dpas1973

Denied buying a gun

took off of wotk tonnight to pick the gun up i ordered at the same gun store i baught a gun from in june start the paperwork and they tell me my licence dont match fy FID card i told them it worked in june at there store and In 3 other gun stores since then. They told me the salsmen must have missed the address not matching up now how is this possible 4 guns since may at 4 different stores and now its a problem? I called NIKS and talked to the women told her it hasnt been a problem the last 4 times and she is saying well you got lucky because its agains the rules. So she denyied it untill i go to motorvehicle and stand on line all day to change my address. My own town issued me 4 permits with a po box on my licence also. How is this fair?

You broke the law.

Your pistol permits/FID have to match your drivers license address. Consider yourself lucky.

If you want to do a change of address, which you have to do anyway if you moved and didnt update your drivers license, you can do it online on NJ's DMV website.

if i do it online i heard it takes 6-8 weeks to get the stickers. I dint break the law if 4 different gun stores including the one tonnight sold me guns with a po box on my licence. my town issued me 4 permits with a po box on my licence.

if i do it online i heard it takes 6-8 weeks to get the stickers. I dint break the law if 4 different gun stores including the one tonnight sold me guns with a po box on my licence. my town issued me 4 permits with a po box on my licence.

What address does your FId have?

What address do your pistol permits have?

If they do not match the address on your license... then you are in violation. PD asks for license to verify who you are... the address is what you put on the Applications for Pistol Permits and FID.

Are you typing from your cell phone?

Everyone is correct. The license must match your fid. I find no fault in them denying the sale. I also think your lucky you ot the guns you already have. Oh and just because they did it before, doesn't make it okay. They eff'd up when they did it.

Let me shed some light on a couple of things here. Just because your FPID doesn't have a correct address, does not make it invalid OR prevent you from acquiring firearms. There is no LAW that you are breaking without changing the address on the FPID. Your DL does NOT have to match your FPID. HOWEVER, a dealer should not transfer a firearm WITHOUT them matching. This is in the Admin Code which a dealer MUST follow. The PD can overlook the matching addresses, BECAUSE they can verify your present address by a DL look-up. The dealer can not. A PO Box on the DL is valid, BUT not for purchases from a dealer.

• Like 1

took off of wotk tonnight to pick the gun up i ordered at the same gun store i baught a gun from in june start the paperwork and they tell me my licence dont match fy FID card i told them it worked in june at there store and In 3 other gun stores since then. They told me the salsmen must have missed the address not matching up now how is this possible 4 guns since may at 4 different stores and now its a problem? I called NIKS and talked to the women told her it hasnt been a problem the last 4 times and she is saying well you got lucky because its agains the rules. So she denyied it untill i go to motorvehicle and stand on line all day to change my address. My own town issued me 4 permits with a po box on my licence also. How is this fair?

JHCTDOAC, spell check is your friend! :icon_e_biggrin:

Lodi DMV is not as bad as it was in about 1980 or so, going there in the summer to get my car inspected or get paperwork renewed was a hellish experience, easily stretch into 4+ hrs. Earlier than that, I remember going there in the early 70's on Saturdays when they were open, my mother worked so could only go on the weekend, lining up outside and waiting. IIRC, they may have had a computer terminal back then, but it took all day, no kidding, to get a paper license with no picture. Not to mention the lack of AC, the stench, and DMV employees that make the current ones look like Florence Nightingale. I think you can use a PO box as an address for NJ DL, but most if not all places won't take it as proof of residence or if it doesn't match a check you are trying to write or in this case FPID. If (actually when) the FFL gets audited, and they check to that level--and they do, from what I understand--they will get dinged for it.

I am also surprised that this got by the FFL and NICS, unless you were using a different picture ID---

JHCTDOAC, spell check is your friend! :icon_e_biggrin:

Lodi DMV is not as bad as it was in about 1980 or so, going there in the summer to get my car inspected or get paperwork renewed was a hellish experience, easily stretch into 4+ hrs. Earlier than that, I remember going there in the early 70's on Saturdays when they were open, my mother worked so could only go on the weekend, lining up outside and waiting. IIRC, they may have had a computer terminal back then, but it took all day, no kidding, to get a paper license with no picture. Not to mention the lack of AC, the stench, and DMV employees that make the current ones look like Florence Nightingale. I think you can use a PO box as an address for NJ DL, but most if not all places won't take it as proof of residence or if it doesn't match a check you are trying to write or in this case FPID. If (actually when) the FFL gets audited, and they check to that level--and they do, from what I understand--they will get dinged for it.

I am also surprised that this got by the FFL and NICS, unless you were using a different picture ID---

sorry using my blackberry is hard lol. nope same dl and firearms id card last 4 gun purchases and it went fine untill now.

Let me shed some light on a couple of things here. Just because your FPID doesn't have a correct address, does not make it invalid OR prevent you from acquiring firearms. There is no LAW that you are breaking without changing the address on the FPID. Your DL does NOT have to match your FPID. HOWEVER, a dealer should not transfer a firearm WITHOUT them matching. This is in the Admin Code which a dealer MUST follow. The PD can overlook the matching addresses, BECAUSE they can verify your present address by a DL look-up. The dealer can not. A PO Box on the DL is valid, BUT not for purchases from a dealer.

Thanks Paul. so the legality is on the dealer side of it, not on his?

I was curious if this applies to just dealers or everybody selling a firearm. I noticed in a lot of the market place posts that people wanted matching FPID and Drivers License.

ever been to motor vehicles in jersey city or lodi? its a welfare line all the time.

The DMV on Summit Ave in Jersey City is a welfare Tower of Babel, with everyone yammering in something other than English. It is a horrow show, and I never escaped from there in less than three hours.

Get in a car and drive to a less congested/more civilized town and your DMV experience will be better.

• Like 1