lunker

Holster Suggestions

I am looking to start shooting steel matches. Perhaps in the future I may also do some of the more formal events as well. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what holster I should start out with? Is Blade-tech the way to go here? I don't know if this is something I will be pursuing, so I am not looking to break the bank.

It's for a Beretta 92 and a Glock 34.

Oh yeah, I'm a lefty. :facepalm:

I've already told you this but I really like the Blade-Tech drop offset with teklok. Cost me close to $80 with shipping and took foooooooorever to get. There's no retention really so is great for faster draws and you can tweak it for a more comfortable drawing position.

For carrying around the range or not looking to spend a ton, I like the blackhawk. The little button you have to hit to release the weapon slows you down a bit for drawing in competitions but I got acclimated to it quickly. I think it runs around $40.

Safariland also has a nice paddle holster without any type of retention but I just could never get it to break in well enough for a quick draw. Ran around $40 as well through OpticsPlanet.

I've already told you this but I really like the Blade-Tech drop offset with teklok. Cost me close to $80 with shipping and took foooooooorever to get. There's no retention really so is great for faster draws and you can tweak it for a more comfortable drawing position.

For carrying around the range or not looking to spend a ton, I like the blackhawk. The little button you have to hit to release the weapon slows you down a bit for drawing in competitions but I got acclimated to it quickly. I think it runs around $40.

Safariland also has a nice paddle holster without any type of retention but I just could never get it to break in well enough for a quick draw. Ran around $40 as well through OpticsPlanet.

I was also looking at the cheaper options too though.

I would rather spend the money up front and bite the bullet, but that's only when I know I'll actually be using it. Otherwise, a cheap one works for me too. I suspect I'll be every bit as hooked as others on the forum, and $80 isn't going to break me. I will look online tonight.

Well next time you go to Shore Shot let me know. I saw on the website something about a "fun shoot". I kinda want to hit that up but am not sure what it entails. I mostly shoot outdoors but it's getting cold so I will be taking my ball and heading inside.

Blackhawk Serpa CQC. I have it - love it. It has retention and if you're drawing it's not bad. It's especially good if you're moving around with it holstered. Marlon had that problem during the 3-gun match - he was running and his gun fell out. He had loosened the retention. You can also remove the retention from the Blackhawk Serpa - I've seen some people who have done that with theirs. Faster draw for standing competition.

Chris....I completely get it. I didn't want to spend the $80 either but I just knew I didn't want to spend $40 and in a month not be happy and spend the $80 for what I really wanted anyway. It's a personal choice. If you order from Blade-Tech, I would suggestion the DOH with the teklok. You can use it on a regular belt but I got a CR Speedbelt. I know guys who just use a 5.11 belt.

Baba...I'll be at Shore Shot Friday around 7:30p. Link about SS fun shoot. They are every Monday but the first Monday of the month. http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19696-fun-shoot-shore-shot-monday-110810/

Check out various forums and don't be afraid to buy holster used.... most are used for one match and that is it. I got my blackhawk serpa from csj for the 1911, and on glocktalk for my hk. Neither showed any signs of use. After one match, you will not care.

The serpa lock will not slow you down much, if at all. For 1911's it places your trigger finger on the frame.... for some glocks, in the guard... so watch out for that.

Practice drawing and you will forget about the retention on it.

The serpa lock will not slow you down much, if at all. For 1911's it places your trigger finger on the frame.... for some glocks, in the guard... so watch out for that.

Never noticed that with my Serpa and my airsoft glock 18/19. Nor with my Px4 Storm. I make it a habit to keep my finger straight while drawing.

If you want to go cheap, an Uncle Mike's holster is the way to go.

If you want to spend a few bucks for a GOOD holster that is not a race holster, get a Bladetech. Exactly how Stephanie said, with DOH and tekloks. You can adjust it to fit many different belt sizes and adjust how "loose" the gun is in it. You will have to wait a few weeks once you order it, but you will not be disappointed.

As far as Marlon's gun falling out of the holster during a 3gun match; The tension on the gun was very loose. There were 6 other people in our squad and countless others in the match with Bladetech's that did not have this problem.

If you want to go cheap, an Uncle Mike's holster is the way to go.

If you want to spend a few bucks for a GOOD holster that is not a race holster, get a Bladetech. Exactly how Stephanie said, with DOH and tekloks. You can adjust it to fit many different belt sizes and adjust how "loose" the gun is in it. You will have to wait a few weeks once you order it, but you will not be disappointed.

As far as Marlon's gun falling out of the holster during a 3gun match; The tension on the gun was very loose. There were 6 other people in our squad and countless others in the match with Bladetech's that did not have this problem.

Thanks. This thread is a bit of a repeat for me, but lots of good info here

Silly goose. This is what you want. Lefty too :)

http://www.blade-tec...ok-pr-1032.html

Thanks Stephanie. I never thought too look in the Rush Items section. The next question is which gun to get it for, the Beretta Steel I or the Glock 34. :icon_question:

I don't know. USPSA doesn't allow single action Berettas, but I shoot it best. The Glock is second best. I don't think the Steel match guys care which gun I run.

Single action only guns are in Limited and open classes. production is DAO, DA/SA.

No BHP's, 1911's, etc in production class.

Single action only guns are in Limited and open classes. production is DAO, DA/SA.

No BHP's, 1911's, etc in production class.

You can use the gun for limited 10 as well. 9mm will score you as minor, 15 round mags if you load them to capacity would work in limited.

I would shoot limited 10. 10 round max in mags. Also good practice for when you shoot the 34 in production, it would be the "same" thing. 10 rounds in mags, same type of game plan.

Thanks Stephanie. I never thought too look in the Rush Items section. The next question is which gun to get it for, the Beretta Steel I or the Glock 34. :icon_question:

I ordered a holster from the rush items and it still took 2 weeks. Just as a heads up.

I ordered a holster from the rush items and it still took 2 weeks. Just as a heads up.

Yeah Chris... I just googled the holster and clicked on the link which brought me to the Bladetech site. I wasn't searching directly in the Bladetech website. Took me 3 1/2 weeks. I think they forgot about my order. My friend got it in 9 days so who the heck knows. Kind of sounds like getting permits around here. :p