PDM

Gun Purchases: Online or In-Store?

Gun Purchases: Online or In-Store?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy guns online or in-store

• Online and shipped to FFL
    • From a store
    • Done Both

I'm curious to know how many folks here buy their firearms online and have them shipped to an FFL as opposed to buying at a dealer here in the beautifyl Garden State. Every firearm I've bought so far has been online, shipped to an FFL with a $35 transfer fee. I'd like to support the local shops, but the price differential is just too great when you factor in the a sales price that is usually 15% - 20% higher than the online price plus 8% sales tax. I've found that most local shops don't discount more than 5% of MSRP, if that. True you don't get to handle or inspect the gun first, but there is something exciting about driving to the FFL and opening up the package -- kind of like birthday, Christmas and Chanuka all rolled into one. So far, I've been extremely pleased with my online purchases - had no problems and probably saved well over $1000 on the 10 guns that I own.

1) Tax in NJ is 7%, not 8%

2) Have you used the price request form on this forum? I have found our FFL's to beat even Bud's Guns on new stuff.

Furthermore, if you keep an eye open, you can find excellent deals in state on used guns.

I bought a used pocket gun from PK90 for $200

I bought a used 22 rifle from Hackettstown Guns & Ammo for $19 (through gunbroker)

I bought a used revolver from TJ for $225

I bought a milsurp from Sarco for ~$100

I bought a used pump shotgun (the brand that Ray Ray hates) from Jersey Police Supply in Fairview for $75 (thru gunbroker)

ALL of these guns were functional. We're not talking basket cases here.

• Like 1

djg0770 -- thanks for that input. I have two purchase permits burning a hole in my pocket and may just try the price request system on this site. I think the next two purchases will be a Kahr PM9 and a Ruger LCR. I have bought most of my guns from Buds. They have the all black PM9 for $678 (cash price), which with FFL transfer would bring the price to a shade more than $700. I would gladly buy from a shop if they could come close to that price including tax -- I wouldn't expect them to match or beat an internet price necessarily, but at least come close.

djg0770 -- thanks for that input. I have two purchase permits burning a hole in my pocket and may just try the price request system on this site. I think the next two purchases will be a Kahr PM9 and a Ruger LCR. I have bought most of my guns from Buds. They have the all black PM9 for $678 (cash price), which with FFL transfer would bring the price to a shade more than $700. I would gladly buy from a shop if they could come close to that price including tax -- I wouldn't expect them to match or beat an internet price necessarily, but at least come close.

It doesn't cost you anything to do a price request here. Like you said - they don't have to necessarily match or beat an internet price - I don't mind spending a few bucks extra to support forum sponsors, but as you can see from my list, I am a cheap SOB.

For me it's about price vs. risk. Online retailers may sell a little cheaper but by the time shipping and transfer are paid the price tends to even out. If I'm going to spend almost the same amount of money I'd rather deal with my local FFL and have them order the gun. If I'm going to save a significant amount of money then I'll order online. There is risk with ordering online: It the seller a reputable person/dealer? Do the pictures match the item? If it's used is it really in the condition they say? I have had many positive dealings with vendors on this site, Gunbroker and some online sellers. I have had some bad experiences too, and the warnings were staring me in the face but I got stupid. If something sounds too good to be true - It Is! Shop around, have fun with it and be warned: Shopping for one gun makes you want to buy many more.

They have the all black PM9 for $678 (cash price), which with FFL transfer would bring the price to a shade more than $700. I would gladly buy from a shop if they could come close to that price including tax -- I wouldn't expect them to match or beat an internet price necessarily, but at least come close.

Give Hackettstown Guns and Ammo a call, they currently have two Kahrs in 9mm and 40 S&W (Bi-Tone). Their phone is (908) 852-5260, you have to talk to Walt (The owner) because Tony (that would be me) or John can't negotiate the prices, but the prices are about $650.00 plus NICS, and taxes. 3% additional on the gun before taxes if paying by CC.

