Sign in to follow this  
imperialfish

Sig p226 Holster Suggestions

Can anyone recommended a holster for my sig p226r

I just received the blackhawk cqc, Its a great holster but seems like its going to wear the finish very quickly.

Dont have a ccw so concealment it not necessary.

A friend has the 226 elite. Uses Safariland paddle holster. It's got a light suede finish inside. I have one for my beretta and it's been a b*tch to break in so it's not good for quick draws but it's a nice holster.

For OWB I prefer the Bruce Nelson/Askins design with a belt tunnel on the back and a slot behind the trigger guard to pull it in close to your body.

If you want easy-on/easy-off look at the snap-over designs currently coming into vogue. Here are two makers that are well thought of on Sig Forum...

http://www.bigriverleather.com/owboutsidewaistband.html

http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/about.html

Good luck - a fine gun deserves a fine holster - don't scrimp.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I second the Blackhawk Serpa. The holster is very durable and the lock release reinforces the "keep your hand out of the trigger guard" ideal. If you are concerned about the level of retention you can move up to the Level 3.

• Like 1

Why does everyone keep recommending kydex or polymer holsters when the OP clearly stated in his initial post, that his concern was for finish wear on the gun? You're just dishing out more of the same. Before everyone jumps on board saying what great holsters the kydex, et al are, and how they've never damaged your gun - we're talking about the OP's perceptions here and he has already lost faith in that type of holster and was clearly seeking alternatives.

OP: Excuse me if I am misinterpreting your desires - and if that's the case, I apologize to those who recommended other palstic-type holsters. It just seemed to me he was asking about holsters other than the plastic-fantastics.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Why does everyone keep recommending kydex or polymer holsters when the OP clearly stated in his initial post, that his concern was for finish wear on the gun? You're just dishing out more of the same. Before everyone jumps on board saying what great holsters the kydex, et al are, and how they've never damaged your gun - we're talking about the OP's perceptions here and he has already lost faith in that type of holster and was clearly seeking alternatives.

OP: Excuse me if I am misinterpreting your desires - and if that's the case, I apologize to those who recommended other palstic-type holsters. It just seemed to me he was asking about holsters other than the plastic-fantastics.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I see what you are saying, but many articles that I have read all pretty much came to the same conclusion; that you WILL get holster wear regardless if you use leather or kydex. That being said if the OP is concerned about holster wear, he should consider not using a holster for his Sig.

Edit: type in "holster wear kydex vs leather" into google and you will find some interesting post regarding this topic.

you WILL get holster wear regardless if you use leather or kydex.

Ron:

I'm aware of the reality - you'll note that I said the OP's perception was that the factor that caused him to seek alternatives. That being said, my personal perception is the same. I can accept the gradual finish wear on the high spots caused over time by a leather holster, what was unacceptable, to me, were the scratch like markings left on the finish by a kydex holster I tried. Maybe just that holster, but really prefer leather anyway. I'll give you that kydex has the edge for competition - very smooth, clean draw. I think the same thing can be accomplished with leather, it just isn't cost effective anymore. I have a Rogers/Plaxco 1911 leather holster that is as slick as snot on a glass door knob. but those days are past.

Adios,

Pizza Bob