Shawnmoore81

Starting em young

This is his first real brand new bought for him gun. He has a couple hand me down that are waiting for him to grow into but this gun is perfect for him now. It s Christmas gift from me but he had to come with me to make sure it fit him nice

davey cricket

.22 bolt action

Synthetic stock

width=597 height=799http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/njbudman81/9743b035.jpg[/img]

width=597 height=799http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/njbudman81/5305fe24.jpg[/img]

I know "youll shoot your eye out kid"

Outstanding.

I love seeing kids being brought into the shooting community. It gives me hope that the firearms and shooting tradition that is our legacy may survive, even here in NJ.

Nicely done.

I started him with a daisy red rider then a couple months ago I gave him a crossman co2 semiauto pellet gun that I use to shoot. He shot a killed a squirrel from his treestand. Unfortunately the critter had worms or I would have made him eat it. Then I took him to NRA day at the Salem county sportsmans club and he shot with a instructor and did very well. So that's when I decided he was ready for the cricket. My father inlaw has about 18 acres in Salem county around his house not including the wood and farms he doesn't own. That was great for the pellet gun but not enough room for the .22 so I'll take him the the range and the d.o.d.

How old are you kids when you start them with rifles? My little guy is turning 6 and I would like to start him with a pellet rifle.

I taught a 6 year old how to shoot with a .22 rifle before. Every kid is different though. If they can handle it they can handle it, the specific age is irrelevant. The younger you start drilling in the safety rules the better they will stick.

• Like 1

I started at age 9, first rifle was a Sears single shot .22. Still have it and shoot it on occasion. To this day, I still remember my father taking me to Sears to buy it, and a box of .22 ammo. What a proud day that was, a memory that has lasted for over 50 years...your son will remember that moment as well...good job .

I taught a 6 year old how to shoot with a .22 rifle before. Every kid is different though. If they can handle it they can handle it, the specific age is irrelevant. The younger you start drilling in the safety rules the better they will stick.

Good point on the age. It occured to me after I posted it.

I have started to drill them on the rules of the guns that his mother and father shoot at ranges. We don't have any at home yet but I think they will do fine. We don't sugar coat much with our children.

I started at age 9, first rifle was a Sears single shot .22. Still have it and shoot it on occasion. To this day, I still remember my father taking me to Sears to buy it, and a box of .22 ammo. What a proud day that was, a memory that has lasted for over 50 years...your son will remember that moment as well...good job .

Thank you. I got the same feeling a couple weeks ago when I took the family offroading with me. They finally got to see why I work on my truck so much and what "the woods" can really be.

I brought him out to the d.o.d. Today to try it out. I had a couple pumpkins I had to get rid of. He shot a few rounds to make sure the gun worked properly now I'm locking it up til Christmas. I also had a new shotgun (rem 887 nitro) needed to test out before 6 day firearm. All went well and those pumpkins won't be starting anymore trouble.

Well done. I constantly try to keep it fun for my kids to shoot. The biggest thing I found was as long as they hit the target they will keep going. I put a big paper target about 5 yds in front with a 5 inch circle. Teach them to aim, but as long as they hit paper they will stay encouraged and smile as they watch the holes get closer and into the bull. I teach them irons, but let them shoot my scoped 22's to see what they will eventually move up to.

That's nice! That's about how old I was when I learned to shoot a very similar rifle. When my little guy gets a bit older (only 7 months rite now) im going to offer him the same opportunities that I had as a youngin. That's how we gotta protect our rites! The next generation is gonna have to pick where we leave off.

Ken