16 members have voted

1. 1. Do i contact the chief of police?

So i have been waiting for over 45 days for pistol permits and the town has also done some other odd stuff in regards to the process, so should i send a nice email to the chief asking for explanation or just leave it alone? Please do not recomend contacting the state police as i have done this and they didnt seem to care, redirected me to the local PD.

So i have been waiting for over 45 days for pistol permits and the town has also done some other odd stuff in regards to the process, so should i send a nice email to the chief asking for explanation or just leave it alone? Please do not recomend contacting the state police as i have done this and they didnt seem to care, redirected me to the local PD.

If you have the contact information for whoever runs the detective department, I would contact him/her first.

i have... it has taken over 45 days in the past.

I did call the staff person and she said it did not get handed to the detectives until 28 days into the process... which is bs since my reference papers were sent out the day after i handed the paperwork in and my refernces retunred the forms in person the next day.. so basically they sat on it as i know the state police arent that slow, i ahd a friend in a neighboring town apply for fid and pistol permits the same time.. he got both over 2 weeks ago.. 32 days after the process began!

45 days isnt crazy, yet it is bs!

Well if by their own admission they're just lazy ef's because they didn't turn over the paperwork until day 28, then I would go ahead and contact the lead of the detective department, b*tch a bit, and after I get everything write a letter and mail it to the chief about my disappointment in the lack of efficiency under his/her command.

Yeah usually where I live it takes 2+ months but this time they had the references out in 2 days and I had them back the next. Interested to see what happens. But I know better than to complain or I'll never get a permit again. It's that crooked.

God, the sooner we get rid of this dumb system and rely on NICS the better off everyone is....

exactly!

I am more concerned about inquiring about the forms sent to my employer...I will contact the chief but possibly after i get these permits.

what are you talking about? forms to employers? no one ever sent any forms to my employers... if this is more of that extra form nonsense I would possibly get a little pushy.. not that I am recommending that you tell them this.. but maybe if they didn't make up BS additional forms (if that is the case) they would be able to actually follow the law and get your permits to you on time..

the reality is the more I think about this stuff the more it is irritating.. if you pay a ticket late what happens? if you don't show up to court on the day you are required to?

I would recomend giving it a couple of more weeks before taking it to the next level. As others have said, just call to inquire on the status during that time. The whole process is bs, but there is no sence agitating the situation by pissing off the people that are doing the permits. Guaranteed you will be waiting a lot longer for them next time.

From the people i know who have had issues with it taking way to f'ing long to get the permits, it's usually the chief who tells the officers to take there sweet a** time. Some chiefs will only allow or rather only process a certain number of permits per person per year, usually told to do so by the mayor or some other corrupt a$$ mongrel. Its called BS, yes, total and udder BS. Your best bet is to call the state police firearm division, but there only going to do something if you've been waiting 3+ months. There's really no excuse after that.

My friend has been waiting 3 months now in N. Haledon, they keep telling him the state has not sent back his background check, which is BS cause his references havent even been sent out yet, and the state is very quick now and days with the digital system. Got my permits one town over in the 30 day period. So, if i can get my permits in 30days, any one can, unless there is something screwy with your application. Since im living proof it can be done in 30 days, it just means the other PD's are doing something they shouldnt be.

FYI im buying as many guns as i can before i move out when im done with school.

I had to vote no, but it's really "no, not yet."

I agree that the P2P system should be abolished and we should go to NICS. Also agree that the PD's need to follow the 30 day statute, however, until we have political people behind us, we're at the mercy of the PD's. They have the power to make us wait for however long they want, because they know that they'll have to answer to no one at this time. They can hold our permits hostage for as long as they want.

My last wait for permits was 18 weeks. I was patient for the first couple of months then called the PD and very politely asked the status of my application. I documented everything and it's right here in front of me;

Note: Both personal references and my job returned forms in the first 2 weeks.

1) 2 months in I called and was told that my prints weren't back from the State Police yet. After I hung up, I called the SP and was told that they sent my prints back 6 weeks ago.

2) 10 weeks in I called and was told that my Mental Health check wasn't back yet. After I hung up I called the Monmouth Adjuster who told me that they sent my check back 2 months ago.

3) 3 months in I called and was told that everything was ready for the Chief to sign and my letter to pick up permits should be arriving soon.

4) 3 1/2 months in I called and was told that everything "needed so go through the system."

