Ray Ray

Downloading magazines

I find that downloading my XD45 tactical and Glock 19 by 2 rounds makes loading and chambering a round a whole lot easier. As far as concealed carry, I don't know what I'd do as I haven't done it yet but what do you guys do?

On a side note my Px4 magazines are factory blocked at 15 but the magazine itself can hold 17 so downloading it doesn't make any sense. 15 rounds in that gun are easy to load and chamber.

90% of the time, my 19 will load fine with one in the chamber and 15 in the mag. But 10% of the time, usually cuz I'm gingerly inserting the magazine and not paying attention, the magazine won't seat correctly. Re-seating it firmly solves the problem, but I'm trying to get into the habit of loading the magazine to 14.

Doesn't seem to be an issue with the 15 round M&P mags.

I think it's the mags themselves, Ray. Certain mags with certain guns don't feed/sit as well or as easy as others.

I've found that 10 rounders tend to sit pretty tight because of the followers. Like with my M&P mags. Had issues even getting the 10th round in. The 15 rounders sit so much easier when full.

90% of the time, my 19 will load fine with one in the chamber and 15 in the mag. But 10% of the time, usually cuz I'm gingerly inserting the magazine and not paying attention, the magazine won't seat correctly. Re-seating it firmly solves the problem, but I'm trying to get into the habit of loading the magazine to 14.

Doesn't seem to be an issue with the 15 round M&P mags.

I can easily get 15 rounds into my M&P 15 rounders but it's hard to get 10 into the 10 rounders.

Jam the magazine full and let it sit for a few weeks to relax the spring.

I can easily get 15 rounds into my M&P 15 rounders but it's hard to get 10 into the 10 rounders.

With the newer 10 rounders that won't work. You have to cut down the followers.

Keeping a spring compressed doesn't "relax" it.

Only cycling a spring (in this case a magazine spring) by loading it and unloading it, or repeatedly compressing and releasing it, will lighten the tension in a spring.

Ray, I know some high speed dudes that download all double-stack pistol mags by one to make tac-loading under stress easier.

Keeping a spring compressed doesn't "relax" it.

Only cycling a spring (in this case a magazine spring) by loading it and unloading it, or repeatedly compressing and releasing it, will lighten the tension in a spring.

Ray, I know some high speed dudes that download all double-stack pistol mags by one to make tac-loading under stress easier.

It seemed to work for me.

Bottom line, is the 15 round M&P magazines are better than the 10 rounders and not just because they hold more.

I load pistol mags to full capacity. Rifle mags are downloaded by two though. Even though PMAGs can take 31, they're still a PITA to execute a tactical reload with during drills. I download to 28 instead of 29 because it keeps the top round on the same side as a full 30rd mag.

Ray, I started downloading AR mags by two back in 1968 and still do now. I have found that even from the same manufacturer some will allow you to insert it fully loaded with the bolt forward and some wouldn't.

The agency I worked for adopted Glocks (17,19, and 26) in 1998. I retired in 2005 and during the 7 years we went through 3 different versions of G19 magazines. Add the original without the steel liner and that makes four types I had experience with. Each one was supposed to be an improvement over the prior but AFAIC they all worked well in the gun. The only exceptions were the originals wouldn't always drop free and the last versions were so tight that many, even after a break in period, would only hold 14. These observations were based on seeing about 3-400 Glocks four times a year and each agent with at least 3 magazines so that's

900-1200 magazines.

Even before the new magazines I usually downloaded by one in any magazine over 10 rds (and my Glock 30) as I felt the ease of reloading outweighed the round I lost in capacity.

I wouldn't be cutting down followers as I figure the engineers at the factory figured out what dimensions they should be.

Funny, I don't own the guns in question. I do find loading an 8 rounder into a 1911 (Wilson Combat mags and Springfield Armory TRP) with a round in the chamber is a little tough.