Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

Bye-Bye Taurus 28 ga Revolver

For those of you that are Judge fans and were chomping at the bit for something with a little bit more ooomph - it looks like you are going to have to put those plans on hold.

The BATFE paid a visit to the Taurus booth on the last day of the SHOT show and told them that they consider their new 28 ga revolver a SBS, not a handgun. Taurus has withdrawn it from the market. There still seems to be some question as to whether Taurus is in hot water, dependent on how they declared the gun when it was imported.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I read a comment on one of the blogs that Taurus intentionally debuted this to one-up the unveiling of S&W's Governor. (Just how could the Taurus attorney's have let this one slip by?) In the software world we would call this vaporware.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/25/big-gun-short-lived-taurus-28-gauge-revolver/

what kinda loads are in a 28 gauge?

It's about %50 more. 1/2oz is the standard target load for 410 and 3/4oz is standard for 28. So I'de assume all types of loads will be roughly %50 more. Just like when the judge came out, there are currently limited (no?) offerings as far as custom defense loads go although just like with the judge once this hits the market im sure all different crazy kinds of 28ga will pop up.

oh okay, i see what you mean. Yeah, there are some good 410 loads now, especially the winchester PDX1 load.

another question, what is the diameter of a 28 gauge slug?

BP offers a "light game" slug for handloading that is .505 in diameter and weighs 183 grs. 3"

.410 loads scale up to 11/16 oz. in the 3" shell size while the 2 1/2" shell has traditionally been 1/2 oz. The standard classic 28 ga. load is 3/4 oz., but ammomakers for a few years now have been making 1 oz. loads for the 28. ga. at the behest of hunters looking for improved pattern density with larger shot sizes. But the beauty of the 28 ga. is in the balance of the 3/4 oz. load for its small bore. It can't be made into a 20 ga.

Post on Gun Broker somewhere said it was back on? BATF said is was OK.

I think the problem is with the SBS designation.... it doesnt FIT the drfinition of SBS..What I CAN see is it being deemd an AOW...which means $5.00 Tax Stamp as opposed to a $200.00 Tax Stamp Sounds to me like some ATF Weenie stepped on his or her Genitalia at SHOT and overreacted to this.

So make a 500 S&W magnum revolver that can chamber 28 gauge shotgun shells. Wow, that would be cool.

Cant, because the 500 is .50 caliber.... not .55 and anything over .5 from groove to groove is a DD. I think the first desert eagles were illegal because they measured .5" from land to land and slightly over .5 from groove to groove.

I have no clue how taurus is getting around that

The largest handgun caliber you'll get in the form of a shotshell is in the .45 Long Colt. The CCI Blazer shotshell shows 150 grains of #9 shot at 1,000 ft./sec. You'll get a nasty sting with it, but no killing power.

• Like 1