Sign in to follow this  
Wolfy

AZ congresswoman shot

My thoughts and condolences to those affected first hand by this act.

Crazy is crazy, and there is no explaining such acts. Unfortunately the scum responsible for this act does highlight the "lone wolf" theme that was initially discussed, and has become a reoccurring theme when discussing "homegrown terrorism."

Stuff like this makes it important to realize that all of us who are a part of such a community must be respectful of the ROL (and go about trying to change things within the ROLs), and vigilant and police ourselves; or all of us risk the possibility of being broad-stroked as a loony lupis.

Again, my thoughts and condolences to those in AZ right now.

• Like 3

Just heard on Fox News that the gun was "bought legally"....but earlier the sheriff said the nut job had a criminal record... Either the sheriff is lying and someone else purchased the weapon, or the news people don't know WTF they're talking about....It's probably the latter..:facepalm:

Just heard on Fox News that the gun was "bought legally"....but earlier the sheriff said the nut job had a criminal record... Either the sheriff is lying and someone else purchased the weapon, or the news people don't know WTF they're talking about....It's probably the latter..:facepalm:

I read that the issue with the law was when he was a minor. There's very little about that out there right now.

A law enforcement source familiar with the investigation says the Glock model 19 used in the shootings was purchased legally. The official did not have details at this time as to when and where the gun was purchased.

The gun was loaded with a 30-round magazine. The official said it is likely the extended magazine used in the shooting was purchased separately and at a different time. The official said such a magazine does not automatically come with a weapons purchase and that it would be extremely rare for them to be sold together in one purchase.

He was ready for war. He was not playing around," Joe Zamudio told CNN. "He was going to keep shooting. It was not over. He had just ran out of bullets."

The gun, which another bystander had wrestled from the gunman, was empty and cocked open, and the shooter had another magazine at the ready, Zamudio said.

1. If they don't know when and where the gun was purchased, then how do they know it was purchased legally by the defendant? Who purchased the gun?

I just dread that this means more gun control and the Brady bunch is chomping at the bit... It almost seemed like it was gonna get better for us...

Condolences to everyone in AZ, of course. what a tragedy. :facepalm:

Now the finger pointing begins. Hate to say it, but this is VA Tech all over again. When you view the perp's history, in retrospect, it's pretty obvious that this was one disturbed individual. Dropped out of high school. Suspended from college for non-sensical outbursts in the classroom. Rejected by the military. Ramblings with violent overtones on Face Book and You Tube, the list goes on and on.

The kid's parents must have been in denial since they would have been the ones with greatest opportunity to realize the collective impact of all the things I listed. The college suspended him and said he couldn't come back until he'd seen a psychiatrist and was cleared as not a danger to himself or others (so they obviously had suspicions). Instead he withdrew and no one else followed through.

This is a real slippery slope. There are laws in place about firearms ownership and mental illness, but what of the person that "goes round the bend" before anyone notices or does anything? I'm certainly not proposing any new laws, but so many people had to see that this guy was turning into a wingnut, why wasn't anything proactive done. Indeed, CAN anything proactive be done? I don't want to lay this at the feet of the parents, but once the college suspended him with their psychiatric evaluation recommendation, wouldn't you, as a parent, follow through? Especially in light of all the other red flags that transpired. As I said, don't want to blame the parents - maybe he was totally independent of them and they had no knowledge of what was happening with their son - but others sure did, they just had no power to act.

The only thing that is certain in this whole scenario is that the implement used will come under a great deal of scrutiny. Unfortunately, that may take away from anything meaningful that could be done to address the real problem: How do we deal with mental illness in our society? How do we insure that those that need help get it, without imposing on an eccentric, but sane person's rights (for example)? Where is the line drawn and who is responsible for determining if it has been crossed? It's a shame that people are going to focus on the implement and not the actor.

JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Don't be surprised if this isn't used as a call for renewal of AWB.

The news will report ad nauseum "He was using an automatic weapon with a 30 round clip, if the assault weapon ban had been in place, he would have been prevented from obtaining this dangerous assault weapon".

Does anyone know if he was taken down while reloading? That seems to be a common theme in these mass shootings and it argues that mag limits can be effective in reducing casualties.

Count on PB to bring stability.Is this tragic event in AZ a question about gun control, civilian access to firearms and the types of firearms one may have access to...

...or...

...is it a question about healthcare, about accessible mental health in the community, about communal responsibility and people giving a sh-1-t about others, or about the irresponsible diminution of the tax base and social services by legislators...

Just a thought. If there ever was a case of "guns don't kill people, People kill people", this is it. This is about the person, his illness and the fact that he was neither spotted as being disturbed nor offered any treatment when it was evident. It isn't about his gun(s).

I do not condone for one nth of a second the actions he took and I believe we should take no pleasure from it no matter what we think about anything. An apparently mentally disturbed person takes the life of a devoted public servant. There's a whooooole lot to be thinking about here - how this chap got to get and keep his gun is only a small part.

G

Now the finger pointing begins. Hate to say it, but this is VA Tech all over again. When you view the perp's history, in retrospect, it's pretty obvious that this was one disturbed individual. Dropped out of high school. Suspended from college for non-sensical outbursts in the classroom. Rejected by the military. Ramblings with violent overtones on Face Book and You Tube, the list goes on and on.

