hour just sniping bullseyes on paper with this. It looks like Yankee's is even much nicer. Same with my Rem 597, I bought it (the green synthetic scoped combo ) and then found out there was also Rem 597 "tactical" models like ARs and also a nice, thumbhole, wild color scheme, heavy-barrels upgraded version.. I would have got that but didnt know. I like Yankees a lot but never saw that model to purchase, but again I am quite certain I'm happy with my version for $150.

savage6d.th.jpg

savage1t.th.jpg

I went to get a less expensive one but when I saw the Savage with the thumbhole stock and bull barrel I had to have it.

I completely understand brother. I went to Dick's in PA on Super Bowl Sunday morning looking for magazines for my Remington 597 I had just recently purchased, and walked out with a Mossberg 930 SPX. And when he told me he had something "special" in the back and brought it out to show me, literally the room darkened, the spotlight shined on it, music started playing in the background, and there was no way I was leaving without purchasing it.

I am looking for opinions on one my priority is a good trigger so am leaning towards a Savage.

What are your opinions of the Mach 2?

Here's a 22lr for sale with great trigger. CZ 453

I know the guy selling this and can get a better deal for you too. :icon_e_biggrin:

post-1437-055521800 1285633613_thumb.jpg

I keep going back to the Savage.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_bsev.htm

Wolfy, I have a Savage Mark II. (Not as fancy as the one on the link you posted, but a more basic model.) It's a wonderful gun. I had the fine folks at Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro put a scope on it last year, and it is quite the tack driver at the range! Smooth bolt, nice trigger, and a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend it! :)

Yankess is merely trying to give the impression he's not gay. He will come out sooner or later. He already has one of the colors on his hummer...oh I mean vehicle....oh I mean you do drive a hummer....are you trying to give us an impression? J/k don't get your panties in a bunch Sally

Anywho..I really like th savage with the thumbhole stock. I saw it as well at Dicks. They are on closeout and have a walnut colored stock and come with a bushnell rimfire scope. It aint too shabby. They have other model also, that have the twisted barrel and a regular stock.

I think the dicks model is hard to pass up IMO.

If the savage you are eyeing has the accu-trigger, its a really nice action. I have the Savage 93 BVTS in 22 magnum (bull barrel, stainless) and it too is a proverbial tack driver. 1 MOA at 100 is easy with this thing with good CCI ammo. I dont know where the trigger was set at on its scale of high to low but when i got it, it was so nice, i never adjusted it from its stock setting.

The one thing that CZ has available on its centerfires and not its bolt rimfires is the double set trigger. I once messed with a CZ with the double set and it was just sweeter than Yankee31 waving his little flag. :p

I spent a long while at Ready Aim Fire today with the Mark II GXP and was going to (still might ) post a total range report, but let me just say, this thing is one of THE BEST $150 or so bucks I've ever spent. just standing up and using the lowest [3?] scope setting, you can easily shoot sniper-proud shots all day long.

I think its FUN too, rockin and rollin, cockin and lockin that bolt action... but seriously, its not only FUN, it's dead on, i think the gun is FUN and LOOOOOKS beautiful IMHO, and is just such a value.

and ALL of my weapons prefered ammo is "CCI Standard Velocity 22LR Lead Round Nose 1070 FPS 40 Grain Target" [that's the who0le front label]

This ammo knocks my socks on all rimfires I have, but some of my rifles will use lesser ammos no problem, but with the Savage bolt .22LR GXP and this, CCI ammo (which was reasonable I think?) I might as well be shooting a M40 or M24 SWS or even one of those nicenice Tikka badmamajamamms.

I spent a long while at Ready Aim Fire today with the Mark II GXP and was going to (still might ) post a total range report, but let me just say, this thing is one of THE BEST $150 or so bucks I've ever spent. just standing up and using the lowest [3?] scope setting, you can easily shoot sniper-proud shots all day long.

I think its FUN too, rockin and rollin, cockin and lockin that bolt action... but seriously, its not only FUN, it's dead on, i think the gun is FUN and LOOOOOKS beautiful IMHO, and is just such a value.

and ALL of my weapons prefered ammo is "CCI Standard Velocity 22LR Lead Round Nose 1070 FPS 40 Grain Target" [that's the who0le front label]

This ammo knocks my socks on all rimfires I have, but some of my rifles will use lesser ammos no problem, but with the Savage bolt .22LR GXP and this, CCI ammo (which was reasonable I think?) I might as well be shooting a M40 or M24 SWS or even one of those nicenice Tikka badmamajamamms.

Scrap,

If you like rimfire, you need to give a few other calibers a shot. The 17HMR, 22Mag, and 17HM2 (my favorite of them) all travel more than twice as fast (> 2000fps), and thus are much flatter shooting. This makes it easier to shoot accurately at longer distances since there is much less drop. With my scoped Savage 452 in 17HM2, my 50 yard zero is nearly the same as my 100 yard zero. With a 22LR rifle, if you are zeroed at 50 yards you will be shooting about 3 inches low at 100. It gets worse as the distances increase. The ballistic tips on the 17HMR and 17HM2 rounds have the added bonus of making **** blow up really well when it hits. Unfortunately the better rimfire ammo is also pricier. 17HM2 is $6-7/box. 17HMR is $12/box.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98330