Shawnmoore81

Shotgun shopping

I'm not familure with mossbergs, nothing against em just never shot one. As for the remmington it seems every store u go to doesn't have it.

Caso's has a bunch of differnt 887 models in stock.

Like the title says m in the market for a shotgun. Tires of lugging my o/u around rabbit hunting and I wanna get a gun that is a little more rugid. I think I'm going to go with the benelli nova 12 gauge pump in camo.

I have heard good things about the Benelli from others who own them. As for pumpguns, I like the old-school pumps like the M37, M12 and 870 better; but those are merely my preferences. They are all solid shotguns and have been around a long time for a very good reason; they are all very well made. However, they are not considered in-style today with all the new makes that abound. As for the Rem. 887, I have not heard good things about them, and it's no secret in the last ten years that Remington has struggled with quality control issues with their guns and slumping sales. And they really haven't come out with anything yet that has trumped their legendary 870. Their 11-87, while popular, was simply a re-dux of the 1100, and I've yet to see a CTI on the skeet range. While I believe only half what I read on the internet, I do value some writer's opinions. Randy Wakeman is one writer who is pretty opinionated and verbose when it comes to shotguns including what he likes and dislikes, and he thoroughly trashed the 887 last year.

http://randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm

Early report on the 887:

http://www.randywakeman.com/Preview_Remington_2009_887NitroMagPump.htm

Not discounting anyones' choices, but if there is information available I like to absorb it when possible. Good luck when you make your decision.

I can see an O/U being a PITA to hump around in the field. The second barrel is an unnecessary extra weight to carry. And, I'm pretty sure nobody wants to risk dropping an expensive gun in a pile of rocks, or losing it down a ravine.

I don't hunt, but it seems that any inexpensive field pump or semi that can take a choke should pretty much fit the bill for you. A semi may have the edge for quick followup shots if the first one goes astray, but if you're set on a pump gun, I guess the Benelli is as good a choice as any other.

I can see an O/U being a PITA to hump around in the field. The second barrel is an unnecessary extra weight to carry. And, I'm pretty sure nobody wants to risk dropping an expensive gun in a pile of rocks, or losing it down a ravine.

I think with O/U's, having the same length barrel as found on a pump or semi-auto, the O/U's overall length will be shorter and trimmer to carry when compared to the pump or semi-auto. In many instances, lighter too. Most good doubles (both SxS's or O/U's) are designed to balance at the hinge pin or just forward of it. The barrels are usually thinner and lighter to compensate for the pair of them so that this feature is possible. Otherwise, you have an ungainly proposition for the field. For upland use, I enjoy using a double early season when covers are thickest. The heaviest 20 ga. O/U I have is 6lbs. 4 oz. None of the doubles I have are heavy and not one scales more than 7 lbs. The lightest, is less than 6 lbs. With 26 1/2" bbls., all are trim in the field and easy to carry all day and are just the ticket when snap-shooting in heavy cover.

I think a case can be made for a double's durabilty too. Some brands were legendary when it came to reliability and the fact that their actions are somewhat enclosed from the elements compared to a pump or semi-auto made them less prone to problems as well.

I have been hitting the woodcock coverts these last three weeks. Most of the cover is thick and it's tough to swing any unwieldy shotgun in. I take my doubles in cover like this, and while I do think about nicks and scratches, I have learned to look at them as momentos of a good hunt and over the years I've learned to accept this. So far, I've been lucky and most of my guns have simply acquired added "character" over the years.

Here are some pics of the covers I've been frequenting upstate starting back on Oct. 4th. Good reasons not to bring a shotgun that swings and feels like a leaden 2x6. My buddy and I hunt these covers, and he tends to use his M37 Ithaca Featherlight like a bullbar, pushing the brush and branches aside. The underside of his gun's finish on the receiver and stock is worn off. I tend to not use my shotgun as a method of moving brush aside:

I call this area "Hell's Cover" -

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MjkuanBn.jpg

Fringe cover -

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzkuanBn.jpg

My Setter pointing in typical cover today:

IMG_0639-1.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

I'm not saying my o/u isn't nice. I'll still use it for skeet but I just don't want to beat the gun up.

I hear ya, my hunting guns are tools and I use them a s such. I use field grade guns because I know I am going to beat the hell out of them. If you have a really nice gun with fancy wood, I would not take it in the bush either. I still prefer an O/U for small game though. Nice swing, fast follow up shots.

I'm not saying my o/u isn't nice. I'll still use it for skeet but I just don't want to beat the gun up.

I suspect if you shoot your O/U now for skeet, you're pretty familiar with it and pretty good with it as well. Hunting upland game isn't fun if the gun doesn't fit right or feel familiar. Shotguns are the least forgiving and most difficult to hit with when improper gunfit comes into play. A shotgun that fits you in the areas of DAC, DAH & LOP is one you'll shoot better with all of the time.

Unless you want a lighter gun or a different gauge, I would see no compelling reason to change. The only problem is all of us manage to find an excuse for another shotgun. It's a sickness; I know. As for a gun taking a beating, that's to be determined by how hard you hunt and where you take it. Unless you are using your shotgun to bat rocks into a creek, they are pretty durable to the elements and mars and nicks are prevented if the gun is carried properly and stays in your hands while trekking the woods. A neoprene buttstock sleeve can be added to minimize dents and scratches if you so desire. Oil-finished stocks are easier to refresh and made to look new again while an epoxy or varnished stock, while somewhat more durable; are tougher to refinish when nicked or gouged.

For me, I just can't bring myself to like a plastic stocked shotgun. And I had one some time ago. When I got into turkey hunting in the early 90's, I picked up a new Rem. 870 SPS-T specifically for turkey hunting. I thought it was the ultimate rough and ready shotgun. A 12 ga. with a short 21" bbl., it weighed only 7 lbs. and it also made for a handy pheasant, crow, grouse and woodcock gun. I killed a lot of game with that gun but I just never could get to love it. And it kicked like a mule with 3" turkey loads. I eventually sold it in '97. I lucked into a pair of wood-stocked 11-87 SP's in the mid-90's which I found fit and recoiled better but all they get used for today are turkey and fox/coyote hunting. They are too heavy to hunt upland game with and neither has an ideal fit for me. But for stationary or slow-walking targets they are acceptable.

I also admit that I have "fair weather" shotguns that see only nice days afield as well as shotguns that I don't mind hunting with in the pouring rain. I guess I'm lucky to have such alternatives. Every friend I hunt with today has at least one synthetic-stocked pump or semi-auto as a backup or primary arm. They are viable rugged additions to any collection but are not my personal first choice for heading afield.

“Shotguns are the siren’s call. Like women, some shotguns are beautiful, some are not; some are slim, while others bulge; some are homegrown and cheap, while others are foreign, mysterious, and expensive. Holding some makes you feel twice the man; while just looking at others withers you to half of one.”