I keep it local to our vendors... except when what I am looking for is extremely hard to come by, or there is a stellar discontinued deal or what not online.

Unless you are buying from a close out vendor, ie Aim surplus, when you add in shipping and transfer, our supporting vendors will be able to come close.

For me, I love purchasing used when I can, let someone else take the depreciation hit, and you can almost always get amazing deals that come buy on firearms that are either picked up by a vendor used, or lunkered in the marketplace.

My issue with buying in store like stated is that the good NJ vendors with competitive pricing are far from me in location, and.... the good stores in my area, the ones i actually like to go to are pricey. At 50bucks a pop for transfers at my shop, i think im not only getting a great price online, but the shop gets a nice kick back too for the transfer. Im happy to give my money to guys who deserve it, even if it costs me a bit more. And in the end it still is cheaper. the saving alone on sales tax is worth 50 or more bucks.

My issue with buying in store like stated is that the good NJ vendors with competitive pricing are far from me in location, and.... the good stores in my area, the ones i actually like to go to are pricey. At 50bucks a pop for transfers at my shop, i think im not only getting a great price online, but the shop gets a nice kick back too for the transfer. Im happy to give my money to guys who deserve it, even if it costs me a bit more. And in the end it still is cheaper. the saving alone on sales tax is worth 50 or more bucks.

How "North" are you in North Jersey??

There are two FFL's in North Jersey that charge $35 incl NICS. - just do a search.

Thanks for the input. I am in Bergen county and the shops around relatively close -- Ramsey Outdoor and the Bullethole -- do tend to be pricey. $35 transfer fee at the FFL I use is hard to beat, but like I said I will try the quote system on this forum.

I'd much rather buy a gun in-store and feel it and handle it and look at it than buy it online. I can say I have bought online, yet I prefer to purchase locally...not only to see it but support my local shops.

In my experience, a lot of the 'good' deals online are ruined by the transfer fee. If an Sp-01 is being sold for $600 online, and $700 locally, I might as well buy it locally. 1 - to support shops and 2 - is the $50 Im going to save worth the headache of ordering online and the time it takes? For a big savings, yes, for small savings, not really.

Also, I dunno where these $35 transfer fees are...the only place I knew of that did them had to 'follow regulations' and push it up to $50 or $60 or whatever it is now.

RF hit the nail on the head...

If you have not shot the gun, or handled it before buying it... I would be hesitant to buy it online. I would much rather buy it locally.

Especially if you are buying a $750 or $850 Sig, Hk, or 1911.... is $50 really going to break your wallet? Most of all... when problems pop up, are you dealing with a local dealer, or an 800 number.

For instance, when I bought my Smith Wesson 1911, Pro Series... in 9mm, I purchased it from Vinny (hunting world guns and ammo) one of our supporting vendors. I get the gun.... go to the range... and the mags that were with the gun were 45ACP mags.... not 9mm mags. A quick call to Vinny, followed by a call to the local Smith Wesson rep, and next day I have 2 brand new Wilson mags sent to me.

Had I purchased it on Gun Broker, or elsewhere, who knows if I would get the same service.

Now I have purchased many firearms online, not alot of dealers carry 60 year old Israeli Mausers, or want to carry handguns chambered in 45 gap. =)

Lincoln Park True Value Hardware charges $35 per transfer total. Bruce the owner is pretty accomodating -- I call the day before telling him I'm coming by and he has as much of the paperwork filled out as he can without me there. I've had all my guns shipped to them -- I'm usually in an out in 15 minutes or so, depending on how quick the State is with the check. And, like I've said, the savings are usually substantial. I just bought a Sig p226 E2 with an MSRP of $1149 for $867, including shipping, no tax, with a Sig pistol light/laser thrown in. Under $900 total with the transfer fee. Purchased from an authorized Sig dealer in Wisconsin. Kind of hard to beat.

• Like 1