The kid's parents must have been in denial since they would have been the ones with greatest opportunity to realize the collective impact of all the things I listed. The college suspended him and said he couldn't come back until he'd seen a psychiatrist and was cleared as not a danger to himself or others (so they obviously had suspicions). Instead he withdrew and no one else followed through.

This is a real slippery slope. There are laws in place about firearms ownership and mental illness, but what of the person that "goes round the bend" before anyone notices or does anything? I'm certainly not proposing any new laws, but so many people had to see that this guy was turning into a wingnut, why wasn't anything proactive done. Indeed, CAN anything proactive be done? I don't want to lay this at the feet of the parents, but once the college suspended him with their psychiatric evaluation recommendation, wouldn't you, as a parent, follow through? Especially in light of all the other red flags that transpired. As I said, don't want to blame the parents - maybe he was totally independent of them and they had no knowledge of what was happening with their son - but others sure did, they just had no power to act.

The only thing that is certain in this whole scenario is that the implement used will come under a great deal of scrutiny. Unfortunately, that may take away from anything meaningful that could be done to address the real problem: How do we deal with mental illness in our society? How do we insure that those that need help get it, without imposing on an eccentric, but sane person's rights (for example)? Where is the line drawn and who is responsible for determining if it has been crossed? It's a shame that people are going to focus on the implement and not the actor.

JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

unfortunately.. it is not the item.. it is the mindset..

if it was not a 30 round mag.. it would have been 2 15s...

if it was not 2 15's it would have been 3 10 round mags..

if guns were completely illegal the story would have likely said "stabbed" instead of "shot"..

or worse yet.. maybe he would have fabricated a bomb.. Mcvey (sp?) style... killing everyone in the entire shopping center..

if all weapons were removed from his grasp.. he probably would have just driven his car into those people..

guns don't commit mass murder.. crazy messed up people do...

• Like 2

if guns were completely illegal the story would have likely said "stabbed" instead of "shot"..

or worse yet.. maybe he would have fabricated a bomb.. Mcvey (sp?) style... killing everyone in the entire shopping center..

if all weapons were removed from his grasp.. he probably would have just driven his car into those people..

If any of that happened, it never woulda made the news.

But since a gun was involved.....

This is on NBC right now. I highly enjoyed watching a gentleman who was asked if AZ's gun laws need to be reviewed....he responded that they should not focus on the gun, because any cop there could have had the SAME model gun, and that they should be focusing on the lunatic who committed the crime.

One would think that a mass murder in the district would be enough to bring people to work on a Sunday.

yes, but here is my problem. from what i have heard it was known that this guy was on the edge and he recieved no help.

but now that he has fallen over the edge everyone is jumping up it is doing no good and spending tax dollars when they could have waited one day for normal operating hours.

yes, but here is my problem. from what i have heard it was known that this guy was on the edge and he recieved no help.

but now that he has fallen over the edge everyone is jumping up it is doing no good and spending tax dollars when they could have waited one day for normal operating hours.

A knee jerk reaction, and let's not forget about the double and triple time.

I just read that the 9 year old girl that was killed was Dallas Green's granddaughter. What a shame. Prayers to the wounded and families of the deceased. I also feel bad for the community. I use to live in Tucson and attended the school this scumbag got kicked out of. Guns are embedded in the society in AZ. I don't think there will be any backlash against guns there, but nationally the anti's will have a field day.

This is on NBC right now. I highly enjoyed watching a gentleman who was asked if AZ's gun laws need to be reviewed....he responded that they should not focus on the gun, because any cop there could have had the SAME model gun, and that they should be focusing on the lunatic who committed the crime.

+1 to that individual..

+1 to that individual..

I did watch a short bit of the MSM (ABC) coverage this AM, as I expected, they are FURIOUSLY spinning and trying any trick in to book to cast aspersions on Tea Partiers, conservatives, gun laws, you name it. They sent Georgie Steph out there, and some other op sent out Christiane Amanpour. I would expect extremely biased reporting, innuendo, and outright lies from the media on this one, they are SO bent on blaming TP'ers, its sickening.

I did watch a short bit of the MSM (ABC) coverage this AM, as I expected, they are FURIOUSLY spinning and trying any trick in to book to cast aspersions on Tea Partiers, conservatives, gun laws, you name it. They sent Georgie Steph out there, and some other op sent out Christiane Amanpour. I would expect extremely biased reporting, innuendo, and outright lies from the media on this one, they are SO bent on blaming TP'ers, its sickening.

24 hour news sucks. I wish they would only report what happened, instead of having some pud that can't get a job with Wal Mart security telling us his theory.

if only AZ had CCW....

oh wait, they do

If someone had been carrying at the event and intervened it would have made a difference.

A woman, who was not armed and was shot, grabbed his new magazine when he was changing it out. He was able to get the mag into the gun but the spring in the mag failed(not sure what that means, that is what was reported). At that point, two men tackled the shooter.

One person carrying could have popped this as$hole and stopped the whole thing.