Downr@nge

NJ has topped California as worst gun control state.

Well, with the recent progress California has made with some of their gun laws, NJ has just become the state with the worst gun laws.

*Goes to get the Batman light to take the Batman sign off and replaces it with a glorious SAF symbol and shines it in the sky to becon the Alan's; Gura and Gottlieb that is*

There's an article about a county's sheriff recently changing requirements for a CCW by allowing self defense to be used as a justifiable reason. This change came as the SAF were suing the sheriff and that his term was up at the end of the year and either of the possible incoming sheriffs said they would make that change anyway.

I have an app on my phone (HTC EVO) called "Genie Widget" aka "News & Weather" that gives me news updates on anything gun or gun legislation related.

Here is one link to the story. Click here.

I think Cali is still worse based on the fact that a lot of items I see on gunbroker says "we will NOT ship to California". That says a lot about their gun laws. Although it seems like they're a little more lenient when it comes to CCW.

• Like 1

In California a Regular Joe who never owned a gun before can decide today he wants to buy a gun, walk into a gun shop, pick out a handgun or rifle, and come back after the waiting period and pick it up.

NJ is the only state in the USA where local officials hold complete power over the exercise of your 2A rights and can deny/delay its exercise for as long as a year. I personally know three people who very very interested in becoming gun owners and when they saw the process, decided to back out.

The only other state even close to as bad as NJ is IL, where one must also have a permit to own ANY kind of firearm. However, it costs only $10 and is done via mail at the state level and shall be issued in 30 days. IL also has no restrictions on firearms in common use or standard capacity magazines.

Some states also have pistol permits in order to purchase a handgun, but these states do not prohibit the ownership of long guns with a ridiculous permit systems, nor are the requirements for said pistol permit anywhere close to as restrictive as NJ's.

Yes, NJ has the worst gun laws of any state.

• Like 1

The problem with CA is the ridiculous rules on what guns can be owned.

A lot of handguns are not legal in CA since they have to pass a useless melting test (or something to that effect) to weed out "unsafe" guns. The DOJ in CA keeps a list of approved firearms if a gun is not on that list it cannot be sold. I don't think the list is very extensive and many mil surp handguns cannot be purchased if they have mags over 10 rounds. All .50 cal BMG's and pistol grips on semi autos are a no go, and a grenade launcher (like the ones on some yugo SKS) are considered destructive devices.

Mass. has similar handgun rules to CA, and like NJ classifies muzzleloaders and air guns as firearms. I think they also have some kind of FID card as well. Oddly, they do allow class 3.

I should also add that while CA has a more restrictive list of firearms you can own, they:

- allow pre-ban weapons and magazines

- have concise definitions, in writing, from the authorities, on what things like "pistol grip" "thumbhole" "permanent" etc. mean

- have enough open land that plenty of people just go out in the desert on BLM land and shoot

- once again, gun purchases in California begin at a gun shop, not a police station

CA is indeed better than NJ.

• Like 1

I personally know three people who very very interested in becoming gun owners and when they saw the process, decided to back out.

No offense but, your friends are quitters! They gave up before they even tried. They probably wern't as interested as you thought. Yea, the FID process is a bunch of BS in this state, but all the more reason for them to apply. They're doing exactly what the liberal $#%^&*#@'s want them to do, fold like a wet noodle. And make sure all three put in for 6 pistol permits too!

• Like 1

No offense but, your friends are quitters! They gave up before they even tried. They probably wern't as interested as you thought. Yea, the FID process is a bunch of BS in this state, but all the more reason for them to apply. They're doing exactly what the liberal $#%^&*#@'s want them to do, fold like a wet noodle. And make sure all three put in for 6 pistol permits too!

You're right, they're quitters. My point was to demonstrate that people like this are not uncommon. I'd estimate for every gun owner in NJ are another 2-3 or three that wanted to, thought about it, and backed out. Plenty of people out there may want a gun but really don't want to risk intimidation from their boss at their work, or have the time to take off from work for fingerprints, etc. especially in lower income circles. And that's not to mention all the people who are discouraged/denied because they have some crappy little misdemeanor that wouldn't mean anything 50 miles from here cause them to be denied/delayed for a year. Or people who want to own a gun lawfully but really don't care enough to go through all the trouble NJ puts you through. And then we get to all the various bs local PDs pull on applicants.

This works against the rest of us, and unfortunately is working as intended. These letters and processes have been obsolete for ~20 years now with the advent of NICS and computers but are kept around to systematically intimidate people and discourage gun ownership. And this works against us all at the polls as now you have 1/3 or 1/4 the amount of people who would otherwise care. Even on juries, look at Brian Aitken's case. I'm sure you know the story so I'll skip the details but look at it like this: out of a sampling of twelve jurors no one knew about FOPA or NJ's transport laws and the judge was able to keep them in the dark. If we had more knowledge of guns and gun rights and ownership among the population, all it would have taken was for one juror to be a hunter or something and tell the other jurors "well there's this law that you can lock your gun in the trunk....." and who knows, maybe the guy would be walking free.

Anyone who is interested in reading about CA's ammunition bill (much/most/all of which goes into effect Feb 2011) can read all about it here:

http://www.ab962.org

You have to give a thumbprint to purchase ammo, now in CA!

I think NJ is the lesser of two Evils in regards to gun laws, But they both suck.

Well, with the recent progress California has made with some of their gun laws, NJ has just become the state with the worst gun laws.

*Goes to get the Batman light to take the Batman sign off and replaces it with a glorious SAF symbol and shines it in the sky to becon the Alan's; Gura and Gottlieb that is*

post-2331-055628000 1288988313_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No one mentioned the #1 thing that really sux about CA laws - 50 round ammo purchase/transfer limit PER MONTH! 50 ROUNDS PER MONTH!!!

I think that part of AB962 was removed. At any rate, AB962 will likely be shut down before February 2011, when it takes effect, as it violates interstate commerce.

• Like 1

im so glad I applied for my FID when I did. The plan was my older brother and me to apply together, then he kept delaying and I just went ahead and applied without him. Now I keep bugging him to apply because "there could be a 2-3 month wait" as a detective at the local PD said. But yea I think the FID application process just made him back down and the 60 dorrah! you gotta pay scared him away lol