Sign in to follow this  
average joe

Howard Leight hearing protectors

I picked up a pair of these hearing protectors, The Impact Sport, electronic muffs. I have yet to use them, but for all you guys that have them, I have a question.

It says on the package that the electronic cut off is above 82 db. Isn't that a bit loud ? and will constant use with a high power rifle cause some hearing damage ? I have never used electronic muffs, and am trying to save what hearing I have left...I current use Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs, and they work great, but they are so big and goofy.

82dba won't damage your hearing. The typical centerfire rifle round produces more than 140dba which will damage your hearing. I use Impact Sports when I shoot and prefer to double up with squishy/foamy inserts in my ears. I turn the amplification all the way up so range commands are easy to hear but the sound of the gunshot is very, very muted.

I use them as well, like MidwestPX does, I sometimes double up when shooting indoors, depending on whats going on around me. Outdoor, and in most cases indoors they have been great! Throw an extra set of batteries in with your gear

I have had mine for about a half a year and absolutley love them. I haven't used them indoors yet, but for all outdoor uses they are more than sufficient. I have yet to use up the original batteries that came with them, I think due to the fact that it will turn itself off after a couple of hours.

I paid $54.99. I was going to order them at Amazon but forgot to so decided to drive 10 mins to pick up one.