I started watching Top Shot around mid-season. I enjoyed seeing the various weapons used (with the possible exception of the tomahawks), but I found the petty bitchiness to be so annoying that I went here: http://community.history.com/forums/170/ to express my views. Turns out there were dozens or more other people who liked the show, but were put off by Jamie being sent to elimination every week. With any luck, the producers will respond to the public outcry and change the format for next season.

As someone else noted, the elimination round should be between the two worst performers, to eliminate the politics. Alternatively, they could have the last place shooter pick his or her opponent, which would probably have the same net effect, as that person would be likely to select someone that he would have the best chance of beating.

As for Jay, I think he did really well for a non-military guy. While his styles may have been a bit unorthodox, I believe he benefited from his experiences as a competitive golfer, which helped him to perform better under pressure. Plus, the fact that less was expected from him took some of the pressure off. I believe that's how he won his next to last elimination challenge. Everyone expected his opponent to win, but he (the opponent, whose name I can't recall) seemed to succumb to the heat of the moment and perform at less than his best.

Any word on when next season is scheduled to air?

Second to everyone who said, “Like the concept, hate the drama.”

Still, agreed it's a small price to pay for a mainstream show that focuses on shooting as a sport and competition. Law & Order, CSI, etc. only present the bad/evil/tragic side of guns in society, not how 99% of responsible owners behave.

FWIW, I’d like to see more women in the cast. I think the worst thing about Top Shot is that it unintentionally reinforces the idea that shooting is for men only (or so says my wife).

Oh, while I’m at it – anyone else notice that in the promos for S2, they posed Athena with an AK? Way to make the Southeast Asian lady hold a commie weapon...

:icon_mrgreen:

FWIW, I’d like to see more women in the cast. I think the worst thing about Top Shot is that it unintentionally reinforces the idea that shooting is for men only (or so says my wife).

:icon_mrgreen:

I totally agree, or at least a woman who will make it past the first couple eliminations... I highly doubt they will get rid of or change the elimination style challenges, a lot of shows are based on this and stupid people love it...

I am in agreement with the rest, put the worst shooters on the chopping block and have the show actually test what the name says "TOP SHOT"... this will never happen, for every 1,000 people they have complian about it, 10,000 dont give a rats a** and watch the show for the excitement of the eliminations. This Is TV, not an actual contest.

That's nothing but a feel-good policy. If a woman is not qualified to be on the show, she should not be on the show. Let's face it, shooting is pursued by like.....95% guys, to be generous. Yes, some guys here have girlfriends/wives that shoot with them....but if you split up, would they still pursue shooting? Most of them probably would not. Shooting is predominantly an activity pursued by men, and I strong-heartedly disagree with putting more women on the show if they aren't qualified. It's the same as Affirmative Action, but I won't even get into that :thsmiley_deadhorse:

If a woman is not qualified to be on the show, she should not be on the show.... It's the same as Affirmative Action, but I won't even get into that

I agree with you 100% about Affirmative Action – I don’t want to see the producers include a bunch of unqualified anybodys just to meet a quota.

However, my thought is that Top Shot just a reality TV show, not Camp Perry, and I feel like the people on these shows are chosen kind of based on skill but mostly on who producers think will make entertaining television. I think there are enough qualified military vets / LEOs out there to include more than only 2 per season.

On the other hand, so many of those guys turned into whiny gossiping divas by the end of S2, maybe the testosterone/estrogen balance is spot on…

i have to back up vj915 on this. honestly, i think if there were more qualified women shooters the producers would include more on the show. especially if they could find good looking ones. it's a male dominated sport as are military and LEO career paths. period. there just ain't that many women out there and even less women who are skilled enough to make the cut much less a half dozen eliminations.

However, my thought is that Top Shot just a reality TV show, not Camp Perry, and I feel like the people on these shows are chosen kind of based on skill but mostly on who producers think will make entertaining television.

On the other hand, so many of those guys turned into whiny gossiping divas by the end of S2, maybe the testosterone/estrogen balance is spot on…

And that is why I do not watch the show. Good concept, poor delivery. If I want whining drama all I have to do is go to work.

• Like 1

And that is why I do not watch the show. Good concept, poor delivery. If I want whining drama all I have to do is go to work.

you are doing yourself a disservice by missing some good shooting..

solution:

* record it on DVR

* play your favorite I tunes playlist

* keep the entire episode muted and start to play the show

* fast forward through the "real world" parts

:icon_e_wink:

i have to back up vj915 on this. honestly

I'm glad that nobody misconstrued what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to say that I don't want women on the show. If they go through the applicants and find that the most qualified shooters are 14 women, and 2 men, then those 14 women and 2 men deserve to be on the show, and I will most certainly still watch it.

you are doing yourself a disservice by missing some good shooting..

solution:

* record it on DVR

* play your favorite I tunes playlist

* keep the entire episode muted and start to play the show

* fast forward through the "real world" parts

:icon_e_wink:

Way too much trouble. I am not missing that much. oh, and I do not have a DVR or an Ipod.