5) 4 months in I called the Police Commissioner. As always, I was very polite. He said that he would talk to the Chief and get back to me. He called back a few hours later and said that the Chief told him they were waiting for my background check to come back.

6) 18 weeks in I received my letter to pick up permits.

Have a headache yet?

I applied for new permits again in September. If I have them by Christmas I'll be surprised.

Something to keep in mind. You can apply for more PPP while your waiting on others. So instead of calling them and getting the runaround, fill out some more apps, get another $18 money order, and some cash for a few more permits and stop by and pay them a visit. While your there you can check on the others. Do this every 3 or 4 months and eventually you will have so many you will be throwing them away.

what are these forms for employers people keep talking about.. is that something new for handguns or something? I am being serious.. I have never had my employer contacted for any reason...

It seems that it depends on the PD. It's a simple form stating that the PD is conducting business with the applicant and needs to verify employment, and how long the applicant has been with the company.

It seems that it depends on the PD. It's a simple form stating that the PD is conducting business with the applicant and needs to verify employment, and how long the applicant has been with the company.

That's pretty ridiculous..

I would say that if the PD can't even keep up with the program using the correct forms... they should certainly not be delaying the process even further by adding BS additional forms.. while this is a pretty "low on the totem pole" problem I would say that those pro-2a groups got a pretty good argument against requiring individual pistol permits, if they would simply push forward with some legal action.. while this doesn't effect me in the slightest is seems that a case would be very simple to make..

* the individuals background is checked with every purchase so the additional pistol permits are useless and unneeded..

* there is mass confusion illustrated by the additional forms and lack of uniformity from one PD to the next...

* the police departments are clearly breaking policy by taking too long (in some cases per law isn't this actual grounds for assumption of approval?)..

the whole system is a cluster .... why not go after this and get it hammered out...

really not in to pistols as much so really doesn't effect me in any way but for those guys who buy and sell pistols often seems a little ridiculous..

just saying..

what are these forms for employers people keep talking about.. is that something new for handguns or something? I am being serious.. I have never had my employer contacted for any reason...

It ranges from some towns not sending anything to the job, to some towns sending a letter to verify employment and if the employment is in good status, to extreme examples of some towns flat out asking the boss if the "applicant is qualified to own a gun"

Some people's bosses don't care, some people work in a huge company that either won't sign off (someone here had that issue recently) or it takes a week to even get the letter to the right desk, I know someone who is personally afraid to apply because they know their town sends letters to their employer and their employer is highly anti-gun and would probably fire them or put down something stupid.

It's nothing but an intimidation measure. Or just one more speedbump to make it more of a hassle.

Either way there's no reason any such letter is needed or justified.

• Like 1

It ranges from some towns not sending anything to the job, to some towns sending a letter to verify employment and if the employment is in good status, to extreme examples of some towns flat out asking the boss if the "applicant is qualified to own a gun"

Some people's bosses don't care, some people work in a huge company that either won't sign off (someone here had that issue recently) or it takes a week to even get the letter to the right desk, I know someone who is personally afraid to apply because they know their town sends letters to their employer and their employer is highly anti-gun and would probably fire them or put down something stupid.

It's nothing but an intimidation measure. Or just one more speedbump to make it more of a hassle.

Either way there's no reason any such letter is needed or justified.

I agree.. that is RIDICULOUS... I would be so angry...

Something to keep in mind. You can apply for more PPP while your waiting on others. So instead of calling them and getting the runaround, fill out some more apps, get another $18 money order, and some cash for a few more permits and stop by and pay them a visit. While your there you can check on the others. Do this every 3 or 4 months and eventually you will have so many you will be throwing them away.

DING DING DING

IF YOU OVERLAP YOUR APPLICATIONS, THERE IS NO WAITING, EVER. :icon_exclaim:

• Like 1

DING DING DING

Agree with using any approach you can to keep you valid, however, and I'm playing Devils Advocate here, we need to remember the "red Flag" we've heard about. I applied for 5 permits this time, with focus on extension to keep me valid for 6 months. The Detectives didn't like it and they let me know it. Both used sarcasm, but they got their point across letting me know that 5 permits seemed unusual to them.

DING DING DING

I have always gotten my permits in Woodbridge in 4 weeks max. Last Wed was 5 weeks. Stopped into talk to the lady in the permit office and she told me my paperwork was upstairs. The detective was very backed up. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks. I have never had to wait 6 weeks and I still don't have them.