njpilot

5.11 Tactical AR15 Mag Pouches

Yeah but they would be rather...floppy wouldnt they?

Depends on the belt.... and the pouches. With MOLLE you tend to weave the ends through the loops on the pouch/molle gear. You could weave it around a belt then back through the pouch loops. It would be floppier than true MOLLE gear, but if you buy these to just use to hold mags if you're at the range then that's fine.

Yeah but they would be rather...floppy wouldnt they?

With some fancy weaving, its possible to make them relatively tight on a regular belt (regardless of its width).

I don't have any experience with the 5.11 rifle pouches, though there other stuff is OK. With that said, as a person who runs a belt primarily now (albeit a MOLLE one), pouches on the waist feel a lot more natural. I'd recommend the ATS shorty magazine pouches: http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-7296, especially considering a lot of us run 20rd body magazines. I also run the Blue Forces Gear Ten-Speed pouches, which can be had for relatively cheap.

Regarding the OP, those are pretty good prices. But like I said, I'm not familiar with their quality.

Guest HuntingPaper

Depends on the belt.... and the pouches. With MOLLE you tend to weave the ends through the loops on the pouch/molle gear. You could weave it around a belt then back through the pouch loops. It would be floppier than true MOLLE gear, but if you buy these to just use to hold mags if you're at the range then that's fine.

I didn't know you own an AR?

Guest HuntingPaper

outside of airsoft, he doesnt. he has lots of assorted molle gear. and it doesnt have to be an AR pouch to try on a belt.

Airsoft gear has different weight and I there's a lot of cheap molle gear around for it but that not necessarily will work well with heavier equipment such as .223 ammo on a metal magazine and I guess that was the matter here.

A fully loaded STANAG magazine (30 rounds) is only one pound... not really all that heavy :icon_e_wink:

Pouches are pouches are pouches. The only discernible difference I've experienced in my previous life was stitching quality, which is more of a long term issue.

Airsoft gear has different weight and I there's a lot of cheap molle gear around for it but that not necessarily will work well with heavier equipment such as .223 ammo on a metal magazine and I guess that was the matter here.

Not really - I have some heavyweight airsoft gear that is the same weight as regular loaded mags. Believe me, I've loaded myself down with 40+ pounds of gear before! And yes, there's the cheap gear but I make sure to purchase the higher quality items. It's very easy to tell what is good and what is not.

Guest HuntingPaper

A fully loaded STANAG magazine (30 rounds) is only one pound... not really all that heavy :icon_e_wink:

Pouches are pouches are pouches. The only discernible difference I've experienced in my previous life was stitching quality, which is more of a long term issue.

Right, same weight than an airsoft one... The more weight you have you will find out how good are the stitches.

Yeah but you don't want things moving around on your waist if your at a match. Not sure if that was mentioned.

I bought a belt for uspsa and I am about to buy a gun belt for a ccw holster (idpa). I wanna try to set up a rig for a 3 gun or like the match Tosser set up.

Please keep the gear stuff coming. I will say the pouches the OP listed, didn't exactly make me happy. I run only 20 round mags.

Guest HuntingPaper

If you want to have them in your waist get the Blade-Tech along with a real gun belt.

Guest HuntingPaper

a blade tech what? BT makes mag holders for ar15/m16 mags? really?

Yes they do. Check their website or you can also buy them on Midway.

I though about the blade techs but sometimes the stages can get the round count up a bit. If your only going to carry 2 mags, I think belt mounted would be great. But beyond 2.... I think another solution is needed. The mini chest rig that carries 3 worked out fairly well. What I like is it did not really interfere with ops in the prone position.

Guest HuntingPaper

I though about the blade techs but sometimes the stages can get the round count up a bit. If your only going to carry 2 mags, I think belt mounted would be great. But beyond 2.... I think another solution is needed. The mini chest rig that carries 3 worked out fairly well. What I like is it did not really interfere with ops in the prone position.

That mini vest of yours it was very nice :) and you can get 3 mag holders for your belt too, I'm ordering the third one right now.